Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jon Gallagher (M Austin FC b.1996)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    I think he's one of the best players in the MLS in the same way that Liam Scales is one of the best defenders in the SPL. Players that play for clubs hardly anyone watches tend to get overhyped based on highlights and clips. If he pops up in the MLS All star team next month that might be a sign that he's genuinely rated as one of the best in that league.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    The guy is one of the best players in MLS. No call up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Is he one of the best players in the MLS?
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    I'm not sure if he's "one of the best players in MLS" but a wing back with 5 goals for the season is certainly an option in an area we are a little short and we could do worse that take a look at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think he's one of the best players in the MLS in the same way that Liam Scales is one of the best defenders in the SPL. Players that play for clubs hardly anyone watches tend to get overhyped based on highlights and clips. If he pops up in the MLS All star team next month that might be a sign that he's genuinely rated as one of the best in that league.
    Not always reliable, perhaps, in terms of how good a player is at a given time, but salary is a reasonable indicator of how a player is valued within a league, at least. Gallagher earns US$300k, which is below the average for the league. Eighteen of his team-mates get paid more, as does Connor Ronan (just over $500k). That said, he does appear to be in good form this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Is Gallagher living in the states long enough to get citizenship? Read before players like that often earn less in the MLS.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He's been living in the USA permanently since 2014, although lived there for a few years off and on before that. He's certainly eligible, if he's not a citizen already. Madness that we haven't capped him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    It's really not madness, he hasn't done near enough to be capped and was no more than average when he played in Scotland. People were wanting Jake Mulraney called up at one point when he played a few MLS games. It's a great league for making very average players look better than they are.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Right back isn't exactly one of our problem areas. He'd be well down the pecking order.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Madness that we haven't capped him.
    Is it though ? A marginal at most surely. If his Aberdeen audition had gone better, or lasted more than one season even, then he it could have gone differently but he was sent back where he came from and is making a career making the most of what he has & fair play to him. Even those cap tie enthusiasts USA haven't paid attention so far have they ?
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 03/06/2023 at 8:26 PM.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Selected for the MLS All Star Team, managed by Wayne Rooney
    https://www.austinfc.com/news/jon-ga...-all-star-team

Gallagher joined Austin FC ahead of the Club’s inaugural season in 2021 and has since become a vital part of the team. Capable of playing in a variety of roles in the wide areas, he has excelled as a fullback on both the right and left flanks, leading Austin in goal contributions (8) and tying for the team lead in goals (5) so far this season. His goal contributions total is also tied for the most among all MLS defenders.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/06/2023 at 2:45 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Good to see.

Not sure we're in a position to be dismissing fellas doing well outside of the UK system. Should be in contention.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Are we honestly suggesting that there is a gulf between Gallagher and O'Dowda?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    It’s hard to tell how good (or not) he is, the MLS is a weird league. He’d be worth a call up to a camp or extended squad or something though. For a look. It’s a problem position and sounds like he can operate either side.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Good to see.

Not sure we're in a position to be dismissing fellas doing well outside of the UK system. Should be in contention.
    One hundred percent Treq. We are not in any such position to be dismissing this player. Gallagher is deemed to be among the best in American football. That is an achievement.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    So why isn't he picked
    Is it poor management or has Stephen gone over and had a look and decided he's not for me? Which is it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    As if.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    So why isn't he picked
    Is it poor management or has Stephen gone over and had a look and decided he's not for me? Which is it?
    I shall assume that's rhetorical and you know fully well that Gallagher hasn't been properly appraised.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    [QUOTE=Trequartista20;2153005]I shall assume that's rhetorical and you know fully well that Gallagher hasn't been properly appraised.[/QUOTE

Now that you say it out loud!
    It was ridiculous to think our manager might have flown over to see a player that we might need in a problematic position

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Next question why hasn't he gone over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I don’t think it’s a massive stick to beat SK with (MLS standard is so difficult to quantify) and I don’t think he can be accused of shirking that side of the job at all. That said, Gallagher did say this recently which suggests not even a call has been made (not to mention a visit from Crawford when they were courting McGlynn).

Now that I am playing consistently, I hope that I can catch the eye of the Irish national team but I do not know if they are watching me or monitoring my progress.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Should definitely be brought over for a training camp to properly assess him. At least then you know you're gonna get a good look at him in training rather than hoping he impresses in a game or is even playing if you decide to visit.

Though must sting somewhat that Andrews was in the US to watch McGlynn play (somewhat certain he was anyway) and maybe at the time he was on holidays and in the area. But I'd be upset if I was an Irish player and you've the Irish assistant manager watching someone that might never even declare.

When Kenny and Crawford were in Philadelphia I know it was the off season for MLS and they were invited over to speak in Philadelphia along with Niall Quinn. So handy for them if they happened to speak with McGlynn at the time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I don’t think it’s a massive stick to beat SK with (MLS standard is so difficult to quantify) and I don’t think he can be accused of shirking that side of the job at all. That said, Gallagher did say this recently which suggests not even a call has been made (not to mention a visit from Crawford when they were courting McGlynn).
    Joe could be cr*p or very I don't know

But Stephen should, either way.
    if he thinks he isn't up to it that's fine
    But does he know? !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast