Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Unusual/Notable stuff from around the football world.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Here is King Kazu consoling Iniesta after Yokohama FC beat Vissel Kobe 2-1 last November. Playing alongside Shunsuke Nakamura these days, a spring chicken at 42.

Last edited by osarusan; 11/01/2021 at 11:27 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,015 Posts
    I should correct my original post actually - they're a top-flight side now.

I think he was left out of Japan's 1998 World Cup squad - despite being top scorer in qualifying - as he was deemed too old. At 31.

osarusan - you'll have half an idea what the craic is with him. He can't be up to it still surely? Is it a token thing or what's going on?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

osarusan - you'll have half an idea what the craic is with him. He can't be up to it still surely? Is it a token thing or what's going on?
    Comes on for the last couple of minutes mostly. 4 appearences in J1 last year. In J2 before that it was 9, 12, 20, 16, going back in years.

There's a lot of publicity in it alright, maybe he helps out with coaching or something, or maybe they use him a lot for sponsorship and the like, but J-League is still a serious and professional league even at J2, so he can't be completely useless.

I was a Yokohama FC fan when I was in Japan - they were the closest team to me and my sense of Irishness made me embrace the underdog, rather than the far bigger and more successful Yokohama Marinos, who were 2 stops farther away on the subway. I loved watching him play. Even as an auld fella, he had the vision and touch of a player at a much higher level. Here he is 13 years ago - Dec 2007. I was at this game, which was the last game of the season. Yokohama FC have already been relegated (in fact, they set the record for the fast ever relegation, relegated with something like 8 games to play), whereas Urawa top the table and a win guarantees them the league. Enter King Kazu at 0.38, skipping past a player on the sideline and setting up the only goal of the game, that ended up losing Urawa the league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojbmpc9kOCo (Despite the crowd, it's actually a home game for Yokohama FC but moved to the Marinos stadium to accommodate the Urawa fans)
    Last edited by osarusan; 15/01/2021 at 11:51 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456