Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Gallagher (M Austin FC b.1996)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Was he a sensation? A couple of Aberdeen fans forums I checked out were fairly lukewarm on him overall.

Lovely goals though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I think 'sensation' might be slightly overselling it. He wasn't always a regular and seemed to be used as something of a utility player, filling gaps.

What is his best position, then? Seemed to be playing on the left wing against DC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I dunno. I put DMF in the title as wikipedia says he can play all three.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...tlanta-united/

Was a striker. Moved to right back. Played a bit in midfield. Seems to be a utility man anywhere on the right but he's coming in off the left there for Atlanta. Interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Started in the bench this evening, came on as a substitute, then equalises on 88 minutes.
    And Atlanta's stadium turns into a rave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Gallagher has been traded to Austin FC, a new team that will have its first MLS season in 2021. Probably good for his career in that he will hopefully get more game time. Atlanta is not the ideal place for a player trying to establish himself as they have a lot of depth.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Gallagher has been traded to Austin FC, a new team that will have its first MLS season in 2021. Probably good for his career in that he will hopefully get more game time. Atlanta is not the ideal place for a player trying to establish himself as they have a lot of depth.
    According to Wiki Austin only have six players on their books, so one would certainly hope so!

Didn't realise until recently but apparently he played for England schoolboys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Schoolboys different than international though, no? My understanding is that you play for the schoolboy team where you live, regardless of international allegiance. Giggs played (captained?) for England schoolboys for example if memory serves, though he had no intention of representing them internationally.

Worth noting he has the Irish flag in his Twitter bio. By the time the MLS season starts in March Austin should have approximately 30 players.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 14/12/2020 at 11:34 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Ah yeah, there are lads over on YBIG casting doubt on his desire to play for Ireland as a result of that and some other wild speculation. That place is tough reading. I find it has a bit more traffic than here so there's a little more news and discussion but it doesn't take more than one or two scrolls for me to want to throw my phone off the wall.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Of anyone in our potential player pool Gallagher is a true citizen of the world given his family moved around a lot. Bottom line, he has an Irish flag in his Twitter profile, was born in the country, and I have no doubt he’d love to line up for us if given the opportunity. And while he might seem an outside chance of making it to a higher level/full international status, I have to say I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Schoolboys different than international though, no? My understanding is that you play for the schoolboy team where you live, regardless of international allegiance. Giggs played (captained?) for England schoolboys for example if memory serves, though he had no intention of representing them internationally.

Worth noting he has the Irish flag in his Twitter bio. By the time the MLS season starts in March Austin should have approximately 30 players.
    Exactly. He and his family moved around a lot when he was growing up and he went to boarding school in England for a while. I believe he also spent time in the US, Singapore and the Caribbean. Seems to have led an interesting life.

I don't believe there's any grounds to doubt his allegiance.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Of anyone in our potential player pool Gallagher is a true citizen of the world given his family moved around a lot. Bottom line, he has an Irish flag in his Twitter profile, was born in the country, and I have no doubt he’d love to line up for us if given the opportunity. And while he might seem an outside chance of making it to a higher level/full international status, I have to say I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.
    This is important, I rate this Gallagher lad a lot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    learn to use the edit button Bielsa. Next time I'm deleting all of your posts, not just the replies
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    learn to use the edit button Bielsa. Next time I'm deleting all of your posts, not just the replies

Ok i will!

The problem of Irish football can be summed up today and now, in this precise and vital moment, ... we can only say this irony in one surname: Gallagher.
    While some of you have a young and talented guy like native Jon playing at a good level, this guy showed he's a versatile and ambidextrous young footballer, and waiting to be added to the national team, some of the Irish fans ask and also beg in a popular clamour for an English kid named Gallagher, who has just played a handful of matches, with the luck that he was loaned to a club where this english Gallagher can show himself. That tells you, with a wink, that the owners of the suit are developing this child and he wont play for the Republic.

So let's stop chasing shadows and prepare the native Irish for the national team, because Irish football can no longer depend on the English first division. Sarcastically, as the English writer Eric Howsbawm wrote about his theory of globalization in this "end of nationalisms" time, this social theory has deteriorated the commitment of the new 2nd and 3rd generation of "Irish" footballers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    On for his Austin FC in their first game of the 2021 MLS season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Watched the match yesterday and man, are Austin FC poor. They might not win a match all season. If he cant break into this team, he won't make it anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I saw the second half, Gallagher could have had at least two goals in the 30 minutes he was on for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Came on today in the 66th minute and immediately set up the winner. I went back and watched the portion of the match he played last week and Tets is right, he did well enough. This guy is worth watching and could wind up playing for us given our poor attacking options. Someone might consider updating the thread title to reflect his current club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Continues his excellent start to the season with his first goal for Austin FC. While the finish is excellent, the pass preceding it is supreme

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I'm watching too, tets. He's a good player and probably as good as any of our current forward options, bar Connolly and Robinson.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast