Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Transfers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...ransfer-deals/

John Caulfield commenting on Dundalk's transfer activity.

Oddly, he doesn't comment on why he signed another ageing centre back rather than adding the type of striker his team is crying out for.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Oddly, he doesn't comment on why he signed another ageing centre back rather than adding the type of striker his team is crying out for.
    A Centre Back who "Played in the Premier League"

He hardly signed on low wages!

Patrick in the paper states "It’s been in the media about us not being paid right so that sort of had an effect as well. I wanted out and they agreed. It all rolled really quickly and I’m just happy to be here.”

Seems he mighten be on as much as is in Caufields head
    Last edited by dundalkfc10; 03/07/2018 at 12:49 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I just never got why fans of clubs give out about other clubs spending policies. As a Bohs fan, I used to love the transfer window and rumours about new signings, but these days...ah well !! But on the other hand, I'm delighted for the die hards of the more successful clubs, that they're in a position to get a better quality of player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    I just never got why fans of clubs give out about other clubs spending policies. As a Bohs fan, I used to love the transfer window and rumours about new signings, but these days...ah well !! But on the other hand, I'm delighted for the die hards of the more successful clubs, that they're in a position to get a better quality of player.
    I remember the days when we would get excited at getting a player on a six month loan from Drogheda.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    A Centre Back who "Played in the Premier League"

He hardly signed on low wages!

Patrick in the paper states "It’s been in the media about us not being paid right so that sort of had an effect as well. I wanted out and they agreed. It all rolled really quickly and I’m just happy to be here.”

Seems he mighten be on as much as is in Caufields head
    He did though. He called JC and said he wanted to come home, said he had no interest in playing in the Championship again. He also specifically said "its not about the money"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Lets be honest, any club in the league would love to have Delaney in their defence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I'm already starting to worry about the 4 in a row.
    Thank God the Langers won last year or this season would be the 5th.
    I was talking to someone at the Rovers Dundalk game last night who asked me "do I think the Dundalk fans will get any satisfaction out of dominating the league as they have such a Financial advantage"?
    I almost spat my chips out laughing and asked him how would he feel if we were 10 points clear and on the way to a second 4 in a row

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Lets be honest, any club in the league would love to have Delaney in their defence
    Well he'd be behind Garts, Cleary and Hoare in the pecking order so no not really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

The Cork boss said there is a misconception stemming from the confirmation of their UEFA prize money that they have increased spending power.

"The pot hasn't changed. It's just the information that has come out recently has given the impression that the club are getting more money again. That is not the case. It's misleading"

"It's unfortunate, even our own supporters, that they have all got misled by information of the UEFA money. The €800,000 figure going around, this is the same money that we were planning for since we got the league title, which you don't get until September.

"The pot hasn't changed. It's just the information that has come out recently has given the impression that the club are getting more money again. That is not the case. It's misleading. We are owned by the supporters. We work off the budget and don't have the money to go out and compete like other clubs do."
    I'm very confused about this. The prize money has increased over previous years.
    That they have already spent it in their budget already is irrelevant!
    Last edited by Buller; 03/07/2018 at 1:45 PM.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Possibly, but I heard similar stuff previously about Damien Duff, Joey O'Brien, and Stephen McPhail from Rovers fans.

I'll reserve judgement on the impact he will have on a team that has only conceded 16 league goals this season. Cork are crying out for attacking reinforcements

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    He did though. He called JC and said he wanted to come home, said he had no interest in playing in the Championship again. He also specifically said "its not about the money"
    How do you know McEleney's not playing for free too? We're lucky Joey O'Brien agreed to sign for three bottles of lucozade a week as we can't afford to keep up with the big spenders like Cork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    How do you know McEleney's not playing for free too? We're lucky Joey O'Brien agreed to sign for three bottles of lucozade a week as we can't afford to keep up with the big spenders like Cork.
    I didn't comment on McEleney or Joey O'Brien. I don't really care what they are being paid, except that I would worry about the general creeping wages being paid in the league and whether that might put teams in trouble.

I commented on Delaney who based on what he and JC have said I have reason to believe hes on a much lower salary than a player with his track record might otherwise attain.

Damien Delaney has explicity said he didn't come home for money, I have no reason not to believe that. In the article quoted above JC mentions that Delaney is replacing the salaries of Howard and Tobi. I doubt either was on more than a few hundred a week, if we were even covering Howards wages.
    He has also said he won't be signing anyone else unless he can move someone first. I'm sure hes trying to find a home for Campion for example to free up some wages, and perhaps Aaron Barry too.

Every single thread on this forum that mentions money descends into the same ridiculous comments like yours above. Can we not have an genuine conversation without trying to score points off each other for once? I'm sure our overall wage bill is competitive based on our crowds, sponsorship and prize money. I'm sure the likes of Cummins, Sadlier and Sheppard for example are very well paid relative to other players in the league. JC has said hes used his budget and that there is no more money available (hence the reference to the Euro money which was already budgeted for and whatever portion of that was available to him was spent/accounted for already).

That doesn't change the fact that Delaney specifically isn't being paid huge money. Hes already a millionaire you would imagine, he wanted to come home, if he wanted to top up his savings he could have earned thousands a week in the Championship, is there really a difference to him between (for example) 500 a week and 1000 a week? He was probably going to retire if we didn't sign him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    I'm very confused about this. The prize money has increased over previous years.
    That they have already spent it in their budget already is irrelevant!
    Then you clearly haven't rad what hes said - hes saying that the prize money was recently made public and people (including Cork City fans) expect that because of this that he will be able to go out and sign new players. Hes saying that the announcement changes nothing and he has no extra money to spend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Then you clearly haven't rad what hes said - hes saying that the prize money was recently made public and people (including Cork City fans) expect that because of this that he will be able to go out and sign new players. Hes saying that the announcement changes nothing and he has no extra money to spend.
    It appears that he might be saying a little more than that-

1) That the club were aware of the full €800k last October and planned the budget accordingly.
    2) All Cork supporters were misled by reports in June of the increases in UEFA prizemoney

"It's unfortunate, even our own supporters, that they have all got misled by information of the UEFA money. The €800,000 figure going around, this is the same money that we were planning for since we got the league title, which you don't get until September.

Maybe what he is saying is factually correct, but as far as I am aware UEFA signaled intentions to increase the prizemoney, but did not confirm the numbers until well into this season.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 03/07/2018 at 2:18 PM. Reason: link added

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    It's clever from Caulfield, he's setting up his excuses. Lose the league and he can talk rubbish about not being able to compete. Win the league and he looks like a genius working on a shoestring. He constantly mentions it so that it's fresh in everyone's mind

I've no doubt our budget is the biggest in the league. I do doubt that there is a big difference between ours and Corks. Caulfield knows the fans will buy his bull as can be seen from El-Pietro above

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Every single thread on this forum that mentions money descends into the same ridiculous comments like yours above. Can we not have an genuine conversation without trying to score points off each other for once?
    I'm not sure that declaring someone's comment as "ridiculous" is compatible with your request for a "genuine conversation" and absence of point scoring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It appears that he might be saying a little more than that-

1) That the club were aware of the full €800k last October and planned the budget accordingly.
    2) All Cork supporters were misled by reports in June of the increases in UEFA prizemoney

Maybe what he is saying is factually correct, but as far as I am aware UEFA signaled intentions to increase the prizemoney, but did not confirm the numbers until well into this season.
    I think you are getting into semantics here. We would have had an estimate for what the prize money was likely to be. Maybe we've got an extra 20 or 50k for example now that its been announced and in theory an extra 20k based on the Europa league by but Caulfiled most likely won't see much if any of that money. His budget most likely hasn't changed or hasn't changed by any significant amount based on this announcement. He will talk to the CEO and the board and try to get as much money as he can but as you might imagine based on our history our board are typically cautious about expenditure.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    It's clever from Caulfield, he's setting up his excuses. Lose the league and he can talk rubbish about not being able to compete. Win the league and he looks like a genius working on a shoestring. He constantly mentions it so that it's fresh in everyone's mind

I've no doubt our budget is the biggest in the league. I do doubt that there is a big difference between ours and Corks. Caulfield knows the fans will buy his bull as can be seen from El-Pietro above
    See we're doing it again. You are trying to score cheap points by pretending I said something I didn't.

Where did I say your budget was bigger or much bigger than ours. I said our budget is likely competitive. I spoke specifically about Damien Delaney. I even said that several of our players are likely among the highest paid players in the league. I have a rough idea about the size of our budget as I attended our AGM, but I have no idea what your budget is. I'm sure its probably higher than ours and I expect it will increase relative to ours over the coming seasons as you attempt to reach the group stages on a regular basis, signing Kelly and McEleney is the another step along the way to this but I can't say for certain if it is bigger, or by how much.

I do think its funny if McEleney is now earning more money and you had to pay a fee to being him back from a not so great spell at Oldham though. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm sure you don't care if he helps you win the league.

I mostly ignore what Caulfield says in these interviews, I recommend you do the same.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I'm not sure that declaring someone's comment as "ridiculous" is compatible with your request for a "genuine conversation" and absence of point scoring
    He said O'Brien is signing for three bottles of lucozade a week. I think its fair to call that a ridiculous comment.
    Edit: My point scoring comment was in reference to each others clubs by the way. That may not have been clear. If you want to have a go off of me for something I've said feel free and I'll defend it if I think its defensible. But I'm tired of the comments about budgets and my club is better than yours because... even though all our clubs behave in almost exactly the same ways.
    Last edited by El-Pietro; 03/07/2018 at 2:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I think you are getting into semantics here. We would have had an estimate for what the prize money was likely to be. Maybe we've got an extra 20 or 50k for example now that its been announced and in theory an extra 20k based on the Europa league by but Caulfiled most likely won't see much if any of that money. His budget most likely hasn't changed or hasn't changed by any significant amount based on this announcement. He will talk to the CEO and the board and try to get as much money as he can but as you might imagine based on our history our board are typically cautious about expenditure.
    You have an irritating habit of banding about accusations - in this case a charge of being semantic - and then provide your own semantic interpretation.

What I'm suggesting is fairly clear, and one you actual appear to agree with
    - Cork City will actual receive more prizemoney that what was originally budgeted.

What Caulfield is suggesting is quite different
    - Cork City knew the full prizemoney available last year and this was factored into his budget and therefore no cash in the kitty.

It is understandable that he wants to reduce the pressure from fans to make much needed additions his squad - but like much of what he says, it appears to be inaccurate or misleading

I mostly ignore what Caulfield says in these interviews, I recommend you do the same.
    That probably makes sense, although you seem to be ignoring your own recommendations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    You have an irritating habit of banding about accusations - in this case a charge of being semantic - and then provide your own semantic interpretation.

What I'm suggesting is fairly clear, and one you actual appear to agree with
    - Cork City will actual receive more prizemoney that what was originally budgeted.

What Caulfield is suggesting is quite different
    - Cork City knew the full prizemoney available last year and this was factored into his budget and therefore no cash in the kitty.

It is understandable that he wants to reduce the pressure from fans to make much needed additions his squad - but like much of what he says, it appears to be inaccurate or misleading

That probably makes sense, although you seem to be ignoring your own recommendations
    You yourself said he was possibly factually correct. It seems we agree that his budget probably hasn't been increased. Most likely if CCFC underestimated the increase that money will be put towards next seasons budget, especially as we won't see the money until after the window closes.

Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast