Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Televised Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    In my never ending quest to spread the gospel I brought a loi Virgin along last night. Loved the atmosphere and intends going to dundalk match...never been at a live football match before. We have a great product need to keep selling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    ... hasn't there been an unwritten tradition of airing the champions in the first game of the season?
    Yes, there was - until the Michael D Cup came along. It makes less sense to air a Champions' match again the following week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebray View Post
    Yes, there was - until the Michael D Cup came along. It makes less sense to air a Champions' match again the following week.
    Wait, was last Sundays game on tv after all?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    The only airing I got of the Micky D cup was highlights (goals), 24 hours later and in reverse order courtesy of Dundalk FC. Credit due to Dundalk to putting the highlights up tbf.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Wait, was last Sundays game on tv after all?
    My bad - but wasn't it on TV the first couple of seasons it was played?? Or am i misremembering that, too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Believe it or not there is counties north of the line between Dublin and Galway.
    True and fair enough. I haven't strayed north of that line.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    if Pats V Cork was "always likely to be a better fixture" how come Bohs V Rovers sold out two weeks ago ?
    Because there's no accounting for taste

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    My bad - but wasn't it on TV the first couple of seasons it was played?? Or am i misremembering that, too?
    It was streamed online but not on TV.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Don't recall it being on myself, but I could be wrong on that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I think Dundalk Pats was on in 2015. We've been in it since then and it hasn't been shown live on TV. It was streamed live from Cork the last 2 years, but it couldn't even the streamed this year, apparently due to internet speed in Dundalk.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    The Dublin derby has the biggest attraction in the league without a doubt, games been sold out for a couple weeks now. That’s the game people want to watch. Besides Waterford games, that’s the only other game I want to see on TV - I sure I’m not the only one either.
    Any game that sells out should be on TV by definition - there are people who will miss out so the demand should be met by TV. It's as close to a no-lose situation as we get in this league.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Any game that sells out should be on TV by definition - there are people who will miss out so the demand should be met by TV. It's as close to a no-lose situation as we get in this league.
    That's a ridiculous argument to be fair.

Games selling out are as much a reflection of the lack of stadium capacity in our league as they are a surplus of demand. Derry had a number of sold out games last year - but that's because they were playing in a stadium with a c. 1,500 capacity, fro example. Should they have been aired over other fixtures with bigger crowds ?

Cork will have multiple home games this season with higher gates than Friday's Bohs-Rovers fixture. By your logic none of those should be televised if games elsewhere with a lower capacity sell out.

Plus - TV schedules have to be sorted in-advance, whereas it won't always be clear if a game will set out in sufficient time.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's a ridiculous argument to be fair.

Games selling out are as much a reflection of the lack of stadium capacity in our league as they are a surplus of demand. Derry had a number of sold out games last year - but that's because they were playing in a stadium with a c. 1,500 capacity, fro example. Should they have been aired over other fixtures with bigger crowds ?
    Maginn Park obviously wasn't suitable for TV coverage. What other ground would you say this example holds true for?

Cork will have multiple home games this season with higher gates than Friday's Bohs-Rovers fixture. By your logic none of those should be televised if games elsewhere with a lower capacity sell out.
    When will this be a factor?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Maginn Park obviously wasn't suitable for TV coverage. What other ground would you say this example holds true for?
    The very example we're talking about. Dalymount has a capacity which will be between 50% and 100% smaller than some crowds Cork are likely to attract in the next few years. By your logic, any Dalymount sell outs should therefore have precedence.

When will this be a factor?
    As above.

A policy of deciding what games to air on the basis of what sells out in a league where some stadia have pretty low capacities - up to half as low as some other grounds - is just not a sensible idea. Which is why I suspect it will fortunately not be followed by any broadcaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The broadcasters show what they think will get the biggest viewer figures. Their view is probably as far to an unbiased one as possible.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The broadcasters show what they think will get the biggest viewer figures. Their view is probably as far to an unbiased one as possible.
    That, and proximity to Dublin clearly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The very example we're talking about. Dalymount has a capacity which will be between 50% and 100% smaller than some crowds Cork are likely to attract in the next few years. By your logic, any Dalymount sell outs should therefore have precedence.
    Well if Turner's Cross isn't full, then clearly most people who want to see it are already going to be there. If Dalymount is full, that's not true. If there's 5,000 people in Tallaght but Dalymount is full, I'd say the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Well if Turner's Cross isn't full, then clearly most people who want to see it are already going to be there. If Dalymount is full, that's not true. If there's 5,000 people in Tallaght but Dalymount is full, I'd say the same thing.
    Most television viewers are neutrals and away fans, not home fans who couldn't make it. Any game in Turners Cross, there's likely more away fans that couldn't make the trip, than there were people missed out on tickets for Dalymount last week. Those numbers would be fairly negligible, even in a sell out.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well if that's the case why does it matter if there's more people at the Cork game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Well if that's the case why does it matter if there's more people at the Cork game?
    I don't think it does matter much, other than it looking good on tv maybe. Maybe an element that more people willing to turn up to a game is indicative of more people willing to watch it on tv too. But that point was only raised in response to the claim that a game being sold out should be a deciding factor.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast