Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Munster derby that has been missing for years with the novelty especially for Waterford fans and with the chance to go top of the league. Hardly that surprising!
    2nd biggest team in Ireland playing up the road against the former champs in 3 out of the last 4 years. 2nd v 4th etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    2nd biggest team in Ireland playing up the road against the former champs in 3 out of the last 4 years. 2nd v 4th etc...
    Rovers fans will rise to that one....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't mind people calling us the second biggest team in Ireland as long as they acknowledge we're the biggest too.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Yer B team was scrapped remember! Linfield I suppose could be argued would be ahead but thats not really Ireland!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You're miles off now. Everybody knows Linfield haven't been our B team since Mannus and Turner left.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bohs V Limerick 1674

Pats V Bray 1270

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yer B team was scrapped remember! Linfield I suppose could be argued would be ahead but thats not really Ireland!

You must be joking on the biggest team in all of Ireland, being Linfield, they are not even getting 2k these days and have had a terrible Euro record for the last 10 years. Have a look at the goals round up at 5pm on bbc Ni on tv. Most of their premier is mid table LOI and some is no better than our FD.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    3,056 Dundalk v Shams.
    I think anything over 3k has to be considered a good attendance, season highest is 3,500 v Cork so far, there is probably potential to get a little more, but maybe not that much more.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    You must be joking on the biggest team in all of Ireland, being Linfield, they are not even getting 2k these days and have had a terrible Euro record for the last 10 years. Have a look at the goals round up at 5pm on bbc Ni on tv. Most of their premier is mid table LOI and some is no better than our FD.
    Depends on what defines 'biggest'! Tallest team, most titles/history and prestige et al. Big average gate doesnt define a clubs status imo, If that was the case then Newcastle would be giants of the English game. Its a combination of everything of course but yes if talking about the biggest clubs on this island then Linfield have to be under consideration, Rovers, Dundalk would be included. Cork are a young club who have just won their 3rd title (1st depending on the whole going in to administration thing) so not yet worthy!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    I suppose with a seating capacity of over 3,000+ in both stands and possibly another 1,000 allowed standing around perimeter and grass banking (if its not too mucky), the club may be allocated a capacity of closer to 4,000!
    The grass bank is gone nearly ten years. That went when the new stand was built, a new car park in turn was built behind the goal where the grass bank was

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    There was an article I read last month or so on twitter, can't locate it but it listed clubs in the whole of Ireland per average attendance, it was something like this. (2017 figures)

1/ Cork (4.5 k approx)
    2/ Dundalk (2.8)
    3/ Rovers (2.8)
    4/ Bohs (2k)
    5/ Linfield (1.8)
    6/ Sligo (1.6)
    7/ Derry**
    8/ St Pats (1.3)
    9/ Glentoran (1.2)
    10/ Limerick (1.1)

** Derry figures took into account Buncrana 1,500 max, and I dont think the IL champions of Crusaders were even listed, possibly just under 1k as their avg.

Waterford were not included as this was 2017, but if this year they would have gone into the top 4

Not sure if it was Dlk or Rovers listed 2 or 3, could have been vice versa.

Figures listed in brackets estimates on what I recall seeing, may also have been over a few seasons, open for correction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    And yet some of the best spectator facilities on the island are in the Irish League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Correct on IL grounds, but most clubs in their top div have got consistent and proper government grants to help rebuilding and most have at least one brand new stand in place.

Personally speaking I think they should consider summer football and change to evening kick offs, 3pm on a Saturday seems madness to me, but I don't think there is an appetite to change either, and as such I don't see their attendances improving.

It might be argued our attendances have not improved massively summer v winter but the pitches have, Euro performances too and the overall fan experience has too. Who in their right mind would want to go back to freezing Friday nights in Nov / Dec / Feb.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Correct on IL grounds, but most clubs in their top div have got consistent and proper government grants to help rebuilding and most have at least one brand new stand in place.

Personally speaking I think they should consider summer football and change to evening kick offs, 3pm on a Saturday seems madness to me, but I don't think there is an appetite to change either, and as such I don't see their attendances improving.

It might be argued our attendances have not improved massively summer v winter
    but the pitches have, Euro performances too and the overall fan experience has too. Who in their right mind would want to go back to freezing Friday nights in Nov / Dec / Feb.
    I know it's still early in the season yet, but there does seem to have been a noticeable increase in attendances across the league this season. Probably a range of reasons for that, of which Summer football isn't necessarily one though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Waterford's average attendance so far is 2668. The combined weekly average of the three teams we replaced was 3443 or 1148 each so going from twelve to ten clubs hasn't hit the total Premier attendance much.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    No attendance given that I know of at CCS on Saturday but look at the highlights and you’ll see an empty stand. I’d say 300 ish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Friday 20th it is possible to have all games get above the 2000 mark, the average will be 2000+ for sure. That would have to be a potential record high across the fixtures? There will be a a few weekends like that although Monday/ Tuesday fixtures will probably pull the average figures lower. Be nice if it happened!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Drogs supposedly got 450 v UCD. Seemed more than that to me. I've been to two games in United Park this year and crowds seem to be about the same size as last season in the Premier. The club should really give an official figure.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    667 at Tolka on Friday night. Hopefully get a bigger crowd against Galway on Friday week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Thats indeed true but for people who think that top facilities mean top crowds would be mistaken. I dont think that a brand new stand and away section especially would add significantly to the average attendances. That only 2 IL clubs, the big 2 in Belfast, would be in the top 10 of attendances and yet even the smaller clubs have tidy grounds would have investors question the value of ground developments in real teams ie bums on seats.

Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast