Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ireland V France

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    Kids should be thought it in school, like they do in America
    Does anyone have a translation of the song in English? I am very patriotic person and love most things Irish but I think its a rubbish song! Its no wonder no one sings it, Not many people speak Irish, why should we sing Irish, singing jibberish that we dont even know what it means! I did learn it in school, didnt like it then still dont.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M@ttitude
    Does anyone have a translation of the song in English? I am very patriotic person and love most things Irish but I think its a rubbish song! Its no wonder no one sings it, Not many people speak Irish, why should we sing Irish, singing jibberish that we dont even know what it means! I did learn it in school, didnt like it then still dont.
    why don't you just go and support england too while you're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    The Soldier’s Song

We'll sing a song, a soldier's song,
    With cheering rousing chorus,
    As round our blazing fires we throng,
    The starry heavens o'er us;
    Impatient for the coming fight,
    And as we wait the morning's light,
    Here in the silence of the night,
    We'll chant a soldier's song.

Chorus:
    Soldiers are we
    whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave.
    Sworn to be free,
    No more our ancient sire land
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
    Tonight we man the gap of danger
    In Erin's cause, come woe or weal
    'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,

In valley green, on towering crag,
    Our fathers fought before us,
    And conquered 'neath the same old flag
    That's proudly floating o'er us.
    We're children of a fighting race,
    That never yet has known disgrace,
    And as we march, the foe to face,

Chorus

Sons of the Gael! Men of the Pale!
    The long watched day is breaking;
    The serried ranks of Inisfail
    Shall set the Tyrant quaking.
    Our camp fires now are burning low;
    See in the east a silv'ry glow,
    Out yonder waits the Saxon foe,
    So chant a soldier's song.

Chorus

Now, go learn it
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our national anthem should never be sung in English.. It is a disgrace to even want it in English..
    I think it is a great Anthem and it means a lot to most Irish people..

Its people like you that are trying to change this country into west Britan, your an absolute disgrace.. You should be proud of your tradition and Language.. Move to Britan and support England if thats your opinion your half there already
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish

Now, go learn it
    Why its english learn the proper version if your going to learn any..

here it is with line by line translation

http://www.iol.ie/~dluby/anthem.htm#Both
    Last edited by Eire06; 14/03/2005 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Why its english learn the proper version if your going to learn any...]

Agreed!
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Our national anthem should never be sung in English.. It is a disgrace to even want it in English..
    I think it is a great Anthem and it means a lot to most Irish people..

Its people like you that are trying to change this country into west Britan, your an absolute disgrace.. You should be proud of your tradition and Language.. Move to Britan and support England if thats your opinion your half there already
    We speak English, why are you typing in English?? Nothing got to do with wanting to be from England, I was never even in England! And after reading that rebel translation I definetely wont be singing it now. I am proud of my tradition, and I wish we all spoke our native language, but we dont! Its small minded hateful people like you that wont try move forward instead of looking bitterly back to the past. You saying Im half in England already because I dont like the soldiers song? Joke!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We speak English, why are you typing in English?? Nothing got to do with wanting to be from England, I was never even in England! And after reading that rebel translation I definetely wont be singing it now. I am proud of my tradition, and I wish we all spoke our native language, but we dont! Its small minded hateful people like you that wont try move forward instead of looking bitterly back to the past. You saying Im half in England already because I dont like the soldiers song? Joke!
    I speak Irish mostly, I'm typing here in English because this fourm is in English, if it was a French Forum I'd type French ect ect..

You wish we all spoke the native language - Why don't you then theres plenty of classes about for people to go to to brush up on your Irish, I reguraly go to classes, contact Conradh na Gaeilge if your that bothered/interested and I'm sure they will help find you classes near you..

I'm not small minded or hateful, yes English is the most widly used language used today in this country but should we through away Irish because of that can we not use both? The national Anthem should be sang in Irish only IMO because that is our native language and it is a song that represents our country...

If we get rid of our language whats left to identify us, what individuality do we have from the rest of the english speaking world...

And you refering to it as a rebel song, tyes it is it was written in a time when the people of this country were fighting for their freedom ( Gona start to sound like someone out of Braveheart soon).. I for one am proud of what those people did for this country and will always sing our national Anthem as Gaeilge standing proud out of respect for them
    Last edited by Eire06; 14/03/2005 at 2:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Fair point, still dont like the song.. Its boring and it stands for violence, I dont know what the french anthem means but at least it sounds good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair point, still dont like the song.. Its boring and it stands for violence, I dont know what the french anthem means but at least it sounds good.
    Thats you opinion wrong as it is..
    What can you do, not everyone can love it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Most, if not all countries national anthems are derived from their history. You are proud of your tradition, but by singing the national anthem, we are looking bitterly back to the past and have become small minded and hateful? In order to move forward, you have to understand the past. Do you wave the tri-colour at Irish games? Is that being small minded and bitter? I don't think so.

Can't help if you don't like it. You are entitled to that, but one should be more careful calling most of the nation small minded and hateful. Rant over!
    Last edited by strangeirish; 14/03/2005 at 3:11 PM.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    i agree it should be taught at school from an early age, it is the only way. Otherewise a lot of people don't make the effort.......

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dont know what the french anthem means but at least it sounds good.
    Maybe you should look at a translation of that too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    See here Sorry, could not help myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he he well done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thanks for that, he he eire 06! Just goes to show no wonder there is so much racism and war, if every country is singing these 'hateful and bitter songs'! You say I should be careful for saying this, do you not think people should be careful about calling someone a disgrace for an opinion. All I can say is there are more things to be proud of Ireland for more than war, how can there be peace if we are singing rebel songs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for that, he he eire 06! Just goes to show no wonder there is so much racism and war, if every country is singing these 'hateful and bitter songs'! You say I should be careful for saying this, do you not think people should be careful about calling someone a disgrace for an opinion. All I can say is there are more things to be proud of Ireland for more than war, how can there be peace if we are singing rebel songs?
    Sorry but where did I say you should be careful (Can't find it open to correction though)

Anway Its my opinion that your opinion is a disgrace and I still think it is ..

I do not view our National Anthem as a 'rebel' song or hateful and bitter, the situation back in 1916 when this song was sung in the GPO was very different to the situation we have in our country today, Irish people were being slaughtered and having their heritage torn away from them, being killed unless they conformed to the way the occupying country at the time acted, basically taking away our 'Irishness'.
    To me the national Anthem represents us claiming back who we are, and I see it as a representation of what we are and as a mark of respect for all the people who died to give us back our language, country and heritage.

Now we are gone totally off topic .. And I'm sure this will all be moved it to rubbsh soon..

Still Disgusted and sick that Ireland lost the match roll on Wales 13 points is it doable..
    Last edited by Eire06; 15/03/2005 at 9:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I just noticed an earlier post by Eire06. I'm a fluent speaker too but surely you know that our anthem was originally WRITTEN in English.

That's just a technical point, but back in the early post constitution days (when my ma was at school) children had to learn the entire anthem in both Irish and English so I think it's a bit harsh to say that it should never be sung in English.

It's an alright anthem, infinitely better than Phil Coulter's awful yoke Ireland's call but not a patch on the French, or Land of my Fathers, or Flower of Scotland for that matter. Admittedly the last two technically aren't anthems. I belt it out at any major event but acknowledge that musically it's flawed.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu
    I just noticed an earlier post by Eire06. I'm a fluent speaker too but surely you know that our anthem was originally WRITTEN in English.

That's just a technical point, but back in the early post constitution days (when my ma was at school) children had to learn the entire anthem in both Irish and English so I think it's a bit harsh to say that it should never be sung in English.

It's an alright anthem, infinitely better than Phil Coulter's awful yoke Ireland's call but not a patch on the French, or Land of my Fathers, or Flower of Scotland for that matter. Admittedly the last two technically aren't anthems. I belt it out at any major event but acknowledge that musically it's flawed.
    As far as I know the song was written in English and they translated it to Irish when they decided to use it for our national anthem (Just the corus is the Anthem) in 1926...

Both my mother and Father said they would have been beaten for even suggesting it be sang in English..
    Last edited by Eire06; 15/03/2005 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    You say I should be careful for saying this, do you not think people should be careful about calling someone a disgrace for an opinion.
    My comment to you was a little 'tongue in cheek' 'cause I know a guy that knows a guy................

Anyhow, now that we have been leap frogged(pun intended) I hope we kick the s**t out of Wales.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    after ireland, my next fav to win are .... wales. but i hope we give them a good humpin' have to say, their anthem, land of our fathers(in welsh i don't know) is a good one(sound wise) always liked it, but i belt out ours whenever the occasion occurs i have no problem with it as some people do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123