Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Cullen is goosed long term I think but yeah I agree to an extent.

The way McGoldrick plays for us, he's better suited as a 10 with someone pacy off him. Whether that's Connolly or Obafemi is up for debate!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Cullen is goosed long term I think but yeah I agree to an extent.

The way McGoldrick plays for us, he's better suited as a 10 with someone pacy off him. Whether that's Connolly or Obafemi is up for debate!
    I think Cullen will be back playing within a month. Certainly well before our game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Fine finish!
    McGoldrick needs to play as our number 10.
    The two games that lost our instant qualification were the two games he missed.
    He’s the linchpin.

I’d have Obafemi, Connolly, Long and McGoldrick as our strikers in the next squad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think Cullen will be back playing within a month. Certainly well before our game
    Ah that's great! I remember Bowyer saying "a long time" but never getting a follow up.

I don't think he'll play barring a major injury crisis though. He's only played friendlies for us and Mick I going to stick with what he knows for such a high stakes game.

Same goes for Obafemi's chances I reckon!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I'd play Connolly on the left as it might well be his best position and it removes McClean who has been a good servant but not in the last 2 years

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He is defo an option for us against Slovakia. Mick might not think so though.
    I wonder who is faster him or long
    Good question - Long was clocked with the fastest speed in the PL in 2016/17 and the second fastest this season so far, while Obafemi has said he's faster than Mbappe. So either way, it's a tremendous weapon for us to have, if we can utilize it. In Long's case, we don't seem to have made full use of his pace through his career, with only his goals against Germany and Serbia (and maybe Moldova) coming as a result of him winning a footrace to a ball in behind. I mean, I know it flies in the face of the style of play a lot people want to see from Ireland, but wouldn't it be a good tactic to invite Slovakia or whoever to pressure us and when we gain possession, immediately belt it over the top for Long and/or Obafemi to chase, especially if their defenders are starting to tire?

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Obafemi is the tenth Irish player to score in the Premier League in the 2019/20 season

This is the first time ten, or more, players have scored in the same season since the 2016/17 season
    And with Egan, Long, McGoldrick, Coleman and McCarthy still to break their ducks for the season, plus the possibility of Parrott and/or Idah breaking through by the end of the season, it may well end up significantly higher than ten!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Fine finish!
    McGoldrick needs to play as our number 10.
    The two games that lost our instant qualification were the two games he missed.
    He’s the linchpin.

I’d have Obafemi, Connolly, Long and McGoldrick as our strikers in the next squad
    Agree totally at this point, plus Robinson, unless Parrott plays and scores in the Cup for Spurs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Not in squad today. I was hopeful considering he only played 60 minutes on Thursday but wasn’t to be. Adams starts. Interestingly Smallbone is on bench...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Scores today against West Ham, having started with Long up front.I really think he has potential to do great things for us, sometimes forget he’s still only 19.I like his pace and link up play but the most striking thing about him for me is how relaxed he is in front of goal.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Scores today against West Ham, having started with Long up front.I really think he has potential to do great things for us, sometimes forget he’s still only 19.I like his pace and link up play but the most striking thing about him for me is how relaxed he is in front of goal.
    Excellent point - his goal against Chelsea was top class but, perhaps more importantly, he scored both his other goals in spite of not being ideally set up to shoot. For his debut goal, the ball was under his feet, yet he dug it out and forced it on goal before he got closed down. For today's effort the ball came at him very quickly - the commentators I was watching seemed to imply he was lucky to score but in fact he managed to sort his feet very well to direct it towards goal and maybe got a little bit of deserved luck with it looping past Fabianski.

Also, did he attempt to do an Irish jig in celebration?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Sounds like you were watching NBC where the co-commentator described him hitting the ball into the ground first and was very lucky. I didn’t see that, thought it was an excellent side foot finish curling high away from keeper.

Overall, Obafemi was very poor again today, goal apart, as I said in Smallbone thread. He has impressed me less and less as season has gone on, his link up play and ball protection has deteriorated and he looks unfit. For me, it is still very much touch and go whether he makes it consistently as a premier league striker, consider in his publicized “lack of professionalism” and I become even more pessimistic. He should be happy with an under 21 place in a few weeks, and try to impress at this level.

Long was also poor today, but he deserves to be a stop gap measure for playoffs, but can’t see him playing with us beyond this summer. Agree Hogan should be on the bench given current form for playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Hah yeah Sam, now you mention it, it does look like a bit of a jig.I agree on the finish, he’s made something that’s really hard to execute look easy/lucky.Most players are skying that chance.
    Given your excellent history of identifying the players who’ll make it, I hope you’re wrong on this one Tommy. The ‘lack of professionalism’ stuff seems to have originated with Hasenhuttl so must be based on something, but I would say it’s hard to put an old head on young shoulders. As a counter to that, he has bags of natural ability and in all honesty I’d much rather have a team full of naturally brilliant messers than consummate professionals.Robbie was criticised throughout his career for contributing goals and not much more so I’d be fine with Obafemi losing the ball now and again if he can score goals for us.We’ve plenty of lads who can hold up the ball.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Sounds like you were watching NBC where the co-commentator described him hitting the ball into the ground first and was very lucky. I didn’t see that, thought it was an excellent side foot finish curling high away from keeper.

Overall, Obafemi was very poor again today, goal apart, as I said in Smallbone thread. He has impressed me less and less as season has gone on, his link up play and ball protection has deteriorated and he looks unfit. For me, it is still very much touch and go whether he makes it consistently as a premier league striker, consider in his publicized “lack of professionalism” and I become even more pessimistic. He should be happy with an under 21 place in a few weeks, and try to impress at this level.

Long was also poor today, but he deserves to be a stop gap measure for playoffs, but can’t see him playing with us beyond this summer. Agree Hogan should be on the bench given current form for playoffs.
    I agree he wasn't at his best yesterday, although with limited supply against a well-marshalled West ham defense and he never really got a chance to run at them - his hold-up play is usually very good so I wouldn't dismiss him on the basis of one below-par game, where he actually scored.

Regarding the "lack of professionalism" comment from Hassenhuttl, I thought it was an odd thing to say as he prefaced it by praising Obafemi's ability and workrate in training. But it did come just after Obafemi had complained publicly that he wasn't getting enough time on the pitch, so perhaps Hassenhuttl was just telling him to keep his thoughts on team selection in-house. If so, it's not a major issue.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I agree he wasn't at his best yesterday, although with limited supply against a well-marshalled West ham defense and he never really got a chance to run at them - his hold-up play is usually very good so I wouldn't dismiss him on the basis of one below-par game, where he actually scored.

Regarding the "lack of professionalism" comment from Hassenhuttl, I thought it was an odd thing to say as he prefaced it by praising Obafemi's ability and workrate in training. But it did come just after Obafemi had complained publicly that he wasn't getting enough time on the pitch, so perhaps Hassenhuttl was just telling him to keep his thoughts on team selection in-house. If so, it's not a major issue.
    I'm pretty sure its his diet which is his issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Vote early, vote often for Obafemi in Tuttosport's annual Golden Boy awards: https://www.tuttosport.com/sondaggi/...00_nomination/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Very strange the reference to the nationalities in there. I would say that it is a funny one to refer to Ethan Ampadu as Welsh- Ghanaian. His father was born to an Irish mother and Ghanaian father in England and grew up in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    That's not even half as strange as his middle name

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Vote early, vote often for Obafemi in Tuttosport's annual Golden Boy awards: https://www.tuttosport.com/sondaggi/...00_nomination/
    Wha is the Golden Boy? never heard of it before
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Wha is the Golden Boy? never heard of it before
    Honestly hadn't heard of it before today myself, but it's been around for a while - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Boy_(award)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Honestly hadn't heard of it before today myself, but it's been around for a while - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Boy_(award)
    Wow, if he won, he'd be in rarefied company - in all likelihood, it's got to be Erling Braut Haland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    More public criticism/encouragement of Obafemi from the Southampton manager.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18551732.amp/

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast