Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Anyhow if you are going have a personal online account abuse is inevitable, which is why I don't have one.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Anyhow if you are going have a personal online account abuse is inevitable, which is why I don't have one.
    He says ON FOOT.IE?!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Something similar applies here. I know racism when i see it, and this was racism. The culprit appears to be in England though so a report to AGS will achieve bugger all as no offence was committed on Irish territory
    Since I am not a psychic, what exactly does all this mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He says ON FOOT.IE?!
    Sorry that does not make any sense, why is you point explained a way in which not mind-reading ability is needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post

I think we need a psychic to explain quite a few posts here, seems we are the minority who cannot mind read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think many get confused about racism. I don't think there was a generalise attack on a race here. It was more a personal attack that mentioned
    race which is quite different. I would add I have not seen any of the tweets.
    Such things are best ignored in my opinion, it is making a mountain out of a molehill and focusing on race does not really help as it
    is in itself racism in a way.
    In my opinion is best not to define people by race.

All I would say is some people were rude to Cyrus and it is about time they grew up and leave it at that.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Sorry that does not make any sense, why is you point explained a way in which not mind-reading ability is needed.
    Can someone actually translate this to English please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Sorry to bear the bad news but psychics aren’t real Benno so you’re at a disadvantage if that’s your starting point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can someone actually translate this to English please?
    Sorry that does not make any sense, why is your point explained a way in which no mind-reading ability is needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Sorry to bear the bad news but psychics aren’t real Benno so you’re at a disadvantage if that’s your starting point.
    He does not claim they are real. I know that because I am psychic

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I was out with a friend of mine yesterday who lives in England and he brought over two English friends for the rugby match at the weekend. One of them while describing her experience at the hotel reception described the receptionist "as a little leprechaun" and said she "couldn't understand a word she was saying". The leprechaun comment irritated me. Am I being too sensitive?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I was out with a friend of mine yesterday who lives in England and he brought over two English friends for the rugby match at the weekend. One of them while describing her experience at the hotel reception described the receptionist "as a little leprechaun" and said she "couldn't understand a word she was saying". The leprechaun comment irritated me. Am I being too sensitive?
    I guess it comes down to whether she used the term in a derogatory fashion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Stu,suggesting to a black guy that you’ll lynch him is rascist because of the historical context.In the same way as standing on his lawn with a flaming cross and a sheet over your head with eye holes cut out is rascist.White guy’s lawn.....weird behaviour,black guy’s lawn.....racist

No it is not, what about the image of a lynched David Beckham, now if a black player had got sent off in a similar fashions and dummy of him was lynched, would that be racist?

No it is the same thing.

It is says he deserves to be lynched because he is rubbish, not because he is black!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 28/11/2017 at 8:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Ok we’re in risky territory but I agree the Jews don’t own crucifixion,because crucifixion,despite the obvious exception,wasn’t historically specific to Jews.but if you said to a Jewish guy you’d send him to the gas chamber,it’s clearly rascist. The guy who sent the tweet used the word lynch on purpose,because the intent was to be racist. The point you’re making about him telling him to go play for Jamaica I can’t agree with.It’s the modus operandi of rascists to tell the subject of their abuse to return to wherever they’re from.doesnt matter if he told him to go play football or tiddlywinks,his intention was to tell Christie that he is not one of us,he belongs elsewhere and he should go there.that’s rascist in my view.
    Well if you said all jews should go to the gas chamber it would be, but if you say it to a particular one I am not so sure.
    One is an attack on race the other on a an individual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Well if you said all jews should go to the gas chamber it would be, but if you say it to a particular one I am not so sure.
    tricky, seriously. log off and think long and hard about this one
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    So you're saying individuals can't suffer racism?

Madness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    No sane person has ever been driven to the point of suicide and if you are planning legislation for the insane then you'd be insane too.

Free speech with no limits does exist by definition as you can't censor what you have not read.

IF it did not kill the censor it won't kill you either.

Free speech should be absolute and the more free speech you have the better society will be.

Nobody ever died because of free speech.

Million died because of censorship and still do.
    People have committed suicide as a result of abuse and harassment. Just because certain words might not be threatening, harmful or abusive towards you or the censor doesn't mean those words may not be threatening, abusive or harmful to certain others. Feel privileged that malicious words directed your way can have so little impact on your life; that experience isn't universal.

The law ought to protect even those you so blithely dismiss as "insane". The law is there to apply to everyone and to protect everyone.

If I'm interpreting you correctly, you would have no problem with Irish and British newspapers publishing "tricky is a paedophile" as their headlines tomorrow with completely fabricated stories about you abusing children underneath? Because that's what absolute free speech could mean; they'd have an absolute right to say whatever they liked about you whenever they liked. What if hostile and hysterical mobs burned you out of your home, or, worse, tried to kill you, on the basis of that malicious and outrageous fabrication? That would be a real life-threatening consequence. You'd be OK with all of that and would continue championing absolute free speech?

There can be different degrees of regulation of expression. Obviously regulation that suppresses benign individual expression or all forms of dissent is bad, but absolute free speech can also be dangerous. The key is striking a healthy balance that enables all people to express themselves as openly as possible without causing material or measurable personal or social harm.

I think many get confused about racism. I don't think there was a generalise attack on a race here. It was more a personal attack that mentioned
    race which is quite different. I would add I have not seen any of the tweets.
    Such things are best ignored in my opinion, it is making a mountain out of a molehill and focusing on race does not really help as it
    is in itself racism in a way.
    In my opinion is best not to define people by race.

All I would say is some people were rude to Cyrus and it is about time they grew up and leave it at that.
    You think we should all just ignore racism? It's easy to ignore it if you're not on the receiving end of it. Those at the butt of it can hardly ignore it. Once again, feel privileged that you don't have to endure it.

It's important to be alert to race as a concept - not necessarily as an identity or as a measure on an abhorrent phrenological chart - but because it was a central facet of modern Western internal and foreign policy and, by extension, historical and colonial systems of division and rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Free speech should not be an offence where ever you are, nobody ever died because of free speech million have died because of censorship.

Communication is not a crime!!
    I dunno about that, tricky. Whilst I'm not advocating a clamp-down on free speech or anything of the sort, speech can obviously be very dangerous. See here for historical examples of where it cost lives: http://freespeechdebate.com/discuss/...gerous-speech/

I'm not making a value statement on censorship with this question - I'm just intrigued by your assertion - but how exactly did censorship kill millions of people?

As P_Stu says, absolute free speech doesn't exist, nor can it in any civil democratic society where the vulnerable and disempowered require protection. In my view, if public regulation of expression is ever deemed required for whatever reason, then that regulatory process ought to be as democratic, transparent and thorough a process as is possible with the proposer subjected to a high-threshold burden of proof as to the necessity of the regulation proposed.

I do admit that there is an interesting paradox at the heart of the free speech debate though: free speech absolutists have no answer to how power is monopolised in the marketplace of ideas, whilst, at the same time, I don't think it's possible for non-absolutists (and I include myself in this bracket) to satisfactorily define who polices what cannot be said in a pure incorruptible way.

Essentially, whilst gross inequality and disparities can exist at both individual and institutional levels in terms of held power – which can be monopolised in the arena of communication – and in the degree of access to channels for expression or in a party's capability to voice themselves or be heard, thus materially diminishing free expression in practice where it is supposedly unstifled in theory, there is no incorruptible way of assigning power to police expression to some sort of benevolent, protective or omniscient overseer – be that a democratically-elected authority or some sort of mechanism to ascertain and effect the will of popular consensus – so as to protect the vulnerable and disempowered, against whom expression by the powerful can be used as a weapon to further suppress and silence.

In fact, assigning power to such an observing body to police expression would effectively be akin to explicitly sanctioning monopolisation. Even if that power is assigned to or by a democratic majority, unless there is absolute unanimity in any "consensus" at all times (which is highly unlikely, if not practically impossible), those who assented hold the monopoly of power, whilst the views of dissenters are dismissed.

Although representative democracy might assist in ensuring a greater number of people are served, in accordance with their declared preference, the inherent problem is still unsolved; a Tocquevillian tyranny by a majority remains possible.

Interestingly, the "free speech" policy of Twitter has evolved quite radically over time. Twitter’s policy evolution also serves to demonstrate the paradox inherent to the concept of untrammelled free expression. When Twitter was initially established, it was an unregulated forum for communication and exchange, but the company felt that this "libertarian" approach was actually having an inadvertent and unwanted chilling effect on expression. Consequently, to enhance diversity of expression, they introduced rules limiting certain undesired types of expression. Of course, democratic societies do the very same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Next person to start another racism thread gets the boot for a week.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The multiple racism threads arose from posts moved from discussion on the abusive tweets directed towards Cyrus Christie in Christie's thread. Individual posters had nothing to do with with their creation.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast