Thread: sky sports

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    so an extra 20 mill from sky allows them to but and pay players
    Are you saying that Sky gives every Premiership club £20m a year, or when a team gets promoted to the Premier division.?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    main reason for reduction in attendences is coz of the reductions in the number of seats due to health and saftey ( example attendence at a mersey side derby years ago could be around 100,000 now its 40,000) does that mean less want to see it because its on telly of coarse not they cant fit in the ground
    I'll ignore the 100,000 comment, but attendances are falling in the last few seasons, in the premiership at least. This is nothing to do with health and safety, as they've all been all seater for many years now (with exception of Fulham). It's over saturation of TV football and the loss of competitiveness for the title. The next TV deal will be less if it's a joint deal, if not it'll go the Italian way of individual club rights which will further widen the gap.

Flicked over to the boro match last night - loads of empty seats, for a european match ffs. Ditto both them and the barcodes the previous games.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    Are you saying that Sky gives every Premiership club £20m a year, or when a team gets promoted to the Premier division.?

yes each club gets 16 million as a base fee then every time you are shown you get 1.5 mill every team gets shown at least 4 times so about 20 mill .

this is why utd got shown so much coz sky owned shares in them the more utd were shown the more money they get they better players they can buy the better the club does the share price went up sky sold them made a killing

as for the next comment about the reduction in attendences id like to see where these facts are coming from and why if attendences are falling are clubs expanding there stadiums , utd , everton, liverpool ,arsenil are all looking to expand in recent year boro newcastle sunderland southampton portsmouth chelsea etc have all added seats !!!

IS THIS COZ THEY LIKE TO HAVE EMPTY SEATS ???

have a look at this

http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/article/...D56148,00.html

if it doesnt work here are a few points ive cut and pasted ive put this one first as it relates to attendences ( it is from the 02/03 season ill check for more up to date one if i get a chance at lunch ) but note to 3 % increase not reduction in attendences

Premiership clubs’ matchday income increased to £363m – driven by a 3% increase in Premiership attendances, more European matches and increased ticket yield.

In 2002/03 the 92 top professional clubs generated total revenue of £1,658m – up 4% from 2001/02.
    The total revenue of Premiership clubs was £1,246m, up 10% on 2001/02 (£1,132m) maintaining the League’s position as the ‘European and world champions’ in terms of revenue generation.
    The loss of ITV Digital monies resulted in total Football League clubs’ revenue falling by 12% to £412m – the majority of the drop occurring in Division One (down 14% to £255m).
    Manchester United headed the Premiership ‘revenue league table’ at £175m, followed by Liverpool and Arsenal (both at £104m). At the other end of the table was West Bromwich Albion (£28m). In 2002/03, the average Premiership club generated revenue of £62.3m.

Commercial revenue was almost unchanged, at £340m in total, in part reflecting the tough market for sponsorship and advertising.
    The Premiership clubs’ largest source of revenue came from broadcasting – 44% of the total at £543m. Looking back a few years, broadcasting was the smallest revenue source. In 1996/97, broadcasting monies were less than £100m, representing just 21% of Premiership clubs’ total revenue and, in 1991/92, were less than 10% of revenues at a mere £15m.
    Last edited by anto1208; 11/03/2005 at 8:28 AM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Reasons I don't like SKY:

(a) Obsession with refereeing decisions and referees. There is a programme called "Goals on SUnday". Should be called "Referees on Sunday". They have made what is a difficult task just about impossible. Andy Gray hates every referee and spends most of the time commentating on the ref rather than the game. They always talk about the ref showing "common sense". This is usually in the context of of a player, who is already booked, kicking a ball away or doing something stupid to get a second booking. No mention of the stupid player showing common sense. I believe that their attitude to refs has permeated the game at all levels making the game almost unmanageable. It's is an impossible job made even harder.

(b) The hype over some pretty ordinary fare. Everton in a Champions League spot - Premiership the best in the world. You've got to be joking. And no, you can't ignore the hype as someone suggested. It's in your face.

(c) The rich are getting richer.

There are plus points of course. They do show some Football League games and highlights. They were the innovators with camera angles. Live football. news programme on a Saturday with updates on all the games.

I think the + outweigh the - (otherwise I wouldn't be a subscriber). BUt Andy Gray with his big bull head does get under my skin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I think the problems I'd have with Sky are they overhype the games and have games kicking off at times that suit them not the fans.Eg Liverpools fans having to get to places like Norwich and Southampton for 12.45 kick offs and Chelsea fans having to travel to Liverpool for early kick offs v Liverpool and Everton.Also their involvement has led to greater greed from players,clubs and agents and ticket prices going up every year.
    I would agree that their coverage is top quality,the camera angles are good and they have changed football on tv forever.However,theres too many games on tv though and the signs are there that overkill has been reached with falling tv figures for games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    sky sports one is free now
    Is this true?
    On satellite only, or on NTL as well?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    Is this true?
    On satellite only, or on NTL as well?
    i have sky and get bbc1&2 itv(not utv) channel 4 channel 5 , sky one sky sports 1 sky movies 1 , one music channel and its for free it was with the aptartment when i moved in so ive no idea what it is think its called free view !

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    i have sky and get bbc1&2 itv(not utv) channel 4 channel 5 , sky one sky sports 1 sky movies 1 , one music channel and its for free it was with the aptartment when i moved in so ive no idea what it is think its called free view !
    That's just your apartment block set up. Freeview doesn't have Sky one, sky sports or sky movies (sky news and sky sports news).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    That's just your apartment block set up. Freeview doesn't have Sky one, sky sports or sky movies (sky news and sky sports news).
    i better not ask questions since ive been there 2 years and have never paid a sky bill

but im allmost sure ive seen some where that sky sports one is free now it may be with a new digi box or some thing i dont know any way

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Reasons I don't like SKY:

(a) Obsession with refereeing decisions and referees. There is a programme called "Goals on SUnday". Should be called "Referees on Sunday". They have made what is a difficult task just about impossible. Andy Gray hates every referee and spends most of the time commentating on the ref rather than the game. They always talk about the ref showing "common sense". This is usually in the context of of a player, who is already booked, kicking a ball away or doing something stupid to get a second booking. No mention of the stupid player showing common sense. I believe that their attitude to refs has permeated the game at all levels making the game almost unmanageable. It's is an impossible job made even harder.

(b) The hype over some pretty ordinary fare. Everton in a Champions League spot - Premiership the best in the world. You've got to be joking. And no, you can't ignore the hype as someone suggested. It's in your face.

(c) The rich are getting richer.

There are plus points of course. They do show some Football League games and highlights. They were the innovators with camera angles. Live football. news programme on a Saturday with updates on all the games.

I think the + outweigh the - (otherwise I wouldn't be a subscriber). BUt Andy Gray with his big bull head does get under my skin.
    i all fairness refs are rubbish now adays perfect example is the foul on baros the in champs league clear penelty but nothing given , but i do hate to see all this crowding around the ref after every decision . tv ref is the best option , for example in a utd game by the time the nevills have stopped moaning to the ref you could have watched a replay 4 or 5 times .plus the fa should hit them with some pretty hefty fines/suspentions players like rooney it would soon shut him up !.
    the common sence thing i understand what you are saying but when im playing and everything is going against you its very easy to boot the ball away you just dont think for a second .

everton being in forth all season is pretty impressive they finished 17th last year lost rooney spent 2.4 mill and have been in 4th since sept. in my book thats worth talking about .
    and they never say the prem is the best in the world they say its one of the most exciting which it is ! if it was nt you would nt keep tuneing into it .

and the rich get richer in every league and every aspect of life (everton and liverpool where some of the richest in the 80's long before sky came along .)

ill agree with trev about the times sometimes are poorly thought out but this happens in every league , liverpool fans travel to norwich for 12 o clock on a sunday , cork city fans have to travel to dublin for a 7 oclock kick off on a fri night which is impossible if you finish work at 5 30

on andy gray its just personal taste i think he is good he knows football rather than just names and dates !!, but you get this on every channel mark lauranson is a idiot , brady is a idiot ,.

and on the hype they only advertise there own shows on there own channels if this is over hype then rte tv3 etc are just as guilty do you see how much tv3 advertises its own stuff ?
    Last edited by anto1208; 11/03/2005 at 12:29 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Richard Keyes is a nob of the highest order. Jeff Skelling is the most talented sports presenter on TV IMO.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i all fairness refs are rubbish now adays perfect example is the foul on baros the in champs league clear penelty but nothing given?

I don't think the standard of refs has got worse what i think has happened is that there is more games on tv now so we get to see al the incidents again and again. Got to remember there can be upto i think 24 cameras at games now where before we had maybe 6 or 8 so we are seeing far more now then we ever did.
    I think you are right about the Nevilles thay are always bleeding moaning. Same with Savage of Blackburn and Cahill of Everton.
    I have seen this in games i have been to this year and they are basically in the refs face for half the game.
    Also Joe Cole falls into that cat. aswell.
    I am only going on what games i have been to in the Prem. this year and what players i saw.
    I hate moaners

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My problem with Sky Sports : Richard fúcking Keyes !!! A complete and utter *******, I hate him.
    Bye bye Stan. Go off back to collecting cones you useless git.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I take it you don't like him then

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaran76
    I hate moaners
    you must be driven mad on this site so its full of them

"andy gray is crap , they hate this presenter or that annalist etc etc"

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    i all fairness refs are rubbish now adays perfect example is the foul on baros the in champs league clear penelty but nothing given ,the common sence thing i understand what you are saying but when im playing and everything is going against you its very easy to boot the ball away you just dont think for a second .

on andy gray its just personal taste i think he is good he knows football rather than just names and dates !!, but you get this on every channel mark lauranson is a idiot , brady is a idiot ,.

and on the hype they only advertise there own shows on there own channels if this is over hype then rte tv3 etc are just as guilty do you see how much tv3 advertises its own stuff ?
    The referees are no better or worse than they used to be. It's just the TV now shows up all their mistakes. Have you ever tried refereeing a game with people diving and cheating and snarling at you ? He got the Baros dive correct for the 2nd one. If you live by the dive, you'll die by the dive.

Why are Brady and Lawrenson idiots ? Brady usually calls it correct far more often than most pundits.

ANdy Gray mostly commentates on the referee and on the game as an aside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12