Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnley Irish and Opposition Irish

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Burnley Irish and Opposition Irish

Burnley normally field 3 Irish, Ward, Hendrick and Brady, Brady out due to injury but Sean Dyche keeps the number at 3 by starting Kevin Long.

Currently 1-0 up hosting Watford, Hendrick subbed on 59, Watford down to 10 men.

45 mins

GOAL - Burnley 1-0 Watford

Scott Arfield

It's all going wrong for Watford. Johann Gudmundsson, down the right, has space to cross low, and Jeff Hendrick's dummy throws the visting defenders to allow Scott Arfield to sidestep into space and roll a shot across Heurelho Gomes and into the corner of the net.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 09/12/2017 at 4:35 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Burnley play in Glasgow now?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is called alliteration, or at least it was, lol.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Why not "Burnley browns burn Batford" so? Makes as much sense.

Kevin Long must surely be looking for a move at the end of the season? 26 league games in 9 seasons is daft stuff.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Was at the game Kevin Long was man of the match for me , marked Deeney out the game for the most of it , not many can say that

rumours are are that Evens will move to City in Jan and West Brom will come in for Ben Mee,, so Long should get move game time post Xmas , unless Dyche signs someone else as first choice then it’s definitely time to move on.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Can't see Burnley selling a defender with Lowton injured at the moment
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Open their Europa League campaign tonight against Aberdeen, plenty of Irish on display

Aberdeen
    Starting: Tommie Hoban
    Sub: Stephen Gleeson, Christoper Forrester

Burnley
    Starting: Stephen Ward, Jeff Hendrick
    Sub: Keving Long, Jonathan Walters

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Open their Europa League campaign tonight against Aberdeen, plenty of Irish on display

Aberdeen
    Starting: Tommie Hoban
    Sub: Stephen Gleeson, Christoper Forrester

Burnley
    Starting: Stephen Ward, Jeff Hendrick
    Sub: Keving Long, Jonathan Walters
    1-1 draw - Gleeson came on as a second-half sub - disappointed not to see Jimmy Dunne in Burnley's squad as he has been featuring regularly in their pre-season: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44938522

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    What's the story with Brady's injury, will he be back playing anytime soon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    What's the story with Brady's injury, will he be back playing anytime soon?
    He can't be too far away. This is from a couple of weeks ago - http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...akes-progress/

Fellow long-term injury victim Robbie Brady has completed his first full session in Cork as he looks to return to full fitness following a serious knee injury picked up in December.

Sean Dyche - "Robbie is just easing his way back into the football side of things, he’s had his first football session with the players this week.

He did two thirds of the work (on gaffer's day on Wednesday) which is a really tough day, that was by design, not because he’s had any injury problems, to make sure we’re building him up appropriately. He’s looking good at the moment."

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Burnley seem intent on signing Ben Gibson from Middlesbrough, having made an improved bid of £13m. Kevin Long is likely to be pushed further down the pecking order as a result.

I see Hendrick didn't start last night either, Dyche seems to have lost a bit of faith in him.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Burnley seem intent on signing Ben Gibson from Middlesbrough, having made an improved bid of £13m. Kevin Long is likely to be pushed further down the pecking order as a result.

I see Hendrick didn't start last night either, Dyche seems to have lost a bit of faith in him.
    Kevin Long played a good part in Burnley's campaign last season even if only on the bench, would imagine it wont be as easy as walking through the door for Gibson to get involved.

Hendrick started the first leg so am wondering if Burnley were also sort of using this as part of their pre season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think he'll be ahead of Long in the pecking order straight away, performances will obviously dictate whether it stays that way.

Hendrick became less of a guaranteed starter towards the tail end of last season, I basing it on that mostly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I think he'll be ahead of Long in the pecking order straight away, performances will obviously dictate whether it stays that way.

Hendrick became less of a guaranteed starter towards the tail end of last season, I basing it on that mostly.
    Based on? Played no part in Burnley's pre season and Long has captained Burnley at some point if my memory serves me correctly. Wouldnt surprise me if he is ahead of Long in the not to distant future but to think he will just walk in ahead of Long at this point I just cant see.

Hendrick is 50/50 at the minute but wouldnt say Dyche has lost faith in him, his bad Irish form appeared to seep into his burnley performance's and as expected he eventually was dropped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    Based on? Played no part in Burnley's pre season and Long has captained Burnley at some point if my memory serves me correctly. Wouldnt surprise me if he is ahead of Long in the not to distant future but to think he will just walk in ahead of Long at this point I just cant see.
    Fair enough. I think if they pay £13m for a centre back he's not going to be viewed as fourth choice. Hopefully you're right though. I know £13m isn't what it once was but it's still a significant fee for Burnley to pay, if the transfer goes ahead.

Hendrick is 50/50 at the minute but wouldnt say Dyche has lost faith in him, his bad Irish form appeared to seep into his burnley performance's and as expected he eventually was dropped.
    I said he's lost "a bit of faith in him". He was pretty much a guaranteed starter at one stage, now he's 50/50 (if that) as you say yourself.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Fair enough. I think if they pay £13m for a centre back he's not going to be viewed as fourth choice. Hopefully you're right though. I know £13m isn't what it once was but it's still a significant fee for Burnley to pay, if the transfer goes ahead
    Think Burnely have only gone over 10Million four times, to bring players in, so if they drop 13million on a CB its a safe enough assumption the answer to that position isn't already at the club in Dyches opinion. Unless maybe someone is moving on and this is a replacement signing, Longs hill to the first eleven will be steeper I'd agree.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Fair enough. I think if they pay £13m for a centre back he's not going to be viewed as fourth choice. Hopefully you're right though. I know £13m isn't what it once was but it's still a significant fee for Burnley to pay, if the transfer goes ahead.

I said he's lost "a bit of faith in him". He was pretty much a guaranteed starter at one stage, now he's 50/50 (if that) as you say yourself.
    Im not saying he will end as 4th choice, just saying he wont walk in and take Long's place, he will have to work for it, after 5-10 games he may overtake him who knows.

Yeah thats true, the key thing is out side of Cork & Defour their are spots in the midfield up for grabs, Hendrick form just hasnt been good enough and once Burnley's form started to dip he got dropped when his performances have been much more noticable, atm he is a bench player but can definetly see him getting back involved if he cant find some form.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Think Burnely have only gone over 10Million four times, to bring players in, so if they drop 13million on a CB its a safe enough assumption the answer to that position isn't already at the club in Dyches opinion. Unless maybe someone is moving on and this is a replacement signing, Longs hill to the first eleven will be steeper I'd agree.
    Well they have been playing Dunne ( an Ireland u21 player) as their current 4th choice CB, that isnt enough depth at all for 38 matches in the PL especially for a team that plays alot of the game's they play without the ball and rely on their organisation to get through, signing another CB was mandatory.

Has to be said this is a Burnley side that came 7th last season with that they need to spend money to try retain the position. Like ive said before I think Long will have his chance to keep his place but if Gibson gets his chance and outshines Long it wont surprise me at all if Long drops to 4th.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    On the face of it, and unless Tarkowski is being picked up by a bigger club, I would say Gibson is being signed to replace Mee in the side. As you say, the outlay suggests he's buying a starter. Mee has been consistently ahead of Long so if Mee and Tarkowski remain at the club and Gibson is signed then it's clear that Long is knocked down to 4th choice centre half.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Well they have been playing Dunne ( an Ireland u21 player) as their current 4th choice CB, that isnt enough depth at all for 38 matches in the PL especially for a team that plays alot of the game's they play without the ball and rely on their organisation to get through, signing another CB was mandatory.

Has to be said this is a Burnley side that came 7th last season with that they need to spend money to try retain the position. Like ive said before I think Long will have his chance to keep his place but if Gibson gets his chance and outshines Long it wont surprise me at all if Long drops to 4th.
    Keep what place? Long hasn't started if Mee and Tarkowski are both fit, regardless of the weight you're allocating to pre-season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast