Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnley Irish and Opposition Irish

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Keep what place? Long hasn't started if Mee and Tarkowski are both fit, regardless of the weight you're allocating to pre-season.
    Keep his place as third place is what I mean to say, obviously he isn’t a starter when all are fit but when injury struck last season he came in and did a very good job, looking at all that and the fact that Long has been named as captain during games in pre season would suggest to me that Dyche does still very much rate him, not enough to get ahead of Mee or Tarkovski (how ever you say his name) but enough to potentially keeping him clear of someone like Gibson, now if it was signing another premiership CB for similar money (arguments sake someone like Keane) than fair enough but I think with the job Long did last season plus Gibson coming in having been a championship player would make me think Dyche for now will keep Long as third choice for now but long run not so sure.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Burnley have a tough couple of ties in the Europa league. Next up it's Istanbul Basakskehir (an improving side who almost won their league both last season and the one before) and if they get through that one of Olympiakos or Lucern.

If they do make the group phase I'd expect to see Long play a significant number of games this season, even if he's 4th choice centre half.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    How about they actually get a third choice and see how he plays before we start denmoting Long to 4th...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    How about they actually get a third choice and see how he plays before we start denmoting Long to 4th...
    Gibson was signed yesterday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Kevin Long wasn't included in the Burnley squad yesterday, I don't think it was injury related? Ben Gibson was on the bench. Still too soon to demote him to fourth choice? Hopefully.

Hendrick started (and was substituted) at least, as did Ward.

Shane Long not in the Southampton squad either, injured? The signing of Danny Ings is not so good for him either.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 13/08/2018 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Possibly rested ahead of the European game this week

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I have to say from what Ive seen of Kevin Long I think he is an excellent player. His problem is that Burnleys other center halves are also excellent. If I was him I would look for a transfer in January to another premier league team, that is having problems at the back. ( there should be a few by January) also I think he would be relatively cheap.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action
    Mentions for Ward and Hendrick under number 8:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...weekend-action

I agree regarding Long. I like the look of him whenever I see him. The question is, where would he go? There appears to be a very fine line between a Championship and Premiership centre half. We have seen players like Shane Duffy, Alfie Mawson, Harry Maguire, Mee and Tarkowski move between the leagues quite seamlessly. Dan Burns has played in the PL before and was in League One last season with Wigan and did enough for Brighton to sign him before loaning him back again for this season as Wigan feature in the Championship. It's very hard to know where Long would end up if he left Burnley.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action
    Mentions for Ward and Hendrick under number 8:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...weekend-action

I agree regarding Long. I like the look of him whenever I see him. The question is, where would he go? There appears to be a very fine line between a Championship and Premiership centre half. We have seen players like Shane Duffy, Alfie Mawson, Harry Maguire, Mee and Tarkowski move between the leagues quite seamlessly. Dan Burns has played in the PL before and was in League One last season with Wigan and did enough for Brighton to sign him before loaning him back again for this season as Wigan feature in the Championship. It's very hard to know where Long would end up if he left Burnley.
    If I was his agent I would target clubs that have conceded unnecessary goals from set pieces and poor positional play down the middle. ( the January transfer market is where clubs panic)

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Derby would be a good move, Lampard has a great chance of taking them up in the long term, despite last weekends result, and Keogh needs a change of scenery.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Derby would be a good move, Lampard has a great chance of taking them up in the long term, despite last weekends result, and Keogh needs a change of scenery.
    I thnk he should be more ambitious then that to be honest. Derby have 3 luckily points and a lose already. I would be surprised if he gets them up at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Long and Gibson actually started together last night. Both were booked as Burnley won 1-0 in extra time against Istanbul Basaksehir. Hendrick started and provided a tidy assist for a Jack Cork cracker (corker?) to win it. Needless to say, the indispensable Stephen Ward play the full 120 minutes and was also booked.

Burnley have a tough tie against Olympiakos to make the group stage.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Player ratings after Burnleys European tie. Long 8. Ward 7. Jeff 6

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Having featured in pre-season with Burnley and having appeared to have been a target for Accrington Stanley again, Jimmy Dunne has signed on loan for Hearts for the season. Solid move and I reckon it provides ample opportunity for him to impress. Nice Irish contingent in Edinburgh with Aidan Keena, Jake Mulraney and Daryl Horgan across the far side of the City from them.

Edit: I forgot to mention Colin Doyle and forgot to leave this link: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...-burnley-deal/
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/08/2018 at 8:27 PM. Reason: activated link

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Having featured in pre-season with Burnley and having appeared to have been a target for Accrington Stanley again, Jimmy Dunne has signed on loan for Hearts for the season. Solid move and I reckon it provides ample opportunity for him to impress. Nice Irish contingent in Edinburgh with Aidan Keena, Jake Mulraney and Daryl Horgan across the far side of the City from them.

Edit: I forgot to mention Colin Doyle and forgot to leave this link: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...-burnley-deal/
    So it's "Move aside you Bhoys, Come on you Jambos" for all proper Irish football fans

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Even though they were beaten Long still played well

Kevin Long 7

Best defender. Won numerous headers in the box and made one fantastic last-ditch tackle on Podence in the second half

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Kevin Long has played 90 minutes in Burnley's last 3 games, including a very good game against Liverpool in a draw yesterday. They have conceded just twice in the 3 games.

Amazing to think that Long will be 30 in a few weeks. Due to the preference for Mee and Tarkowski at Burnley, his career has largely been like that of a second choice goalkeeper- doesn't appear much in the league all season but is quite reliable and does a job when he comes in so that manager is very happy to have him.

I'm sure he pushes himself to be in the team and is ambitious. But the years have slipped by on him. It would have been and still would be a risk to leave Burnley given the position they are in- where would he go and how would he fare playing week in and week out for a full season.

It's a very interesting career he has had so far.

21. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12