Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    An assist today as Burnley won 3-0, another step in their coast to the title. But he only got 16 minutes - his assist came two minutes after he came on - and he hasn't yet got a full 90 minutes between all his Burnley appearances. Not sure it's clear it was a good move for him though; Burnley are sure to strengthen in the summer and if he can't break into the team now, it'll be harder next season.

I think it's clear he can play, but his career options don't seem the best.

Good so he’s challenging himself, will only improve him as a player. Better than taking the safe option that virtually ever Irish players takes…

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    He has two goals and an assist from 87 minutes of league football so far for Burnley. He will also be getting his match fitness up and adjusting to whatever way Burnley want him to play. I think he's doing absolutely fine so far.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Whether or not he gets the move to Burnley, he is doing everything possible to earn it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Good so he’s challenging himself, will only improve him as a player. Better than taking the safe option that virtually ever Irish players takes…
    What do you mean by safe option? Lots of our players are at clubs where they're not deemed good enough to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He has two goals and an assist from 87 minutes of league football so far for Burnley. He will also be getting his match fitness up and adjusting to whatever way Burnley want him to play. I think he's doing absolutely fine so far.
    That sounds promising, but I'd still like to see it converted into more minutes sooner rather than later.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Agree, they also paid 11m for Lyle Foster and he's got 114mins over six sub appearances in the league. So nothing to really worry about with Obafemi when their big money signing this season is in the same situation of getting minutes from the bench while getting up to speed with the way Kompany wants things done.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Burnley have been placed under a transfer embargo. RTÉ reporting that "Burnley now face a race against time to ensure the embargo is lifted before the transfer window reopens at the end of the season"

Seems the issue is late filing of accounts after a change of auditor, but that shouldn't cause accounts to be late. Companies change auditors all the time.

Not sure what implications that might have for Obafemi - he's only on loan of course; can they complete the signing in the summer? Could they miss out on a couple of their main transfer targets, which would help Obafemi? (Might happen if the embargo is lifted after, say, a month of the transfer window)

It does sound for now like it'll be sorted in time, but an interesting twist nonetheless

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Would have none unless FIFA or the EPL get involved. It's an EFL transfer embargo so will only affect if they're still in the championship next season which I doubt will happen

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Oh - that's a weird one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Burnley promoted today; first team in England to be promoted I think

Great news for Cullen of course. But Obafemi has yet to start a game and has just 110 minutes of game time across seven sub appearances. Bit disappointing all told. Maybe Kompany will change things around now promotion is assured, and the title is pretty much done too

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think the game was much more about Cullen than Obafemi who does look good enough for championship level. Cullen was central to most everything Burnley did, even giving away the penalty with a poor tackle in the box. Probably Kompany will stick with Cullen next season but he'll have to make the big step up to the next level. It's hard to see Obafemi being in an EPL team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Permanent move to Burnley confirmed.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...nsfer-26657374

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He should hopefully get an earnest chance now, although their existing attacking personnel have been excellent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    A 2-0 win over second-place Sheffield United all but confirms the title for Burnley.

Just three minutes for Obafemi though; same as Friday. Has been getting progressively less time over the past few games. The summer transfer window will be interesting to see how Burnley strengthen

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just three minutes for Obafemi though; same as Friday. Has been getting progressively less time over the past few games. The summer transfer window will be interesting to see how Burnley strengthen
    Burnley made three changes from the previous game which clinched promotion. Burnley made four other changes tonight before he came on, two were attackers, one other attacker signed recently got his first start ahead of him too. Crumbs of comfort ? The lad who strarted did less to admire in 45 minutes than Obafemi did in 3 plus injury time.

I think if he gets a run of games he's better than some they have but he needs that run before they start strengthening yes.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I kind of wonder with his... temperament, shall we say, how long does he stay happy with the current situation too?

But six largely meaningless games to come, which could be of help if Kompany continue to change things around
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/04/2023 at 7:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Still glued to the bench despite the title being sealed. Didn't get on at all tonight; he's manager 143 league minutes across 11 sub appearances since his move. It's six weeks since he got more than 15 minutes

Deeply disappointing at this stage, I think it's fair to say

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Maybe we have to start considering the 2nd half of last season is a major anomaly in his career rather than the norm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    It’s obviously not ideal but I think he’ll get a chance in the Prem. He’s still young. If he has a good pre-season, it’s all still possible for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I’m not as worried about him as others seem to be. He’s a good striker with some top-level assets and, I think, was a long term play by VK who’d become established over time rather than filling an immediate/desperate gap. He’s also had some success at PL level already in his career to point to. And he’s done well for us over the last year.

I could be overly optimistic but I’m just not too worried or disappointed at this point.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I'm kinda with you Stu, I do like him a lot but I must say I expected it to go better to this point and I'm worried it may have been a flash in the pan. Hopefully a good preseason will see him integrate into the squad better

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast