Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Transfers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Cork have really laid down a statement of intent with their signings so far. Wait for the debate on Cork's wage budget, it cant be one of the 4th highest budget gang at this point!
    Cummins is decent, but I don’t think he is any better than Dooley. Barry and McNamee are probably Cork’s best two signings so far.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Town sign Darren Meenan from Shamrock Rovers and Evan Galvin from Cabinteely. Obviously wasn’t worth Meenan’s while going over to Belgium. He was on trial with us back in Alan Mathews’ first spell in charge (2006 or 2007 I’d say) but wasn’t offered a contract at the time. Good signing for us now though.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Town sign Darren Meenan from Shamrock Rovers and Evan Galvin from Cabinteely. Obviously wasn’t worth Meenan’s while going over to Belgium. He was on trial with us back in Alan Mathews’ first spell in charge (2006 or 2007 I’d say) but wasn’t offered a contract at the time. Good signing for us now though.
    Just spotted that on Twitter alright. Truly a #greatestleagueintheworld moment.

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Unless he’s been sorted out with a handy job somewhere it wouldn’t seem to make a lot of sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Is this a big signing for Cork? A player surplus to requirement. Could work out but could easily go the other way, like Hoban with us I guess
    Cummins is a very good signing for City compared to Hoban to Dundalk.
    He was in St Johnstones match squad throughout this season & has made a total of 53 appearances since signing for them in 2015.
    Hoban hasn't played a game for anyone for a while now & he's been back over here since the end of the last UK season.

Now at the end of the day that might not be worth a lot but I think City will be the happier of the two clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I can understand McEleney more than I can understand Sule.

Signing for a side likely to get relegated from the English League is hardly a career progression? If it was just full time football he was after he could have gone a few miles down the road and had a shot at European football with someone like Shamrock Rovers.
    Sule was under contract for 2018 with Bohs, we’re Rovers 1, interested in signing him and 2, were they willing to pay a fee one that was probably higher then the norm for LOI clubs? If No, how is he better off doing something that wasn’t an option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    That's correct on Hoban not being with a club for a bit, his last team was Mansfield Town at the end of the 2016/17 season. I think he had an ankle injury though, so the obvious hope is he has got himself back fit and can return to his 2014 league winning form.

Anyone know if Cummins played up top on his own for St Johnstone or part of a 2?

Not even sure how Kenny will use Hoban, on his own or changing to two upfront with Ronan Murray or maybe the latter a little behind. Dundalk are also after another striker. Be interesting to see who he gets in.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Cummins is a very good signing for City compared to Hoban to Dundalk.
    He was in St Johnstones match squad throughout this season & has made a total of 53 appearances since signing for them in 2015.
    Hoban hasn't played a game for anyone for a while now & he's been back over here since the end of the last UK season.

Now at the end of the day that might not be worth a lot but I think City will be the happier of the two clubs.
    It didn't take long for the "our new signing is better than your new signing" rubbish.

Maybe wait for few weeks into the season 'till one or both have actually played?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Cummins is decent, but I don’t think he is any better than Dooley. Barry and McNamee are probably Cork’s best two signings so far.
    Strange comparison given the different positions. Sadlier is the Dooley replacement, not Cummins. And he's a better player.

Cummins is the badly, badly needed forward of some sort. From that sense, he's the most important signing so far, by far. We literally have no other options there you'd want to be starting. How he'll do it's hard to know. But he's a typical JC player. Hard working, holds the ball well and will harry defenders. Not sure how many he'll score, but if he can bring Shep, Sadlier and McNamee into the game and create chances for them it could work well.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Just spotted that on Twitter alright. Truly a #greatestleagueintheworld moment.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...-make-11759045

From Belgium on unbelievable money to Longford staring at rotting in mid-table First Division hell in the space of 3 days!?

I've always wondered in the LOI do players with their agents hype-out 'potential' moves to media likes in order to secure better T&Cs with LOI clubs. This might be one of the best examples of it
    Last edited by total hoofball; 31/12/2017 at 6:21 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...-make-11759045

From Belgium on unbelievable money to Longford staring at rotting in mid-table First Division hell in the space of 3 days!?

I've always wondered in the LOI do players with their agents hype-out 'potential' moves to media likes in order to secure better T&Cs with LOI clubs. This might be one of the best examples of it
    I don't think our offer would have increased dramatically based on the speculation since we don't really have any money. I'd expect us to be higher up than last year but Galway and Harps will be strong. Shels will be better too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Strange comparison given the different positions. Sadlier is the Dooley replacement, not Cummins. And he's a better player.

Cummins is the badly, badly needed forward of some sort. From that sense, he's the most important signing so far, by far. We literally have no other options there you'd want to be starting. How he'll do it's hard to know. But he's a typical JC player. Hard working, holds the ball well and will harry defenders. Not sure how many he'll score, but if he can bring Shep, Sadlier and McNamee into the game and create chances for them it could work well.
    Can Sadlier really be seen as the replacement for Dooley though? Who will take the role that Sadlier did then? I suppose it’s similar with McEleneny with Dundalk, Jamie McGrath might go in there, but McEleneny will still need to be replaced.

I’m fully aware Dooley played out wide on the left, my comparison was on player talent, I still say Dooley was better than Cummins, I agree though you obviously needed a centre forward.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I don't think our offer would have increased dramatically based on the speculation since we don't really have any money. I'd expect us to be higher up than last year but Galway and Harps will be strong. Shels will be better too.
    If Meenan had any 'offers' from Premier Division clubs on the table I would find it very hard to believe he would sign straight away with a part-time mid-table First Division team within a couple of days of his Belgian move collapsing knowing you's are not spending buckets

Bad move from Fenn IMO, Meenan didn't kick a ball in the second half of the season for Shamrock Rovers for no reason
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I’m not naive enough to think he’s signing for any great belief in “the project”, don’t get me wrong. I would have expected he’d have some other offers though. I wouldn’t underestimate the drop in standard between the Premier and First, he could really stand out but then again I’ve thought that about others dropping down previously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Can Sadlier really be seen as the replacement for Dooley though? Who will take the role that Sadlier did then? I suppose it’s similar with McEleneny with Dundalk, Jamie McGrath might go in there, but McEleneny will still need to be replaced.

I’m fully aware Dooley played out wide on the left, my comparison was on player talent, I still say Dooley was better than Cummins, I agree though you obviously needed a centre forward.
    Yes, Sadlier replaces Dooley. When both were fit last year, only one started. Usually Dooley. Sadlier didn't start the last few games or the cup final. They played the same position. I'm not sure what position you're talking about for Sadlier apart from that.

For me, Dooley was too inconsistent. Moments of magic but a very frustrating player a lot of time. Plenty of talent there but its Sadlier for me every day. The Cummins thing is a separate situation altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    If he gets back the form he displayed in his first season and a half here in Dundalk he'll prove to be an excellent signing for Longford.

Really Likes his social life - and i'll end my comment there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Hoban had signed a pre-contract at the end of English summer transfer window so was unable to sign for anyone else.........................
    even if there had been interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Bad move from Fenn IMO, Meenan didn't kick a ball in the second half of the season for Shamrock Rovers for no reason
    He had a great chance to kick on as a senior player among a bunch of kids. The last year to 18 months his head hasnt been focused on his football thats for sure!

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Hoban had signed a pre-contract at the end of English summer transfer window so was unable to sign for anyone else.........................
    even if there had been interest.
    Kenny kept that one quiet so yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    No the player was up front with things!

Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast