Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    kilbane and breen want to see comittment thats based on a genuine connection to us and not based on playing for us being a good career move. reasonable stance imo
    Mick McCarthy won't care about their opinion though. Nathan Redmond's mother is Irish (since he is the man in question) which is a very reasonable connection. In any case, it is all very hypocritical for a men born in Preston or London with English accents to question the Irishness of a man born in Birmingham.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 27/12/2018 at 10:44 AM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Mick McCarthy won't care about their opinion though. Nathan Redmond's mother is Irish (since he is the man in question) which is a very reasonable connection. In any case, it is all very hypocritical for a men born in Preston or London with English accents to question the Irishness of a man born in Birmingham.
    I think they are refering to the fact that he played for the English national team already

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    In any case, it is all very hypocritical for a men born in Preston or London with English accents to question the Irishness of a man born in Birmingham.
    both of whom jumped at the chance to play for us and didnt think for a second about who they wanted to play for.

didnt redmond decline previous attempts to declare for us? if he declares for us now its nothing more than a career move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Misses out today through injury.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    kilbane and breen want to see comittment thats based on a genuine connection to us and not based on playing for us being a good career move. reasonable stance imo
    That’s not what Breen actually said, Breen said that Redmond was not even Irish. Both Breen and Kilbane have set themselves up as arbitrers of not only who is Irish enough to play for Ireland, but who of the diaspora is actually Irish.
    It is disingenuos for you to claim that Breen’s motivation was about it being a good career move for Redmond. As of now, I very much doubt that Breen has the foggiest notion of young Redmond’s intentions in regards to a posssible proposal to declare for the country of his mother.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That’s not what Breen actually said, Breen said that Redmond was not even Irish. Both Breen and Kilbane have set themselves up as arbitrers of not only who is Irish enough to play for Ireland, but who of the diaspora is actually Irish.
    It is disingenuos for you to claim that Breen’s motivation was about it being a good career move for Redmond. As of now, I very much doubt that Breen has the foggiest notion of young Redmond’s intentions in regards to a posssible proposal to declare for the country of his mother.
    The man has played for the Senior English national team. He also was on the bench for a competitive game for England. He was actively tried to be recruited by the FAI while he was with Norwich in the Championship and he said no thanks im waiting for the call from England. As they say if you dilute the mi-wadi too much you might get more drink, but it will taste like ****

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It is disingenuos for you to claim that Breen’s motivation was about it being a good career move for Redmond.
    i heard the breen interview and thats exactly what he was saying

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The man has played for the Senior English national team. He also was on the bench for a competitive game for England. He was actively tried to be recruited by the FAI while he was with Norwich in the Championship and he said no thanks im waiting for the call from England. As they say if you dilute the mi-wadi too much you might get more drink, but it will taste like ****
    That mi-wadi line always gives me a guilty laugh cause I'm always sure someone will disapprove cause it sounds borderline racist in this kinda context(obviously not the intention)its a great phrase though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I disagree. I am of the view that the manager goes out and gets the best squad of players that are available to him. Re Redmond himself he is a good player and I would have him no problem. Thiago Motta, Nacer Chadli, Wilfried Zaha, Jermaine Jones, Diego Costa are just some names who have played for an International side before jumping to another. Sure even Alex Bruce did it. Every country uses the rules available to them to better their side.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    100% agree. I couldn’t care less as long as the player can potentially contribute positively to our national team. The staunch Republican attitude of many supporters bemuses me. We’re living in a much changed world and have an increasingly finite pool of players at international level. Given this paucity of talent, no stone should be left unturned in enquiring about players, without completely going down on both knees of course
    Apologies for the late reply.

The reason I wouldn't be keen on Redmond playing for us has nothing to do with a 'staunch Republican attitude'. It's due to the fact that he has already played for the England senior team. Nothing more, nothing less.

If McCarthy convinces him to throw his lot in with us then I'd hope he gives his all and performs well, just like I do with every other player regardless of their place of birth. That doesn't mean I agree with it in principle however.
    Last edited by The Fly; 30/12/2018 at 7:27 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Another thing that irks me on the Redmond thing is the timing of it. He was out of form last season and not on the radar for the England senior side as a result. He's hitting form now and we have a new manager who appears to be willing to be a bit more aggressive than the last in recruiting these lads. Doesn't this provide Redmond and his agent with the best opportunity possible to remind Southgate he has options?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Another thing that irks me on the Redmond thing is the timing of it. He was out of form last season and not on the radar for the England senior side as a result. He's hitting form now and we have a new manager who appears to be willing to be a bit more aggressive than the last in recruiting these lads. Doesn't this provide Redmond and his agent with the best opportunity possible to remind Southgate he has options?
    Yep. One call from Southgate and this is all over. If Southgate said to him there was a 20% chance of being in his plans Redmond drops us like a hot rag.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    That mi-wadi line always gives me a guilty laugh cause I'm always sure someone will disapprove cause it sounds borderline racist in this kinda context(obviously not the intention)its a great phrase though
    England a supposed WC semi finalist team have no problem resorting to bullying a 19 year old to declare for them even when he has 3 Ireland caps, in that case I think it’s not that big a deal to at least ask Redmond if he interested in going to other way.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Yep. One call from Southgate and this is all over. If Southgate said to him there was a 20% chance of being in his plans Redmond drops us like a hot rag.
    To be fair the way things are going Southgate go as far as ring a league 1 player and say there is a chance. It seems he is on a mission to stop any Irish qualified player playing for us and the Wayne Rooney cap vs USA shows he has no problem de-valuing a cap just for reasons outside of football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    What are people's thoughts here on Will Addison playing rugby for Ireland?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If he had played for the England Senior team. Same as Redmond no rhanks

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Ive 3 issues with Nathan actually
    Played for Eng v Germany
    Was on the bench for a competitive game Eng v Lithuania i think
    Was asked by the FAI to come on-board when he was with Norwich and said no thanks im waiting for England

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    If he had played for the England Senior team. Same as Redmond no rhanks
    Why do you see the senior team as different from the underage teams?
    I'm not sure if I'm right in thinking we've never had a former English U21 international declare for us. If so, would you have an issue with an Eng U21 player switching to us?

EDIT - I've just seen your post above.
    So is the issue with the player himself or with the idea of an English international switching?
    Last edited by IsMiseSean; 31/12/2018 at 12:35 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Why do you see the senior team as different from the underage teams?
    I'm not sure if I'm right in thinking we've never had a former English U21 international declare for us. If so, would you have an issue with an Eng U21 player switching to us?

EDIT - I've just seen your post above.
    So is the issue with the player himself or with the idea of an English international switching?
    International switching, he is a senior English player

I genuinely do they there is a big difference between underage and the senior national team. The whole country supports the national team, while its only family and nerds like us who watch the underage stuff for the most part anyway.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Addison said he was always the kid that supported Ireland growing up. He seemed to infer we were his first choice. Rugby is a bit different in that an opportunity to join an Irish province would have had to present itself before he could come on board. Kieran Marmion and Sam Arnold, for example, also had Irish blood and took the opportunity at a younger age.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Little side note on Redmond since he was asked to join. I scoured his mother's Twitter for anything recent on Ireland. Nothing really. One thing I noticed is she constantly tweets Cyrus Christie congratulations with shamrocks etc. He's a similar age to Redmond and from a similar area. They weren't ever at the same pro club (Coventry v Birmingham) but they could be mates.

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast