Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 UEFA Under 17 Championship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Reminds me of the first team - come alive when we are 1 nil down. Mindset is all.

Appalling yellow/red cards, too young to be cheating surely!
    Yes the U-17's were quite reminiscent of the first team. Very worrying to be honest.
    I had high hopes for this bunch of lads based on reports - but all we did was hoof the ball long and hand it back to the Czechs.
    Our young players need to learn how to keep possession and also to play it through the middle as well as the wings.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Reminds me of the first team - come alive when we are 1 nil down. Mindset is all.

Appalling yellow/red cards, too young to be cheating surely!
    I thought we had a number of good spells throughout, we were just missing that final ball. Also, with Carty often moving to the wing and coming deep regularly (and doing well at times, in fairness), we were lacking a fixed target up front... oh how we could have done with Parrott. We were a little slow out of the blocks in both halves but when we got into our stride, we played some good stuff, with Hodge, McCann, Ebosele, Carty, McEvoy and Everitt all showing an ability to take on opponents and some nice link-up play - although I will concede that it was more controlled and low-risk when the game was scoreless, which is natural. Obviously when we were a goal down with fifteen minutes left, it was time to push more bodies forward and take more risks and happily it paid off, which was deserved. But the lads will definitely have to raise their game to beat Belgium.

Side note: I thought Bazunu looked commanding when crosses came in... but also, did you see that throw in the second half? Right into the Czechs' half and ran right through to their keeper before Ebosele could catch up... I can see him getting a few assists with that weapon.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Watched the full game. The first thing I'd say is that the wind looked atrocious in the 1st half when we played into it, but was less fierce in the 2nd half when we had it at our backs.

First obs were that they were like men, compared to some of our boys. We physically struggled to get distance on clearances in the 1st half, and really had no choice to play football, which they tried to do at every opportunity. I saw a game either last season or early this season where Garcia McNulty was playing centre-back and his willingness to hold the ball and play from the back resulted in a mistake, and a goal conceded. He was obviously encouraged to do so, and thankfully so, because his use of the football yesterday was extremely impressive, and was not concerned at all about receiving the ball in a tight spot, or being closed down. It was great to see. It helped that he had Hodge in front of him.

I thought Keogh looked ordinary yesterday, and should have been substitued when he got injured the second time. It cost us a goal, when it was obvious he was unable to carry on. I didn't think much of MeEvoy, and it would concern me how bad the Irish league must be if he's a first team player in the PL there. The difference between him and Furlong on the other side was colossal. Everitt looks tidy.
    It's a weaker group of players, both technically and physically compared to last seasons. Troy Parrott would make the world of difference to that team. Joe Hodge would have made the world of difference to last years team.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    When this group won the victory shield last season as 16s they never went long everything went through midfield no long kick outs from the keeper. Grant it that was against worst opposition in Wales Scotland and the north who all failed to get to these championships.

That team that won the victory shield also had three front players that are not here now unfortunately in parrott , okoflex and odubeko . These three bring excellent technical ability but also serious pace and power. Obviously parrott is injured but odubeko seems to have been left out for carty and who knows what's happening with okoflex but somehow he is neither playing for us or the Brits in this tournament which is a real shame with his quality.

If those three combined with ebosele played yesterday I think you have a much more potent side plus then greater options to change off the bench.

Joe hodge really is a nice footballer. Hard to see him(or any youngster really) making it at city but lots of excellent basic control and passing abilities and a nice acceleration which is a nice bonus.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the red card at the end was a disgrace. 17 yr olds throwing themselves to the floor at every opportunity. embarrasing
    These are kids. What that demonstrated was that not enough is being done to punish the cheating committed by the adults in the game.
    Fabinho's blatant dive after fresh air contact on saturday wins Liverpool the game, both he and the official some 1m away, should have been banned for the next game on the basis of the video evidence. Instead the message being forwarded is that cheating is a useful skill of deception and is still very much part of the game.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    He was their captain as well. I hope he gets barred ( if thats possible?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    These are kids. What that demonstrated was that not enough is being done to punish the cheating committed by the adults in the game.
    Fabinho's blatant dive after fresh air contact on saturday wins Liverpool the game, both he and the official some 1m away, should have been banned for the next game on the basis of the video evidence. Instead the message being forwarded is that cheating is a useful skill of deception and is still very much part of the game.
    shocking refereeing when someone squeals, jumps in the air and the ref buys it without actually seeing any contact.
    that ref should be sent home as he is obviously not up to it

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    The worst thing is if the ref thought he had assulted their guy, he should have given him a straight red, which we would then appeal and win. but he gave him a second yellow and we cant appeal that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I think Ireland as a country has been really successful in integrating the Nigerian community. I had this conversation with a Nigerian taxi driver recently who informed me his son was a cracking striker at Bray Wanderers. We spoke for a good stretch about Jonathan Afolabi and how he can't wait for Afolabi to be Ireland's number 9. It's a very important social matter and maybe there is contradicting evidence to my positivity and i accept that.
    I absolutely love talking football with foreign taxi-drivers (or any that know anything more than just about the EPL). And, I agree that it's been a big succes.
    There were difficulties I recall, taxi-drivers getting messed around with the taxi ranks etc, people's attitude of benefit scroungers etc, but I think that's died out a lot and in the area I am in in Dublin there's hordes of teenagers clearly of African and middle-Eastern origin hanging around (never heard of any trouble or seen any)....and while full integration is a bit off by my observations (their religious devotion is maybe a thing there), I firmly believe the next few generations will be full of inter-racial marriages. And it's not just Nigeria now. I have tried and failed to chat up females from Malawi, Zimbabwe :-D

Eamon Zayed's da used to have press cuttings about him all over the interior of his taxi.

Also, just wait for the Poles, and, especially, the Brazilians to come of age. Bolsonaro's election could be a Gary MacKay moment (though the toll it may take on the rest of the world is something I fear and I feel sorry for the Brazilians I know....awesome people in general in my experience, with an infectious attitude towards life)

I think it's all wonderful, absolutely fantastic. But the tug-of-wars in the future could be on an epic scale....!!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These Belgian kids look massive. Their number 11 on the wing is causing all sorts of problems for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    He's been running us ragged on that side, fantastic pace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Greece hit the post from a penalty in the other game.
    As it stands, Ireland are joint second with the Czechs, but going out on disciplinary points

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He's been running us ragged on that side, fantastic pace.
    Gorgeous player.

Disappointed for Ireland. Pity they didn't pick up a win in other two.

Hodge had a great second half. We could do with holding onto him. Obomadimele was excellent even before he made all the awesome blocks. Serious future ahead for him too. I liked Keogh also. And Furlong.

Disappointed with McCann. Belgium didn't give him or Everitt much space and we didn't get them much quality ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Of the current squad, only Garcia-MacNulty will be eligible for the 2020 UEFA U17 Championship. The Qualifying Round is in November, and Ireland will host their group, facing Israel, Montenegro, and Andorra
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Gorgeous player.

Hodge had a great second half. We could do with holding onto him. Obomadimele was excellent even before he made all the awesome blocks. Serious future ahead for him too. I liked Keogh also. And Furlong.

Disappointed with McCann. Belgium didn't give him or Everitt much space and we didn't get them much quality ball.
    Was not surprised to see that, at only 16, he's already played first team football for Anderlecht. Every scout that left the ground must have been looking up his agent's details. Read that he was linked with a move to Liverpool, until the Anderlecht president stepped in
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Was not surprised to see that, at only 16, he's already played first team football for Anderlecht. Every scout that left the ground must have been looking up his agent's details. Read that he was linked with a move to Liverpool, until the Anderlecht president stepped in
    A certain canny digit mover on foot.ie can atest to my post, but I can tell you that Anderlecht are a basket case at the moment. I don't think it's got much traction in the general sports press surprisingly, but there is serious shenanigans in Belgian football.

Anderlecht have some outstanding young players that are not even getting a look-in with the first team properly, despite their woes in the league.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Gorgeous player.

Got to say, as much as I was disappointed by the lack of technique against the Czechs, this Irish performance against Belgium was quite brilliant at times. We had to defend Belgian counter attacks and then had the presence of mind to play the ball out from the back, through midfield and turn it into something resembling an opportunity at the other end - and all achieved with clever passing and no little technique. We were particularly brilliant after scoring the equaliser I thought. Disappointed like anyone else that we went out, but there are definitely the seeds of hope in this bunch of lads.

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Got to say, as much as I was disappointed by the lack of technique against the Czechs, this Irish performance against Belgium was quite brilliant at times. We had to defend Belgian counter attacks and then had the presence of mind to play the ball out from the back, through midfield and turn it into something resembling an opportunity at the other end - and all achieved with clever passing and no little technique. We were particularly brilliant after scoring the equaliser I thought. Disappointed like anyone else that we went out, but there are definitely the seeds of hope in this bunch of lads.
    I thought it was very similar to the senior side's performance against Georgia and we were set up quite similarly on both occasions. The Belgian side were technically awesome all across the pitch but couldn't contend with our physicality and vigour. We just lacked that guile that someone like Troy Parrott would provide. McCann failing to impact the game from 10 was probably a big factor there.

I think we have found our identity now. A counter-attacking, physically-imposing 4-3-3. A Liverpool-esque approach.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    I thought it was very similar to the senior side's performance against Georgia and we were set up quite similarly on both occasions. The Belgian side were technically awesome all across the pitch but couldn't contend with our physicality and vigour. We just lacked that guile that someone like Troy Parrott would provide. McCann failing to impact the game from 10 was probably a big factor there.

I think we have found our identity now. A counter-attacking, physically-imposing 4-3-3. A Liverpool-esque approach.
    Would be very happy with such an identity / team.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast