Yep, it is. As is Cork City vs Dundalk the following week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Yep, it is. As is Cork City vs Dundalk the following week
    Was it announced?

I knew about the Cork v Dundalk match being on the box but didn't catch the Bohs v Cork 'on the telly' blurb.

I'm a slave to labour see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Yeah, during the coverage last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Yeah, during the coverage last night
    I was in Limerick.

Delighted to hear that match(Bohs v Cork) is on the tele and us on a match free weekend.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Less than 1,200 fans and a poor uneven spectacle of a game on TV tonight.

I hate to say I told you so, but the Longford tie was a strange choice. The cameras should have gone to Limerick for the fixture there instead IMO.
    yeah whatever. that was two and a half times the attendance of the previous game. you will be glad to hear we wont be on live tv for the rest of the season so your wish came true. if meenan had got a yellow I think there would have being a better game.

as outspoken said the night was a massive success regardless of the result.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Just on the overall attendances for the cup matches, I think all 3 QF's were all modest crowds, was Longford's actually the biggest? I get the point on possibly this was their biggest crowd in a fair while, but a combined attendance of around 3k, possibly just lower is very disappointing for 3 QF games. Possibly the lowest in years too.

Had each of the any clubs being drawn at home, I'd say a figure of 10k would have been achieved between them.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    It's all relative. What Longford achieved in their attendance is the equivalent of us more than selling out Turners Cross. It was an excellent attendance, especially considering the change of date.

Which is better for the league, longford doubling their attendance as they head towards a potential playoff, or us getting 3.5k or so at Turners Cross to play them? I'd argue the first. No one new was coming to the Cross to see longford. But the league could have gained some new fans in that crowd up in City calling stadium. Figures alone don't show the whole picture.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Just on the overall attendances for the cup matches, I think all 3 QF's were all modest crowds, was Longford's actually the biggest? I get the point on possibly this was their biggest crowd in a fair while, but a combined attendance of around 3k, possibly just lower is very disappointing for 3 QF games. Possibly the lowest in years too.

Had each of the any clubs being drawn at home, I'd say a figure of 10k would have been achieved between them.
    It's a function of the clubs involved. We're just not going to turn out a crowd no matter what. Longford are also a relatively small club who haven't had a great season. On the other side of the coin a cup QF is no big occasion for Dundalk and Cork.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    It's all relative. What Longford achieved in their attendance is the equivalent of us more than selling out Turners Cross. It was an excellent attendance, especially considering the change of date.

Which is better for the league, longford doubling their attendance as they head towards a potential playoff, or us getting 3.5k or so at Turners Cross to play them? I'd argue the first. No one new was coming to the Cross to see longford. But the league could have gained some new fans in that crowd up in City calling stadium. Figures alone don't show the whole picture.
    I'm not sure that many potential new fans drawn to the Longford match would be enthused to return by their team getting a 7-0 kicking. I could be wrong on that, but it doesn't sound like the greatest intro to your local side.

Re the overall QF attendances - the perennial appearance of Cork and Dundalk in the latter stages may be having a negative affect on the appeal of the cup (?). The best thing for Irish football would be for them to be drawn against each other in the semis. I fear yet another Cork-Dundalk final will be a poor reflection on the league and a turn off for many neutrals who go to the finals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The best thing for Irish football would be for them to be drawn against each other in the semis. I fear yet another Cork-Dundalk final will be a poor reflection on the league and a turn off for many neutrals who go to the finals.
    While it might be a turn off for neutrals, another Cork Dundalk final would be a pretty accurate reflection of the league.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    While it might be a turn off for neutrals, another Cork Dundalk final would be a pretty accurate reflection of the league.
    Indeed. But cups are supposed to be different than the league, and retain that sense of 'magic' that anyone can progress (e.g. UCD).

Even notoriously imbalanced leagues like Spain and France manage to not have the same 2 teams in their finals every year.

I can understand how Cork and Dundalk fans would like to see their teams in this year's final, but I suspect everyone else is just bored of it and wants to see a different line-up.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 09/09/2018 at 5:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I'm not sure that many potential new fans drawn to the Longford match would be enthused to return by their team getting a 7-0 kicking. I could be wrong on that, but it doesn't sound like the greatest intro to your local side.

Re the overall QF attendances - the perennial appearance of Cork and Dundalk in the latter stages may be having a negative affect on the appeal of the cup (?). The best thing for Irish football would be for them to be drawn against each other in the semis. I fear yet another Cork-Dundalk final will be a poor reflection on the league and a turn off for many neutrals who go to the finals.
    Sure, but that's just the luck of it in terms of how the game went. Maybe no one left city calling as a new loi fan, but there wouldn't have been any newbies at the Cross either.

I'd agree on the final. I don't think the league has been this predictable in a long long time. Where two teams are consistently top two and in the cup final. Obviously I want us to be there, but a change of opposition would certainly be no harm. That said, I'd rather not get dundalk away in the semi

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sure, but that's just the luck of it in terms of how the game went. Maybe no one left city calling as a new loi fan, but there wouldn't have been any newbies at the Cross either.

I'd agree on the final. I don't think the league has been this predictable in a long long time. Where two teams are consistently top two and in the cup final. Obviously I want us to be there, but a change of opposition would certainly be no harm. That said, I'd rather not get dundalk away in the semi
    To be fair, the ridiculous red card ruined the game. Longford were probably gone already but that ended the contest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To be fair, the ridiculous red card ruined the game. Longford were probably gone already but that ended the contest.
    Agreed, and that can't really be controlled for. But looking at it beforehand, the game being in Longford would have seemed more value to the league than in Cork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Dundalk - Derry City on 25th September being shown on Eir.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Notice from the RTÉ guide that a game is pencilled in for next week.
    Never seen any press release about it on twotter.
    Anyone?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I'm assuming you're not on about the Cork Vs Bohs game on Monday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I'm assuming you're not on about the Cork Vs Bohs game on Monday?
    No bud,knew about that one but it defo says Friday.
    Of course RTÉ could have being plannin ahead of Dundalk not wrapping up the league on Friday and put it in the schedule as a provisional programme.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I'd reckon RTE substituted their planned schedule for a live game Fri 12th to the Cork/Bohs replay on the 8th
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    What games will be shown on tv now when there is nothing to play for in Premier division? Surely the promotion play off games will be shown on Rte or Eir?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast