Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 118

Thread: Racism

  1. #1
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,377
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,308 Posts

    Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    you don't get to decide what is it and is not racist.
    ******. If someone accuses me of racism, I have every right to defend myself if required. That's basic "Innocent until proven guilty" stuff - otherwise you can choose to get offended at anything and there's no comeback to being called a racist.

  2. #2
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    16,360
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    ******. If someone accuses me of racism, I have every right to defend myself if required. That's basic "Innocent until proven guilty" stuff - otherwise you can choose to get offended at anything and there's no comeback to being called a racist.
    you were not accused of anything.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time: http://twitter.com/irish_abroad and posted to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics

  3. #3
    International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nottingham.
    Posts
    8,597
    Thanks
    1,449
    Thanked 834 Times in 575 Posts
    Most of the people making such remarks, they are best ignored really, don't let them set the agenda, stick to the football.

  4. #4
    First Team Gather round's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    1,964
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 199 Times in 158 Posts
    There's a widely accepted definition of racism, as I think Tets was suggesting. Stereotyped prejudice + position of power to abuse. As Stu suggests anyone accused should be able to defend the charge.

    Every football team has a shrill minority of prejudiced fans. I doubt it deters many potential players though.

  5. #5
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,377
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    you were not accused of anything.
    Do you know what the word "If" means?

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #6
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,377
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    There's a widely accepted definition of racism, as I think Tets was suggesting. Stereotyped prejudice + position of power to abuse.
    For sure.

    My point is that I don't think "Go play for Jamaica" can possibly come under that definition, for the reasonvs I stated. No more than telling someone you'll lynch them is racist. (It's deplorable, and I'd support legal action on some kind of threat to cause bodily harm charge because internet bullying is a serious issue, but it's not racist just because the guy's black)

  8. #7
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,377
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,308 Posts

    Racism-2

    Because mentioning someone's race doesn't automatically make something racist

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #8
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
    Stu,suggesting to a black guy that you’ll lynch him is rascist because of the historical context.In the same way as standing on his lawn with a flaming cross and a sheet over your head with eye holes cut out is rascist.White guy’s lawn.....weird behaviour,black guy’s lawn.....racist

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #9
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    575
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 145 Times in 82 Posts


    What if it's just Charlie Brown and Linus?

  13. #10
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,377
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Stu,suggesting to a black guy that you’ll lynch him is rascist because of the historical context.In the same way as standing on his lawn with a flaming cross and a sheet over your head with eye holes cut out is rascist.White guy’s lawn.....weird behaviour,black guy’s lawn.....racist
    I was wondering if someone would make that comment alright. It has merit in fairness.

    First off, my main argument was about the comment "Go play for Jamaica" I don't think that's racist in any way.

    The lynching comment - I take the point, but I don't know if it necessarily holds. If you said to someone "I'll crucify you for this" and they accused you of being anti-Semitic, what would you say? I don't think Jews "own" crucifixion any more than the blacks "own" lynching. Yes, it's certainly more recent and more black-focused, not just in America - but to label it like this, to me, ignores or plays down lynching of non-blacks in other countries. There's plenty of recent cases in Central America, India and the Middle East. Why should this historic context be ignored? Why should the history of a country not at all relevant to the matter at hand hold sway?

    I think to call it racist is actually to demean it - as I've stated earlier, I think it should be considered a physical threat, and treated as such.

  14. #11
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,188
    Thanks
    3,524
    Thanked 4,825 Times in 3,043 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I was wondering if someone would make that comment alright. It has merit in fairness.

    First off, my main argument was about the comment "Go play for Jamaica" I don't think that's racist in any way.

    The lynching comment - I take the point, but I don't know if it necessarily holds. If you said to someone "I'll crucify you for this" and they accused you of being anti-Semitic, what would you say? I don't think Jews "own" crucifixion any more than the blacks "own" lynching. Yes, it's certainly more recent and more black-focused, not just in America - but to label it like this, to me, ignores or plays down lynching of non-blacks in other countries. There's plenty of recent cases in Central America, India and the Middle East. Why should this historic context be ignored? Why should the history of a country not at all relevant to the matter at hand hold sway?

    I think to call it racist is actually to demean it - as I've stated earlier, I think it should be considered a physical threat, and treated as such.
    I'll make it simple for you then. Everybody who jokes about lynching black people means it in a racist way. It's technically possible to joke about lynching someone in complete ignorance of its implied meaning but, again, absolutely everyone who says it knows what they're doing.

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #12
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
    Ok we’re in risky territory but I agree the Jews don’t own crucifixion,because crucifixion,despite the obvious exception,wasn’t historically specific to Jews.but if you said to a Jewish guy you’d send him to the gas chamber,it’s clearly rascist. The guy who sent the tweet used the word lynch on purpose,because the intent was to be racist. The point you’re making about him telling him to go play for Jamaica I can’t agree with.It’s the modus operandi of rascists to tell the subject of their abuse to return to wherever they’re from.doesnt matter if he told him to go play football or tiddlywinks,his intention was to tell Christie that he is not one of us,he belongs elsewhere and he should go there.that’s rascist in my view.

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #13
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,188
    Thanks
    3,524
    Thanked 4,825 Times in 3,043 Posts

    Racism-3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Ok we’re in risky territory but I agree the Jews don’t own crucifixion,because crucifixion,despite the obvious exception,wasn’t historically specific to Jews.but if you said to a Jewish guy you’d send him to the gas chamber,it’s clearly rascist. The guy who sent the tweet used the word lynch on purpose,because the intent was to be racist. The point you’re making about him telling him to go play for Jamaica I can’t agree with.It’s the modus operandi of rascists to tell the subject of their abuse to return to wherever they’re from.doesnt matter if he told him to go play football or tiddlywinks,his intention was to tell Christie that he is not one of us,he belongs elsewhere and he should go there.that’s rascist in my view.
    Oh come on Fizzer, those West Ham fans who hiss and make gas chamber jokes towards Spurs fans aren't necessarily being antisemitic.

    You're playing down the struggles of all the other ethnic groups and cats who have been gassed.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #14
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    16,360
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Do you know what the word "If" means?
    Sorry I missed that

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Because mentioning someone's race doesn't automatically make something racist
    No, but mentioning it as a reason for wanting someone to leave makes it racist.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time: http://twitter.com/irish_abroad and posted to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics

  21. #15
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    16,360
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Oh come on Fizzer, those West Ham fans who hiss and make gas chamber jokes towards Spurs fans aren't necessarily being antisemitic.

    You're playing down the struggles of all the other ethnic groups and cats who have been gassed.
    Spurs have a historical link with the Jewish community in London, no other club faces that abuse from opposition fans. they are being antisemitic.
    David Baddiel made a documentary about it. Can't find it online but there's this article that covers it: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...race-hate-word
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time: http://twitter.com/irish_abroad and posted to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics

  22. #16
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,188
    Thanks
    3,524
    Thanked 4,825 Times in 3,043 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Spurs have a historical link with the Jewish community in London, no other club faces that abuse from opposition fans. they are being antisemitic.
    David Baddiel made a documentary about it. Can't find it online but there's this article that covers it: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...race-hate-word
    I know, I was satirising Stu's post to make that point

  23. #17
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    575
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 145 Times in 82 Posts

    Racism-4

    isms in my opinion, are not good.

  24. #18
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,377
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,308 Posts
    Also, this should probably be split at this stage

  25. #19
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    575
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 145 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

    There's a nasty element to the internet and social media, helped by anonymity.
    Not having a go at you but Jaysus H. Christmas Stu, welcome to the '90s.

  26. #20
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    16,360
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    On the Jamaica bit, I know where you're coming from, but I think it's still harmless.
    The player, the FAI and the gardai have taken a different view

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is it really any different to shouting "**** off Christie you useless ****?" This kind of stuff - rightly or wrongly - is almost a staple of terrace talk when a player has a poor game, or scores an own goal, or whatever.
    Yes, because you could shout that at any player. Telling a player to go to Jamaica is a clear reference to the colour of his skin, and is not something you would shout at Shane Duffy, for example

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The lynch thing is definitely more of an issue - but surely the logical conclusion of your argument there is that I, as a white person, would be less entitled to be offended/insulted/threatened by someone saying they'll lynch me? But that's the very definition of racism.
    Lynching is not historically associated with attacks on white men, so no, you're not entitled to claim it's a racist attack on you.

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And, you racist, tets says you don't get to choose what I find racist, so I can now call you racist all I want
    No, you don't. And until it's clearly an attack on you based on your race, you don't get to claim otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's a nasty element to the internet and social media, helped by anonymity. (It could be argued the guy didn't mean it, but given the issues comments like these have given rise to for many people across the world, I don't think that should be allowed as a blanket defence. You make a threat like that directly to someone, you answer for it)
    Did you go online for the first time yesterday?

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Threats like this, in my opinion, should be treated the same regardless of the race of the person being threatened. That's why I'd argue it's not racist. It's worse than that.
    I'm not aware of any threats to other players, can you give an example of one, and how they were treated differently?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time: http://twitter.com/irish_abroad and posted to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Polkraine;Racism?
    By ArdeeBhoy in forum Fans Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09/06/2012, 3:10 PM
  2. Racism/SBB row
    By paul_oshea in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 25/01/2007, 4:22 PM
  3. More Spanish racism
    By sligoman in forum World League Football
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28/12/2005, 2:22 PM
  4. Racism
    By bigmac in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23/08/2005, 8:52 PM
  5. Racism.....
    By Jeff Jefty Jeff in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 23/09/2003, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •