Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 UEFA Under 17 Championship

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Where is Everitt from? I have searched for an association between him and an Irish schoolboy side previously to no avail.

I've become very cynical about these young lads. Seeing Louie Barry move along and be linked with Barca in the same way McGuane did has enhanced this cynicism as much as Rice and Grealish.
    Everitt English born. He has been in with us since under 15 so this is his 3rd season in with us. Has never been involved with England at a time when England pick about 60 or 70 across a season at under 15. Hodge also been involved with us since under 15 but has played for England also each season and was first choice in their midfield earlier this season. McCann only involved with us in friendly last month and has played England under 16 but not under 17 this season. Don't think there is any other English born players. Obviously the Spanish lad is a dual.

Not sure why you would be cynical about Barry?, he has been in at under 15s and 16s for us and England. Next season he will have his first choice to make. We invite him in just like England invite him. What's there to be cynical about?

Mcguane was parachuted in to the euros had never been involved before and was an under 16 playing up a year. That was a strange decision to be fair and he switched to England 17s early the following season .
    Last edited by liamoo11; 04/05/2019 at 12:53 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not to argue on any if the above. I do appreciate how knowledgeable you are on these matters. I have a passing interest and know these guys so I guess I'm playing devil's advocate due to the natural apprehension.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Not to argue on any if the above. I do appreciate how knowledgeable you are on these matters. I have a passing interest and know these guys so I guess I'm playing devil's advocate due to the natural apprehension.
    I absolutely respect that. I just think we need to either accept that times like grealish and rice will arise if we continue to pick dual qualified players or we lobby for the fai to change their policy and only pick Irish qualified players. If we look at this 17s squad there must be at least another 4 or 5 who are Irish born and bred but have a parent who has a different nationality. In these instances which is to say they wont wish to represent the country if there mither or father when the opportunity arises at senior level? England have been totally unapologetic in how they approach this consistently picking players underage who have played for other countries and been happy fo allow them to jump back and forth.

nterestingly their forum http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/eng...75615/page-279 is suggesting that in their current under 17 set up they have a player or 2 who remains ineligible which seems to be based on the residency and education in England for 5 year rule which was speculated to be why oko flex was eligible for them(but is he?I think his absence from the competitive fixtures casts doubt on that). Basically they will Hoover players up just in case they end up been good enough

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Agreed Liam. You're generally on the ball in this regard. I am going out on a limb here and could be completely wrong but I think that our under 17 side has 4 players of Nigerian heritage. I think Ireland as a country has been really successful in integrating the Nigerian community. I had this conversation with a Nigerian taxi driver recently who informed me his son was a cracking striker at Bray Wanderers. We spoke for a good stretch about Jonathan Afolabi and how he can't wait for Afolabi to be Ireland's number 9. It's a very important social matter and maybe there is contradicting evidence to my positivity and i accept that.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Was kind of impressed that every player was signing the anthem. Except one. I believe it was McCann, if anyone can confirm or deny.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen View Post
    Was kind of impressed that every player was signing the anthem. Except one. I believe it was McCann, if anyone can confirm or deny.
    Did Hodge pipe up?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Anthem Shmanthem lads, Declan learnt it too. Belted it out.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Did Hodge pipe up?
    He did

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    McCann did but it was more mumbling it rather than belting it.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    'I’m proud to score for Ireland. There’s no better feeling' https://the42.ie/4620964

Cork granny by Everitt. If he's any good, I won't he hopeful. Forgive my cynicism.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Everitt English born. He has been in with us since under 15 so this is his 3rd season in with us. Has never been involved with England at a time when England pick about 60 or 70 across a season at under 15. Hodge also been involved with us since under 15 but has played for England also each season and was first choice in their midfield earlier this season. McCann only involved with us in friendly last month and has played England under 16 but not under 17 this season. Don't think there is any other English born players. Obviously the Spanish lad is a dual.

Not sure why you would be cynical about Barry?, he has been in at under 15s and 16s for us and England. Next season he will have his first choice to make. We invite him in just like England invite him. What's there to be cynical about?

Mcguane was parachuted in to the euros had never been involved before and was an under 16 playing up a year. That was a strange decision to be fair and he switched to England 17s early the following season .
    What is Hodge's tie? It's not an Irish name so I assume it's on the mother's side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Team announced. Sobowale misses out with injury, Anselmo McNulty comes in.
    Bazunu starts, despite Corcoran being available again after suspension

Belgium 2-0 up on Greece in the last few minutes
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Team announced. Sobowale misses out with injury, Anselmo McNulty comes in.
    Bazunu starts, despite Corcoran being available again after suspension

Belgium 2-0 up on Greece in the last few minutes
    Ten minutes to go, one down to the Czechs. Some good individual performances for Ireland (big lad at the back and Hodge) but serious lack of ideas going forward - just hoof ball really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    1 all now. well deserved. have played much better since going behind

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Big lad equalizes for us. Deserved for him. 1-1 is a lot better than 0-1

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Finished 1-1. Red card for Irish striker in stoppage time. Means we must now beat Belgium to qualify (assuming that Czechs will defeat Greece who have very little chance now).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    the red card at the end was a disgrace. 17 yr olds throwing themselves to the floor at every opportunity. embarrasing

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Wasn't it a second yellow? The coach was talking about an appeal, but that's not an option with a yellow card?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Reminds me of the first team - come alive when we are 1 nil down. Mindset is all.

Appalling yellow/red cards, too young to be cheating surely!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the red card at the end was a disgrace. 17 yr olds throwing themselves to the floor at every opportunity. embarrasing
    Agreed. It was disgraceful - the Czech lad was barely touched. And if that minutest of contact makes him fall he shouldn't be playing the game. Hopefully UEFA rescind the red card and issue a yellow to the Czech lad.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast