Thread: 2018 Transfers

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I meant to add,
    The statement is a little cringeworthy and full of bombast.
    It's not new.

Pomposity, hubris and arrogance are regular traits exhibited by many attached to Shamrock Rovers. It's almost in the Rovers DNA at this stage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It's not new.

Pomposity, hubris and arrogance are regular traits exhibited by many attached to Shamrock Rovers. It's almost in the Rovers DNA at this stage
    Coudn't they just say 'it is a good deal and all concerned are happy with the outcome' ?

Making out like they 'invented' the model of developing players to sell to England is as cringeworthy as their tour 'advising' clubs wanting to be fan owned (although it may last longer )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers need some positive PR and distraction from their league position and the issues their support have with 1st team management. The may have overdone the statement but I can see why if the club chairman thought it would be some relief from the pressure he is bound to be feeling. They also like to be in the limelight no matter what of course!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    They've just sold a player to the English Champions and the richest football club in the world. Even if it requires some creativity they should be talking it up publicly as much as they can/want, it would be stupid not too....also in the age of social media every mention of "transfer", "Man City", "Guardiola" etc. is more exposure for Rovers. Milk the hell out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Dundalk announced yesterday that Gary Rogers has extended his contract to 2019. He’s 37 now, but probably had one of his best seasons this year. I think I read he has 28 clean sheets so far this year, not sure if this is league or all games, still a more than decent feat.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk announced yesterday that Gary Rogers has extended his contract to 2019. He’s 37 now, but probably had one of his best seasons this year. I think I read he has 28 clean sheets so far this year, not sure if this is league or all games, still a more than decent feat.
    He's had an excellent season domestically. Didn't cover himself in glory out in Larnaca, but then neither did most of the Dundalk team. I still think Kenny should be looking for an upgrade if they wanna make strides in Europe next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    He's had an excellent season domestically. Didn't cover himself in glory out in Larnaca, but then neither did most of the Dundalk team. I still think Kenny should be looking for an upgrade if they wanna make strides in Europe next year.
    I agree with this. He’s been brilliant in the league but if we want to progress in Europe then we need a better keeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Keepers are hard to find,good keepers even harder.
    i think Rogers was more let down by his df in those europe games more than anything.
    He's been excellent for us all season and you really cant get away from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    If Dundalk want to get even close to making the EL group stages, we will need 3 quality players in, 4 if Duffy leaves. I don't see any other leaving who the club will want to remain.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    If Dundalk want to get even close to making the EL group stages, we will need 3 quality players in, 4 if Duffy leaves. I don't see any other leaving who the club will want to remain.
    We haven't really thrown any money about yet but i think in micheal duffy's case this might be the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I think that’s an interesting point, as apart from funding the €55k stg transfer for McEleney and obviously increasing other players contracts, Gannon being one with a 3 year deal, Hoare, McGrath two more, the new owners have not yet fully flexed their muscle in the transfer market.

They would have seen from the Larnaca 4-0 defeat, if they want to advance further, and for them it will be important as that’s where the real pick up money is in Europe, they know full well at least 3 new players will be needed, maybe even 4 if Duffy stays.

The winter shopping list will be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Hmmmmmm 'investing' money in player wages to qualify for European largesse. Sure, what could possibly go wrong with that business model

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Hmmmmmm 'investing' money in player wages to qualify for European largesse. Sure, what could possibly go wrong with that business model
    Always open to take advice from the ones who would know how this works

pass me a pint of a shoite craft beer and a willems cigar while i peruse the won 10-games-in-a-row(&according to rte,the form team) credentials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    We haven't really thrown any money about yet but i think in micheal duffy's case this might be the time.
    Duffy has already been offered a serious wage to stay. He knows he can get far more in England so he’ll wait and see what offers come in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I think in the case of the new owners of Dundalk, this group already has the money in reserve to invest in players. They’ll obviously be looking for a return in investment quick enough, and the only way for that is to qualify for EL group stages, even if Mike Tracey did mention CL group stages, and given Dundalk were close v Legia for the CL, the EL stage albeit one more round these days to get there, is more realistic / achievable.

I noticed an Hungarian side were in the EL group stages last night, also that Lux side who beat Legia are there too, so its not impossible to qualify for again, if you have the talent.
    Last edited by oriel; 05/10/2018 at 2:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Duffy has already been offered a serious wage to stay. He knows he can get far more in England so he’ll wait and see what offers come in.
    Hopefully his wee Derry chara PmcE is telling him his story about broken promises and busted wages at Oldham.
    That said,i think Duffy is wiser than PmcE was.A couple of years makes a big difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status...27790288949250
    Michael Duffy has signed on for another two years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Duffy signed up for next 2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    We must have thrown another kitchen sink at him...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Another very important re-signing by Dundalk

https://www.dundalkfc.com/mountney-extends-contract/

Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast