Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Chiedozie Ogbene M Ipswich b.1997

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    This would be a great move. I watched a lot of Luton last season, and Ogbene is one of the fastest players I've ever seen.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    And for that reason alone I'd have him as a starter for Ireland all the time, and ideally not as some auxillary defender or wing back. His speed is devastating and while his decision making can be frustrating he's one of only a few players we have who top class opponents won't like playing against.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    And for that reason alone I'd have him as a starter for Ireland all the time, and ideally not as some auxillary defender or wing back. His speed is devastating and while his decision making can be frustrating he's one of only a few players we have who top class opponents won't like playing against.
    Agreed. He brings a vitality to the team that we need. His speed is indeed devastating but he is also strong, can hold the ball up well, win set pieces and has an eye for goal. His performance against France in Dublin was exceptional.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Wouldn't be surprised if we stick with 3-4-3. Your three CBs and two 6s playing in front of the back three with Chiezdozie on the right and god knows who on the left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if we stick with 3-4-3. Your three CBs and two 6s playing in front of the back three with Chiezdozie on the right and god knows who on the left.
    There are a lot of good reasons why a formation with 3 at the back almost has to be our default. I've been saying that for a while. Of the usual crop (assuming there are no surprise call ups), probably O'Dowda for now is our best option on the left?

How would you structure that front 3 with two sitters? I'd probably look at tucking two in behind the front man. 3-4-2-1 - - wing backs would need to be up and down all night though. Would be tough.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    There are a lot of good reasons why a formation with 3 at the back almost has to be our default. I've been saying that for a while.
    It certainly maximises our ability to get as many of our best defenders on the pitch, playing in their natural positions, as possible. On the other hand, 4-5-1 maybe squeezes more out of the attack: I'd rather Ogbene and Johnston either side of a lone striker than try to generate width using, say, Brady and Doherty. It also gives us more bodies in central midfield, where we aren't great. Your solution, with essentially 2+2 in central and attacking mid is also interesting, though I think it asks a lot of our wingbacks.

Of the usual crop (assuming there are no surprise call ups), probably O'Dowda for now is our best option on the left?
    I'd written off Brady as crocked, but he played quite a lot of football last year and did well for us in the summer. He's not especially old either. Left back or wingback is going to be somewhere to explore anyway as every candidate has downsides.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    He's very fast, committed and has the heart of a lion
    But my God his decision making skills are awful.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    The issue with trying to get 3 center backs on the field is we've discovered that the wide options aren't good enough to accommodate it, and until we have a really good left sided defensive player I kind of feel like we're on a hiding to nothing with that one, you need an incredible engine for it. A 4-5-1 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3 depending on the situation might suit better, and just keep the fullbacks at home, or let Doherty roam if he's playing and have the defense shift in to a 3 then in those specific situations. That's where I think O' Shea/Scales could be the better option on the left until someone else comes along.

I'm not sure the right wing/back hand side is really in much better shape as Doc and Coleman both age, Alan Browne had that one good game, Ogbene might be wasted there although could also be excellent. Festy needs to play football. I think our Fullback/wing back options aren't great so maybe they need to play deeper and tighter to the centre backs to get caught out of position. Play a lot of midfielders to compensate for nt having any standouts, we do at least have a few options for high energy, Moloumby/Knight, with Smallbone/Cullen being a bit better on the ball. Play Schmodics behind Idah

Everyone would have their own opinion on which options would be best from the ones below, and obviously discount the injuries in the short term, but something like:

Kelleher/O' Leary/Bazunu/Travers

Coleman/Doc -- Collins -- O' Shea/Scales/O' Brien/Omobamedele -- Scales/O' Shea

Cullen/Smallbone/Browne -- Knight/Moloumby

Schmodics/Parrott/Mcgrath/Browne

Festy/O' Dowda/Ogbene -- Idah/Parrott/Ferguson/Robinson -- McGrath/Knight/Johnston/O' Dowda/Robinson

I've left tons of players out because this post has already gotten out of hand and I probably should have just picked my preferred 11, but here we are

I could see times when we make a box in midfield, if McGrath/ knight were on the left wing, and someone like Browne behind a striker, leaving Ogbene and a front man up top to cause problems when under pressure and playing England, I just think we will die if we leave the flanks that exposed with a 3-4-3
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 27/08/2024 at 4:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It certainly maximises our ability to get as many of our best defenders on the pitch, playing in their natural positions, as possible. On the other hand, 4-5-1 maybe squeezes more out of the attack: I'd rather Ogbene and Johnston either side of a lone striker than try to generate width using, say, Brady and Doherty. It also gives us more bodies in central midfield, where we aren't great. Your solution, with essentially 2+2 in central and attacking mid is also interesting, though I think it asks a lot of our wingbacks.

I'd written off Brady as crocked, but he played quite a lot of football last year and did well for us in the summer. He's not especially old either. Left back or wingback is going to be somewhere to explore anyway as every candidate has downsides.
    Yeah - it really does and you look at the list of candidates and it just doesnt inspire. Doherty can probably still just about do it and Ogbene can, in theory at least, but neither option truly solves the problem on the left (Brady, Stevens, McClean, Manning) if you dont rate O'Dowda (and he is iffy at best at the end of the day). Has anyone seen much of Dennis Cirkin? He doesnt seem to really want to play for us but is he any good? I havent seen much of him at all to give an assessment. He fits the profile overall.

On the 2+2 in the middle, yeah, I've been trying to find a way to make it work for a while. I think it is definitely worth a look if you can solve the problems out wide and still want 3 at the back. It would be interesting to have Azaz as one of those (quick, strong, technically proficient - so can do a job facing both directions and press well) and maybe Parrott or Sammie (who can press and support well in transitions to attack). Ferguson up top. It fails quickly if you dont have proper wing backs though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Cirkin likely won't make a decision on his international future for another year until he's overage for the U21s. Even then could turn around and say he'd rather wait for one England cap rather than play for us or Latvia.

If I was HH and given our issues I'd be hitting him up for a chat and making him an offer to be our starting LB or LWB.

He's had his issues with injuries the last couple of seasons but fans have been full of praise for him so far this season.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    f I was HH and given our issues I'd be hitting him up for a chat and making him an offer to be our starting LB or LWB.
    Wasn't that what was reported / mentioned as being his terms when Stephen Kenny met him ?

People are talking about this guy as though it's simply a matter of talking to him and as though this hasn't already been done. Kenny met this player & that wasn't any secret.

Do we agree with a player saying he has to start in order to play for us ? I'd be inclined to give a two word answer to that, the second word is, off.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Wasn't that what was reported / mentioned as being his terms when Stephen Kenny met him ?

People are talking about this guy as though it's simply a matter of talking to him and as though this hasn't already been done. Kenny met this player & that wasn't any secret.

Do we agree with a player saying he has to start in order to play for us ? I'd be inclined to give a two word answer to that, the second word is, off.
    Thought that was Jack McGylnn. Kenny and Crawford spoke with him and said he'd be open to joining but would have to be for the seniors.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieK View Post
    Speaking after his squad announcement on Thursday afternoon, Stephen Kenny hinted that Cirkin was someone he would consider bringing on board.

I know all about Dennis. He declared for England, so we’ll have to see on that one.

He’s just focussing on Sunderland this season. I’ve asked that question and I’m not even 100% sure. It’s yet to be confirmed that he can switch and he hasn’t applied to do so.
    https://www.balls.ie/football/stephe...-cirkin-557385

& I read somewhere else around this time that yer man said he'd have to be a starter when they met, or a pundit said it, or something like that.

Anyway, the player has been met, invited, the door held open, the offer made, had his balls tongued, etc and he'll switch if & when it suits him whatever HH does or doesn't do.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    https://www.balls.ie/football/stephe...-cirkin-557385

& I read somewhere else around this time that yer man said he'd have to be a starter when they met, or a pundit said it, or something like that.

Anyway, the player has been met, invited, the door held open, the offer made, had his balls tongued, etc and he'll switch if & when it suits him whatever HH does or doesn't do.
    Absolutely agree. Every time I hear his name I think of the game where he got sent off against our under 17s and I find it hard to imagine him in green

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Is that Paul nebel of mainz still eligible or a target?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Is that Paul nebel of mainz still eligible or a target?
    he's 22 in October, so if he is still eligible, and is interested, they'll have to act fast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    he's 22 in October, so if he is still eligible, and is interested, they'll have to act fast
    Can you clarify this Tets? What would stop him from joining us at age 22, 23, etc?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Nebel played 10 minutes in an Under 21 qualifier for Germany back in March. This was after his 21st birthday. I believe he's a granny ruler, so that would mean he's now ineligible unless he had gotten his Irish citizenship sorted years ago before his first competitive appearance for Germany at Under 17 level (unlikely).

Edit - in fact he seems to have told the Mainz website in 2021 that he "doesn't have an Irish passport yet", so that means he's ineligible now.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 28/08/2024 at 6:14 AM.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Move confirmed. £8m and given a reported 4- year deal.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/a...s/cdjwn348l72o

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Ipswich getting promoted has been a godsend for Irish players this year. Seems the Welsh lad Burns getting injured led to this signing coming about which is a nice piece of luck for Ogbene. Can actually put together a decent looking team of Irish Premier League players for once.

Kelleher
    Doherty Collins O'Brien O'Shea
    Smallbone Taylor
    Ogbene Szmodics McAteer
    Ferguson

In fact, swap in Molumby or Knight for Taylor and that wouldn't be a bad starting team for the upcoming games.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 28/08/2024 at 9:42 AM.

27. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast