Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Transfers

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Does it ever occur to you that these guys all had other options and chose to put something back in by playing in loi and coaching kids....your writing off and belittling of them says more about you then anything else. .....Sad but predictable stuff
    Thats very unfair.

I am not belittling any of them, nor am I questioning anyone's motives. Each of the players I referenced (and Delaney), have had significant careers in professional football. However the relatively small number of games that each of them played on returning to Ireland is a matter of fact (although I may not have the numbers precisely correct).

Duff, McPhail and Fahey have obviously retired from playing, so it is bizarre to suggest that I am writing them off. Nor have I written off Joey O'Brien, but I have doubts as to whether he can make a sustained impact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    He did though. He called JC and said he wanted to come home, said he had no interest in playing in the Championship again. He also specifically said "its not about the money"
    This absolutely 100% happened.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    ..........as for Delaney he wanted to come back to cork and fair play to him could have made more anywhere else.
    I'm sure Damien Delaney is a lovely chap and is kind to animals, but this is what I was commenting on before inadvertently upsetting your sensitivities about veteran players come home to the league of Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Lets be honest, any club in the league would love to have Delaney in their defence
    I am not convinced RH's assertion is true, and the Shamrocks recent veteran experiences is part of the reason
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 03/07/2018 at 8:24 PM. Reason: veteran spelling

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    He did though. He called JC and said he wanted to come home, said he had no interest in playing in the Championship again. He also specifically said "its not about the money"
    Either that or he was training with Waterford and in discussions having said he didn't want to go to Cork/Caulfield until Cork got the word on that 800k and within 24 hours he was signed for Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    Either that or he was training with Waterford and in discussions having said he didn't want to go to Cork/Caulfield until Cork got the word on that 800k and within 24 hours he was signed for Cork
    European prize money would of been known prior to the start of the season therefore budget would be set according, I’d of thought ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You can't have a serious conversation about money when nobody has a clue about what's being spent.
    Except, we do know what's being spent. By ourselves anyway. We know the wage spending, although not the player to player break down. Our wage budget last year was 1.2m, it increased to 1.5m this year. It hasn't been a secret.

But, we don't know anyone else's wage budget so the comparisons are generally made up. We know Dundalk have money, and they're obviously spending some of it with the players being signed and the quality of squad. I would guess at the start of the season there wasn't much between the squads, I think the transfer window will see Dundalk spending a bit more, but we'll really see the difference over the next couple of seasons. They have resources I don't think anyone else can compete with, and they'll be making signings with an eye on Euro progression. It will be a struggle for anyone to keep up with them i think. This season is probably our best shot for the next while of winning the league, though it will be far from easy.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Except, we do know what's being spent. By ourselves anyway. We know the wage spending, although not the player to player break down. Our wage budget last year was 1.2m, it increased to 1.5m this year. It hasn't been a secret.
    But individuals' pay packets are a secret, which is what we're talking about here. You no more know what McEleney is being paid than I or anybody else, yet we're supposed to talk about it, or what others players are on, based on back of the fag packet calculations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    These wage budget discussions that break out frequesntly are great entertainment. To sum things up Dundalk have a lorry load of kitchen sinks to throw at players and Cork dont have any sinks left. Everyone bar Dundalk and Cork have the 4th highest budget except for the bottom 3 or 4 who pay expenses and some dont bother paying players at all....

Every supporter is likely to inflate other clubs spending, often with a dose of moral outrage at the alleged contract offers, and then underestimate their own level of spending to be upheld as the example of sporting integrity and financial prudence. In reality no supporter knows what is offered to players especially players that sign for rival clubs. It is no doubt rooted in disappointment that a player opts for another club and that has to be to do with money and only money. Mostly it is to do with money but I'm sure there are players that have signed for clubs that havent offered the best terms and for plenty of reasons like the chance to win silverware, play in Europe, play for a hometown club or one a player has grown up supporting.

Sidewayspasser is probably right about the way an 'increase' in European prizemoney is being presented by UEFA. It is more or less CL QR2 money with EL QR2 added give or take 50k. So 800k was a reasonable estimate of the minimum that Cork will get this season. As it was budgeted for already there isnt a significant bonus pot to dip in to now without breaking a budget. JC was clumsy in how he presented that there isnt a significant unexpected additional payment, I can see what he was getting at. There was an increase but via restructuring of the competitions and could be a fairly accurately esitimated minimum before UEFA announcments in May. He was lowering expectation in case supporters thought there was a windfall and would expect the squad to be strengthened. Dundalk in the past made sure that supporters knew the significant lump that came out of European money especially before the 2016 EL, and even then 8mil or whatever that Dundalk got was a gross figure and the net figure while not insignificant was nowhere near the top end of figures bandied about.

Caulfield didnt need to comment on Dundalk's recent outlay in the 2 signings imo, while I dont know what question was asked that led to the huge money comments and that the huge money McEleney was on at Oldham obviously means he is on huge money at Dundalk. He was up to a bit of mischief making by alluding to Dundalk spending 'huge' money but are only 2 points ahead in the league for all the outlay. He was having a bit of a wind up moment there but nothing new in that and is a bit par for the course for JC. The comments could be contrived as deflection, making excuses for possibly not retaining the league etc. I'd have preferred at times that Stephen Kenny hadnt made certain comments, like the awarding of penalties stuff, as I felt it did a disservice to him by making him sound petty. SK is many things but I dont think he is a master of public mind games and so should rise above the petty point scoring efforts. If I were a Cork fan Id be thinking the same about Caulfield as it does come across as thinking too much of whats going on with Dundalk and not just getting on with things in Turners Cross. To use and example, its sounding a bit like (not exactly the same as) the 'as long as we beat England I dont care if we are otherwise muck' type thinking.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/07/2018 at 8:25 AM. Reason: typos

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I'm sure there are players that have signed for clubs that havent offered the best terms and for plenty of reasons like the chance to win silverware, play in Europe, play for a hometown club or one a player has grown up supporting.
    This is it. I have heard firsthand players have turned down Rovers for less money because they think they'll get more games and get a chance to go to England, or they want to play for a more successful team on similar money, or they just think the manager fancies them better. Players are obviously interested in money but they're not idiots either. Most of them aren't going to sit around and pick up a paycheck, play no football and then have no offers in 12 months, which has happened to many player at several clubs.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 04/07/2018 at 3:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    These wage budget discussions that break out frequesntly are great entertainment. To sum things up Dundalk have a lorry load of kitchen sinks to throw at players and Cork dont have any sinks left. Everyone bar Dundalk and Cork have the 4th highest budget except for the bottom 3 or 4 who pay expenses and some dont bother paying players at all....

Every supporter is likely to inflate other clubs spending, often with a dose of moral outrage at the alleged contract offers, and then underestimate their own level of spending to be upheld as the example of sporting integrity and financial prudence. In reality no supporter knows what is offered to players especially players that sign for rival clubs. It is no doubt rooted in disappointment that a player opts for another club and that has to be to do with money and only money. Mostly it is to do with money but I'm sure there are players that have signed for clubs that havent offered the best terms and for plenty of reasons like the chance to win silverware, play in Europe, play for a hometown club or one a player has grown up supporting.

Sidewayspasser is probably right about the way an 'increase' in European prizemoney is being presented by UEFA. It is more or less CL QR2 money with EL QR2 added give or take 50k. So 800k was a reasonable estimate of the minimum that Cork will get this season. As it was budgeted for already there isnt a significant bonus pot to dip in to now without breaking a budget. JC was clumsy in how he presented that there isnt a significant unexpected additional payment, I can see what he was getting at. There was an increase but via restructuring of the competitions and could be a fairly accurately esitimated minimum before UEFA announcments in May. He was lowering expectation in case supporters thought there was a windfall and would expect the squad to be strengthened. Dundalk in the past made sure that supporters knew the significant lump that came out of European money especially before the 2016 EL, and even then 8mil or whatever that Dundalk got was a gross figure and the net figure while not insignificant was nowhere near the top end of figures bandied about.

Caulfield didnt need to comment on Dundalk's recent outlay in the 2 signings imo, while I dont know what question was asked that led to the huge money comments and that the huge money McEleney was on at Oldham obviously means he is on huge money at Dundalk. He was up to a bit of mischief making by alluding to Dundalk spending 'huge' money but are only 2 points ahead in the league for all the outlay. He was having a bit of a wind up moment there but nothing new in that and is a bit par for the course for JC. The comments could be contrived as deflection, making excuses for possibly not retaining the league etc. I'd have preferred at times that Stephen Kenny hadnt made certain comments, like the awarding of penalties stuff, as I felt it did a disservice to him by making him sound petty. SK is many things but I dont think he is a master of public mind games and so should rise above the petty point scoring efforts. If I were a Cork fan Id be thinking the same about Caulfield as it does come across as thinking too much of whats going on with Dundalk and not just getting on with things in Turners Cross. To use and example, its sounding a bit like (not exactly the same as) the 'as long as we beat England I dont care if we are otherwise muck' type thinking.
    Top post. Logical and summed up the madness perfectly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Dean Dillon gone on loan to Longford from Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Great loan for longford
    All he needs is games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Danny Seabourne signs for Derry from Exeter.

https://www.derrycityfc.net/2018/07/...-candystripes/

A experienced centre-half. That's what we need.
    I follow Southampton as well as Harps and he was a really good player for Saints until the nightclub attack. Certainly upper end of Championship standard, sadly didn't work out after that. If he shows some of that form he'll be a very good signing for Derry

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Town have also signed Jamie Doyle from Shels.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Stephen Bradley has his say on the McElaney transfer.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...ck-to-dundalk/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Stephen Bradley has his say on the McElaney transfer.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...ck-to-dundalk/
    minnowism
    Long Live King Kenny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Town have also signed Jamie Doyle from Shels.
    How many clubs has he had now?

Since 2014 I think it's Leixlip, UCD, Shels, Bohs, Shels and now Longford.

Bit mad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    You’d swear Dundalk told McElhenney to get out the way Bradley is going on

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    minnowism
    Look at the flags your clubs just come up with and talk to me about minnowism.

Embarrassing stuff really

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Look at the flags your clubs just come up with and talk to me about minnowism.

Embarrassing stuff really
    Concentrate more.
    The club didn't produce any flags or banners.
    Way back and read the tweet properly.

Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast