Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland’s Greatest Moment

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Dundalk's Europa league group stage win has to be it really.
    Not necessarily it was the first group stage win but with the group stages being a relatively new thing you're just discounting all the European results before they were a thing if thats the main reason for it, which isn't right, then theres also the quality of opposition point, beating that tel-aviv side in qualifying wouldn't be the greatest moment so does doing it later on make a difference? Personally I don't think it does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Not necessarily it was the first group stage win but with the group stages being a relatively new thing you're just discounting all the European results before they were a thing if thats the main reason for it, which isn't right, then theres also the quality of opposition point, beating that tel-aviv side in qualifying wouldn't be the greatest moment so does doing it later on make a difference? Personally I don't think it does.
    It was the highest performing standard any Irish team has ever played in Europe (so far).

Rovers played at obviously the same level in 2011, however their results were not good, as they didn't pick up a single point.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It was the highest performing standard any Irish team has ever played in Europe (so far).

Rovers played at obviously the same level in 2011, however their results were not good, as they didn't pick up a single point.
    In this version of European football. You can't tell me that Dundalk winning one game in the second tier of European football in a format where they get two goes at 3 teams is directly comparable to say Athlone's Milan game or Cork vs Bayern or even Dundalk PSV. It was a good result yes and an historic moment but the league's greatest moments? Nah not for me, personally I'd have it even below Dundalk beating BATE.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 26/11/2017 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    I challenge anyone to name a moment that a BJ was celebrated as much as this
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Has to be Dundalk beating Bate 3-0. Specifically, the moment when Benson netted the 3rd. That's when you really knew that Dundalk were going to the group stage. I absolutely lost the run of myself in the stand. And given that Bate were CL regulars, beating them so comprehensively winning the tie 3-1 was just sublime.

In 2nd place I'd have Pat Sullivan's winner against Partizan.
    In 3rd place, Dundalk beating Maccabi 1-0.

Cork (v Bayern), Limerick (v Madrid), Athlone (v Milan), Shels (v Deportivo) and Dundalk (on numerous occasions -PSV, Celtic, Spurs, Legia, Alkmar) were all excellent draws against big names, but they were just that - draws, usually losing over 2 legs. Bohs beat Kaiserslautern 1-0 in 00, which was great, but they ultimately lost the tie too. I just can't for the life of me say that our biggest moment was a draw and then losing the tie, even if it was against a household European name.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    If we are talking wins in Europe then I'm forwarding Cork City 4 -1 Malmo FF over two legs. 3-1 and 1-0. Malmo played in the European Cup Final in 1978-79. Lost to Nottingham Forest.

For me personally it was everytime Seani Maguire did something. He is the best player I've ever had the pleasure of watching on a weekly basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    In this version of European football. You can't tell me that Dundalk winning one game in the second tier of European football in a format where they get two goes at 3 teams is directly comparable to say Athlone's Milan game or Cork vs Bayern or even Dundalk PSV. It was a good result yes and an historic moment but the league's greatest moments? Nah not for me, personally I'd have it even below Dundalk beating BATE.
    All of those games you mention were draws, good results mind, I still put Dlk's 4 points in the group stage up there, and I`d be quite sure you would have ranked Rovers too if they had collected a win in 2011 as a contender, plus that was the word I used initially on Dlk's group stage win and draw was 'a contender'

3-0 win v BATE was an excellent performance along with the result.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    If we are talking wins in Europe then I'm forwarding Cork City 4 -1 Malmo FF over two legs. 3-1 and 1-0. Malmo played in the European Cup Final in 1978-79. Lost to Nottingham Forest.

For me personally it was everytime Seani Maguire did something. He is the best player I've ever had the pleasure of watching on a weekly basis.
    That was an excellent result, but it was in the Inter Toto cup, which demeans it a bit.

Also, that match was in '04. You can't be claiming Malmo were a top side because they reached the European cup final in 1979! They weren't exactly the same force 25 yrs later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    They were as good a side as the Bayern Munich side we faced. So from a "name" point of view they are right up there. If you are ever bored just take a look at the Bayern squad that year, I think Ally McInally was in there. Take out Steffen Effenberg and there aren't too many recognisable names.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I'm sorry, but Malmo will never be considered in the same bracket as Bayern. If you're saying Malmo 04 were as good as Bayern 91, you're basically saying that Bayern 91 were exceptionally poor by their own standards, which does a disservice to Corks achievement that year.

Also worth mentioning that Shels result against Hajduk Split in 04 was just fantastic. I always forget about that result because the Deportivo match was so huge a few weeks later it overshadowed it, but it's gotta be up there too.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Its hard to take Inter Toto matches as serious contenders for anything really, although Cork did embrace the competition at its peak and had some fine results. In the context of greatest LOI moments, it can’t be considered, and is no comparison to any European matches, it should only be a club achievement.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    They were as good a side as the Bayern Munich side we faced. So from a "name" point of view they are right up there. If you are ever bored just take a look at the Bayern squad that year, I think Ally McInally was in there. Take out Steffen Effenberg and there aren't too many recognisable names.
    I can't agree with that. That Malmo side were poor. Probably one of the poorest sides I've seen us face in Europe. I think it was mostly because they took a result for granted, but they showed nothing in the game in Turners Cross. The keeper as far as I remember was their 3rd choice. I don't think he's have gotten a game for our U-19's.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I can't agree with that. That Malmo side were poor. Probably one of the poorest sides I've seen us face in Europe. I think it was mostly because they took a result for granted, but they showed nothing in the game in Turners Cross. The keeper as far as I remember was their 3rd choice. I don't think he's have gotten a game for our U-19's.
    They hadn't won anything the previous year in Sweden either. So your win against Hacken (who were Swedish cup winners) last year was probably a better achievement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    My main point is that you have to put it up there with draws over big teams as Malmo are a relatively big club who have had some great European success. The Bayern team in particular get thrown out there but that was barely a Bayern Munich team. More like a bunch of Germans (and Alan McInally) wearing Bayern Munich shirts.
    They went on to finish 10th in the Bundesliga that season and were beaten 6-3 by a team who went onto become FC Copenhagen in the next round.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    My main point is that you have to put it up there with draws over big teams as Malmo are a relatively big club who have had some great European success. The Bayern team in particular get thrown out there but that was barely a Bayern Munich team. More like a bunch of Germans (and Alan McInally) wearing Bayern Munich shirts.
    They went on to finish 10th in the Bundesliga that season and were beaten 6-3 by a team who went onto become FC Copenhagen in the next round.
    Malmo are not a big club. They're top dogs in Sweden, and bigger than any Irish clubs of course, but apart from reaching the final in 1979 they've never done anything of note in Europe. They rarely get past the 1st round. It's all here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C...opean_football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    The naming of the league Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken League...As a huge fan of fried chicken these were really special times

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Shels against deportivo, no?
    No side has come close to champions league qualifying. And I include dundalk in that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    All of those games you mention were draws, good results mind, I still put Dlk's 4 points in the group stage up there, and I`d be quite sure you would have ranked Rovers too if they had collected a win in 2011 as a contender, plus that was the word I used initially on Dlk's group stage win and draw was 'a contender'

3-0 win v BATE was an excellent performance along with the result.
    They were draws but against far superior opposition than tel-aviv who in the greatest respect are a team you wouldn't be too unhappy to draw in the qualifiers, bar the pain in the ass away leg.
    I know you said it was a contender but my reply was to the Limerick fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Fair enough then RH.

That PSV team Dundalk played in 1976 and drew 1-1 with had 3 or 4 Dutch internationalist I think, and some who played in the WC final 2 years earlier in 1974 or possibly 2 years later in 1978. Another one sometimes forgotten was the 1-1 draw at home to Spurs in 1981, 4 months after they won the FA Cup, then a huge trophy and probably higher ranked than finishing 2nd or possibly 3rd in the English League. What a night that was, 18,000 crammed into oriel park, only lost the away leg 1-0 too.

What was that book that was out a few years ago, featuring the top 10 Irish performances in Europe. I bought it, can't recall the name (Gods v Goliaths????? ) They even had a mention for Galway playing a Dutch team in Connemara, Gronnigen was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Pat O Sullivan for me, I know I'm biased but as a breakthrough moment for something that we all thought was almost impossible it gets it ...
    I honestly thought at the time it would make the LOI more popular overall but the armchair fan moved on pretty quick, same as last year with Dundalk the benefits to the league are fleeting at best

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast