Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Transfers

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    El-Pietro the gift that keeps giving

1. I commented on Delaney who based on what he and JC have said I have reason to believe hes on a much lower salary than a player with his track record might otherwise attain.

2. I mostly ignore what Caulfield says in these interviews, I recommend you do the same.

Does this mean you only listen to the parts you want to listen too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    FFS, every time you try to edit a post it get deleted. Anyone else have that issue? Couldn't be arsed re-writing it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    FFS, every time you try to edit a post it get deleted. Anyone else have that issue? Couldn't be arsed re-writing it
    Think its a mobile issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    El-Pietro the gift that keeps giving

1. I commented on Delaney who based on what he and JC have said I have reason to believe hes on a much lower salary than a player with his track record might otherwise attain.

2. I mostly ignore what Caulfield says in these interviews, I recommend you do the same.

Does this mean you only listen to the parts you want to listen too?
    Pretty much yeah, clearly you do the same with my posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Apologies to interrupting the traditional Cork / Dundalk arguments

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...ional-twardek/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Think its a mobile issue.
    I'm not on my mobile though, maybe a chrome issue?

It was a good reply too, basically pointing out how wrong you are. You got away with that one!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    What is it with you Sligo boys and hard to pronounce players....
    Any chance of a phonetic on that for the benefit of the stadium announcers

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    You yourself said he was possibly factually correct.
    It's a very remote possibility, but I doubt that UEFA gave JC the heads up 9 months ahead of others:

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Maybe what he is saying is factually correct, but as far as I am aware UEFA signaled intentions to increase the prizemoney, but did not confirm the numbers until well into this season.
    It seems we agree that his budget probably hasn't been increased. Most likely if CCFC underestimated the increase that money will be put towards next seasons budget, especially as we won't see the money until after the window closes.
    I suppose if he was more open or honest about it and acknowledged that the club were going to receive more UEFA money then originally budgeted, there would be understandably be more pressure on the club to increase his budget and on him to recruit players now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Pretty much yeah, clearly you do the same with my posts
    No I read everything you write, some of it can be pretty funny tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    I'm not on my mobile though, maybe a chrome issue?

It was a good reply too, basically pointing out how wrong you are. You got away with that one!
    Darn! I'll pretend I read it and I'll hang my head in shame for the rest of the day!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Just because the UEFA money was increased doesn't mean it is immediately or automatically allocated to the playing budget.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Just because the UEFA money was increased doesn't mean it is immediately or automatically allocated to the playing budget.
    One of the biggest misconceptions about LOI teams in Europe. Sure you don’t even get the prize money until the next season. Obviously when you know the money is coming you can spend it but I’m sure clubs have plenty of other bills the money goes towards

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Every single thread on this forum that mentions money descends into the same ridiculous comments like yours above. Can we not have an genuine conversation without trying to score points off each other for once?
    A conversation about what? Made-up figures reinforced by managers who pretend they've got peanuts to spend and other clubs are throwing money around like confetti. You can't have a serious conversation about money when nobody has a clue about what's being spent.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    What seems to be overlooked is that City could indeed expect something in the order of 800k, even before the figures were released.
    Why is that? Well, most of the increase is just for being parachuted into the EL qualifiers and playing a round there, and it was known for quite a while that this parachute would be introduced this season.
    If you take the sum that Dundalk were due last season for playing one round of CL qualifiers (something between 550k and 600k, if I'm not wrong) and add to that the amount that clubs were due for playing one round of EL qualifiers (slightly above 200k), you end up somewhere around 800k. So JC may actually be right in saying they expected this amount and shaped the budget accordingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...ransfer-deals/

John Caulfield commenting on Dundalk's transfer activity.

Oddly, he doesn't comment on why he signed another ageing centre back rather than adding the type of striker his team is crying out for.
    The annual crib about how he doesn’t have a penny to sign players I take it....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Agreed, but I don't think anyone has suggested that.

The point is that John Caulfied appears to be pretending that Cork already factored in the full UEFA money when the playing budget was originally compiled last year and that there has been no change in the UEFA "pot" since then

"The pot hasn't changed. It's just the information that has come out recently has given the impression that the club are getting more money again. That is not the case. It's misleading"
    "It's unfortunate, even our own supporters, that they have all got misled by information of the UEFA money. The €800,000 figure going around, this is the same money that we were planning for since we got the league title
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 03/07/2018 at 4:56 PM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    On a semi related note I saw a tweet earlier today (now apparently deleted) from Stephen Henderson commenting on some young lad going back to Cork after a loan spell where he said “x improved in his time with us, not that Caulfield will acknowledge it”. Didn’t realise there was tension in that relationship.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Possibly, but I heard similar stuff previously about Damien Duff, Joey O'Brien, and Stephen McPhail from Rovers fans.

I'll reserve judgement on the impact he will have on a team that has only conceded 16 league goals this season. Cork are crying out for attacking reinforcements
    Only rovers players? Not know any other clubs. McPhail was brilliant at Rovers and I'll hear nothing else, duffer was a player you'd love to have due to the publicity and to be a coach, everyone knew he wouldn't be too much on the pitch, for long anyway had a few moments, obriens only getting match fit so you can hold out on judging him thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Only rovers players? Not know any other clubs. McPhail was brilliant at Rovers and I'll hear nothing else, duffer was a player you'd love to have due to the publicity and to be a coach, everyone knew he wouldn't be too much on the pitch, for long anyway had a few moments, obriens only getting match fit so you can hold out on judging him thanks
    Rovers are probably the best recent example of a League of Ireland club taking in former Irish internationals with Premiership experience in the twilight of their career and those players failing to meet expectations - but they are not the only ones

Similar to the earlier comment that most teams would want Damien Delaney in their team, there was a lot of bluster from the media and supporters about each of Duff, McPhail, O'Brien and to a lessor extent Keith Fahey.

Duff and Fahey barely managed a dozen games each; at least McPhail played intermittently for 3 seasons although he was injured as often as fit and maybe played in up to half the matches during that time. O'Brien has struggled to get fit, although there is a slim possibility that he could yet find fitness and form

I won't hold my breath about Damien Delaney lighting up the League of Ireland at 37 years old, although if he can play at full back he might sort out a problem position for Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Does it ever occur to you that these guys all had other options and chose to put something back in by playing in loi and coaching kids....your writing off and belittling of them says more about you then anything else. .....Sad but predictable stuff......as for Delaney he wanted to come back to cork and fair play to him could have made more anywhere else.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 03/07/2018 at 6:16 PM.

Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast