Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Away goals rule - important but not THAT important and Sky hype

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts

Away goals rule - important but not THAT important and Sky hype

Of the 7 games played in the CL last 16, I don't think one was won on the away goals rule. Pundits almost have orgasims talking about the away goal and when someone scores a goal away from home - they don't describe it as a goal, rather as the mystical entity known as an "away goal". They're important of course but they are primarily just goals (2 for Barca didn't help them go through).

But where would we be without the Sky hype ? The commentator Alan Parry used the word "brilliant" 12 times in his last commentary in what was an average game.

Also does Andy Gray's constant harping on about referees also annoy anyone else ? He perpetually moaned about the ref in the Arsenal vs Bayern game last night but the commentator on TV3 thought he did a good job. Impossible job made even harder by the likes of Gray.

Bring back Philip Green !!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Of the 7 games played in the CL last 16, I don't think one was won on the away goals rule. Pundits almost have orgasims talking about the away goal and when someone scores a goal away from home - they don't describe it as a goal, rather as the mystical entity known as an "away goal". They're important of course but they are primarily just goals (2 for Barca didn't help them go through).

But where would we be without the Sky hype ? The commentator Alan Parry used the word "brilliant" 12 times in his last commentary in what was an average game.

Also does Andy Gray's constant harping on about referees also annoy anyone else ? He perpetually moaned about the ref in the Arsenal vs Bayern game last night but the commentator on TV3 thought he did a good job. Impossible job made even harder by the likes of Gray.

Bring back Philip Green !!

sky hype what are you worried about its only idiots that get sucked in by hype , if the same game is on sky or rte or tv3 ill watch sky every time better cameras better every thing , ill just flick to rte at half time to listen to john and eamon

the ref in the arsnel games was rubbish got so much wrong card happy one minute no cards the next very inconsistent .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Andy Gray's commentary in the Liverpool vs Olympiakos game a few months ago defied belief it was so biased. Clive Tyldsley the other night was even worse.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Andy Gray is an idiot. He hypes up crap games and tries to create incidents when they don't exist.
    I really can't stand the guy. Again Sky do have more camera's etc etc which is great but as others do i swap back to RTE or Net2 for the after match analysis.
    Andy Gray makes me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Giles and Dunphy are passe. They're like the two old fella in Sesame Street. They both usually sing from the same hymm sheet with Laughing Bill knowing so little about football he can't contradict them. Dunphy had written off Liverpool and Benitez weeks ago - last night after the game Benitez was the greatest thing since sliced pan. He's always at that. He contradicts himself week in, week out. He's a joke as a pundit and 75% of the time calls it wrong. He might be entertaining but he knows shag all and is a poisonous little dwarf.

Pundits I rate: Giles (when co-commentating), Ron Atkinson, Lawrenson and Brady (he's usually spot on), Charlie Nicolas.

Average: Hansen, Houghton, Venables.

Poor: Brooking, Robson & Pleat (both wafflers), Lineker.

Irritating: Andy Gray, Chris Kamara, Alan McNally.

Total plonker: Dumphy

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    reminds me of reading a Red Issue (Man U fanzine) many many years ago, around the time of the birth of the Premiership & Sky love-in.

On the back page was a list of made up quotes. The things they never said.............

Richard Keys "This is a very average game we have here"
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pleat
    Ahh, the Nightstalker himself! Great Memories of him co-commendating the championship decider in Anfield in 1989.

'and I think Liverpool throughly deserve the league championship............'(followed rather quickly by my signature below)

Gotta love a man who has helped run the Spuds into the ground!
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Best Pleat memory has to be on the pitch, siddy versus luton.

afaik it's part of the sky contract to "be positive" about games.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=OwlsFan

Brady (he's usually spot on),

:[/QUOTE]

brady you are kidding he hasnt a clue ! he is rubbish

eamon is class its so boring when all the pundits just agree with each other it needs excitment .

ciaran 76 thats rubbish what you said about gray trying to create incendents! last two games ive seen he was the one playing down all the silly stuff about missiles on the pitch etc ...

stutgard 86 of coarse he is biased when british clubs are playing foreign clubs he is british ,

if it was nt for sky utd wouldnt be so big they owned shares in utd so it was in there best interest to show them a lot this is where most of utds money came from .

i am delighted that sky have taken over the prem its so much better now than what it used to be .

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Giles and Dunphy are passe. They're like the two old fella in Sesame Street. They both usually sing from the same hymm sheet with Laughing Bill knowing so little about football he can't contradict them. Dunphy had written off Liverpool and Benitez weeks ago - last night after the game Benitez was the greatest thing since sliced pan. He's always at that. He contradicts himself week in, week out. He's a joke as a pundit and 75% of the time calls it wrong. He might be entertaining but he knows shag all and is a poisonous little dwarf.

Pundits I rate: Giles (when co-commentating), Ron Atkinson, Lawrenson and Brady (he's usually spot on), Charlie Nicolas.

Average: Hansen, Houghton, Venables.

Poor: Brooking, Robson & Pleat (both wafflers), Lineker.

Irritating: Andy Gray, Chris Kamara, Alan McNally.

Total plonker: Dumphy

Have to agree with you about Dunphy sure classic case after the Mancs/Arsenal game in October he said in his article in the daily star on monday that they would go on and win both the premiership and the champions league and was raving about Fergie and now hes lashing them out of it. Giles is another one he really hunts with the hound though he does talk sense at times!!!

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Ahh, the Nightstalker himself! Great Memories of him co-commendating the championship decider in Anfield in 1989.

'and I think Liverpool throughly deserve the league championship............'(followed rather quickly by my signature below)

Gotta love a man who has helped run the Spuds into the ground!
    hes a plonker Pleat though he did actually say that night that IF Liverpool go on to win the league now which it looks like they will deserve it

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For match analysis you cant beat RTE in my opinion
    Dunphy, Giles and Brady makes great viewing, at least they say what they are thinking.
    I dont necassarily agree with alot of what they have to say but its still good to watch.

As for that ****ehawk Clive Tysley ................

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmenToThat
    For match analysis you cant beat RTE in my opinion
    Dunphy, Giles and Brady makes great viewing, at least they say what they are thinking.
    I dont necassarily agree with alot of what they have to say but its still good to watch.

As for that ****ehawk Clive Tysley ................
    Yes i agree that seem to say what they are thinking. I think it is harder for the BBC or Sky pundits to do this as players and managers will not give interviews if they don't like what the pundits are saying.
    Even though i reckon most people don't give a toss what the players say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    [QUOTE=anto1208]

Brady (he's usually spot on),

:[/QUOTE

brady you are kidding he hasnt a clue ! he is rubbish

eamon is class its so boring when all the pundits just agree with each other it needs excitment . .
    Dunphy a class act - what a joke!! Your definition of class is someone who spouts his mouth off, gets it wrong most of the time, agrees with John Giles most of the time (as long as he isn't attacking Keane), launches personal attacks on people or players who can't defend themselves, contradicts himself week in, week out. Frankly you'd be better off getting a comedian on instead of Dunphy because he'd entertain you more and probably know more about football.

Brady's predictions are far more accurate than Dunphy's but then that wouldn't be hard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    10 games so far in knock-out phase of the Champions/Runners Up/Third Place(forsomecountries) League. None decided as yet on the all important "away goal rule". Possibility tonight though (Juve 1-0) and the other 0-0 but we shall see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    And forgot to mention: the ITV Panel last night of the laughing Terry Venables (becomes more of a caricature of himself everyday) and Gabby Yoghurt - what a joke. No worthwhile analysis of the game - all that mattered was where Mourinho was watching the game!! Who gives a damn ? Sigh! TV soccer reporting gone mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Not one of the 12 games of the last 2 rounds decided on the away goals rule and yet we'll hear so much waffle about it. Sorry to go on about this - just one of my pet hates that when someone scores a goal away from home, it's not treated as a goal but rather as a mystical entity known as an "away goal".

What's the betting both semis will be decided on the away goals rule

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    At last a game decided on the away goals rule: 1 out of 14 despite all the hype about the away goal.

Poor PSV: if ever a team deserved to go through, it was they. Apparently they rely on good scouting in South America for many of their players. Expect the other teams to follow suit.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dunphy a class act - what a joke!! Your definition of class is someone who spouts his mouth off, gets it wrong most of the time, agrees with John Giles most of the time (as long as he isn't attacking Keane), launches personal attacks on people or players who can't defend themselves, contradicts himself week in, week out. Frankly you'd be better off getting a comedian on instead of Dunphy because he'd entertain you more and probably know more about football.

Brady's predictions are far more accurate than Dunphy's but then that wouldn't be hard
    im not saying he is right or even a good expert but its a lot more enjoyable when its bill john and eamon having a heated disscussion instead of brady and ray with peter collins droaning on about rubbish . but brady doesnt have a clue which he proved from his own stint as a manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    . but brady doesnt have a clue which he proved from his own stint as a manager
    I would disagree that Brady doesn't have a clue. It doesn't take a genius to acknowlege that his time at both Brighton and Celtic didn't work well for liam although It should also be acknowledged that both teams were suffering badly at the time of his appointments. He mightn't be great to listen to on the box but who are we to say he doesn't have a clue

He's been excpetional in recent years working with the youth players at Arsenal and bringing through some good players who are now playing at a decent level in the game albeit in many cases not at Arsenal. I don't think you can not have a clue and then be able to develop and mould players from youth through to reserves through to premiership first teamers. In effect we are saying that probably the most gifted footballer this country has produced knows nothing about the game. I can't go agree with that.

Some of the players he's coached and helped develop in recent years have included

Fransesc Fabregas (Arsenal & Spain)
    Ashley Cole (Arsenal & England)
    Mathew Upson (Birmingham & England)
    Justin Hoyte (Arsenal)
    Jermaine Pennant (Birmingham)
    Jerome Thomas (Charlton)
    Rohann Ricketts (Formally Spurs, now Wolves)

and of course at present working with some excellent Irish youth players such as Anthony Stokes & Patrick Creagg.

Brady's a good football man with a indept knowledge of the game and having witnessed his coaching sessions in operation both here in Ireland and at London Colney, he is definetly a good coach.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast