Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Came so close to that 'golden goal' against Spain in 2002.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Even by spoofer measures, it seems completely bizarre he couldn't have just asked him before engaging with the media.
    That's exactly what I mean. He actually has no idea what the guy was thinking when all he had to do was have a quick chat (and it seems like it would have been a very quick chat) with him about it at some point from before announcing the squad up until he had that press conference. But he clearly didn't and then had the audacity/arrogance to think he could bluff the question when asked and get away with it. All he had to say was something like "well we haven't chatted about it but he hasn't raised any issues with me so as far as I know he's an Irish player and we look forward to giving him some game time over the next week". It would be honest, it would be strong and it would have given Obafemi an avenue to say how easy a decision it was, that accepting the call up was a no-brainer etc etc instead of taking some of the flack he took and being on the defensive.

Anyway, its all worked out well despite MON, not because of him and that is pretty damning. This is basic stuff. The man management skills of this management team is consistently shown to be a few steps below the basic expectations. The cynic in me sees Obafemis 10 minutes last night as nothing more than a tactic by MON to be able to take credit for (capped him, dual, young) as opposed to having a plan to use him to better us as a team.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think the reaction is overexcited in regard to MON. I am far from convinced that MON messed this one up, even if he wasn't totally au fait with the kid's intentions. Afaiu, the situation was in no way out of control. Of course he should have been directly aware about Obafemi's confirmed intentions before calling him up to the squad, but so what, in the scheme of things MON can communicate to young footballers and they look up to him with respect, there was nothing so broken that couldn't easily be repaired. If a kid was going to run away after what MON was quoted as saying at Abbotstown, then good luck to him. Whilst I have the same truck load issues about MON since he took over, I have little doubt that he has managed the dual nationals with the appropriate sensitivity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Nothing broken indeed Geysir. However, the optics of it are poor and it has been badly managed. And bad management is becoming a pattern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Of course he should have been directly aware about Obafemi's confirmed intentions before calling him up to the squad
    I don't have a major issue with that either, but he should have talked to the player on arrival before speaking uninformed gibberish to the media. I agree he has handled the other dual national situations well and some of the criticism he's received has been unfair.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    a little unlucky not to score an equaliser for southampton away in a 3-2 loss to fulham.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Starts tonight in League Cup.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I had a Rice moment there, clicking into the Obafemi thread waiting to see some bad news about him throwing his lot in with another national side. I momentarily forgot he's committed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    it's his first start for Southampton
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    missed a 'sitter' apparently

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ight-1.3712711

That was nothing compared to Obafemi’s miss. Redmond, twisting one way and then the other, broke into the Leicester area and thumped a left-footed shot that thudded against the bar and dropped at the feet of the Southampton striker. Only four yards out and with the goal yawning in front of him, Obafemi made poor contact with the ball and somehow contrived to hit his shot into the ground and wide. Hughes looked on in despair. It was a golden chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    missed a 'sitter' apparently
    Pretty bad alright - https://youtu.be/_Ng66XhzW5E?t=112

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    starts this evening with gabadinni and Austin on bench

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    When did we have it so good then to have an 18 year old striker starting in the PL? Long time ago. I am a small bit frustrated at Hughton for holding out on Aaron Connolly though. I can't help but think Mick McCarthy would have the lad playing if he were his club manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Brighton are scoring regularly, Southampton are desperate for goals, so I can understand Hughton holding back on Connolly
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Nice assist from Obafemi.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    The boy is up with an assist after 13 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    When did we have it so good then to have an 18 year old striker starting in the PL? Long time ago. I am a small bit frustrated at Hughton for holding out on Aaron Connolly though. I can't help but think Mick McCarthy would have the lad playing if he were his club manager.
    Good question. I checked it out, and the other teenage Irish strikers to start a Premier League game are Robbie Keane(19), Leon Best(18), Anthony Stokes(19), and Reece Grego Cox(18)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Good question. I checked it out, and the other teenage Irish strikers to start a Premier League game are Robbie Keane(19), Leon Best(18), Anthony Stokes(19), and Reece Grego Cox(18)
    Very good. I honestly thought Robbie was the last. Maybe that was a fair assumption on my part as Stokes, Best and Grego Cox have seen their PL careers peter out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    [QUOTE=Olé Olé;1984985]The boy is up with an assist after 13 minutes.[/QUOTE

He is raw no doubt, but he could be a player. He is small but stocky and has a great engine on him. If he starts scoring, i think he will become confident and we might just have found our guy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Decent, tidy performance from Obafemi - had limited possession as Southampton's play often just felt short of reaching him, but did well with what possession he did get - good vision and neat pass for his assist; excellent angled run to the edge of the box after a layoff near midfield to receive a return pass and get a shot off, which was blocked; won a free-kick in a dangerous area in the second half; and a good pass to the wing, just before his injury. Generally looked comfortable out there but could do with a bit more time to develop some guile. But if he keeps this progress up (and particularly if he starts scoring), I would now be happy with him starting in the qualifiers.

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast