Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason McAteer interview, incl comments on Keane, Kerr, Mick...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts

Jason McAteer interview, incl comments on Keane, Kerr, Mick...

Jason McAteer

The former Ireland midfielder on why he likes Keane the band, if not Keane the player. And at long last, the truth behind the infamous McAteer pizza story.

Sean Ingle
    Friday March 4, 2005

McAteer: the only man in the world to celebrate the nickname 'Trigger'
    Hello, is that Jason McAteer?Hello Small Talk, how's life?

Only fair to middling, Jason. Yourself?Not bad - I'm just picking up some furniture at the moment. Can you give me a call back in 20 minutes?

[20 minutes pass, Small Talk calls again, McAteer is as cheery as ever]

You're organising a tsunami benefit football match at Anfield on March 27...Yes, I am. It came about after I watched a BBC documentary on the disaster, which was absolutely shocking. I went to bed and thought: 'It's easy to put your hand in your pocket, give £20 and forget about it, but I want to do more'. The easiest thing that came to mind was to arrange a Liverpool legends v celebrities match.

You've got some big names turning up: Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, Kevin Keegan, John Barnes, Brian McFadden...
    [Laughs] The response has been fantastic - both teams are really up for it too, so it's going to be tasty. John Aldridge is in training at the minute, he's never out of the gym every time I phone him. [A squeaky voice suddenly interrupts. It's McAteer's four-year-old son. "Course you can be a mascot, son."]

You've mentioned some great names there. Who's the best player you've played with or against?
    Whenever footballers answer this, they always cheat. They mention the most famous player they've been on a pitch with, even if they never got near them during a game. Roberto Baggio would be mine, but my toughest opponent was actually John Salako. He twisted me inside out when I played for Liverpool.

And the best player you've played with?
    It grinds me to say it but I'd have to say Roy Keane. He was different class.

What was the last thing you said to Keane? That you'd prefer to buy a Bob the Builder CD than his autobiography?
    Yeah, I'd read his book and it didn't really do anything for me. To be fair it was bought for me by Gavin McCann as I said I'd never buy it. Roy was very detrimental to some people I like, although [ghost writer] Eamon Dunphy definitely put words in his mouth. After we clashed during the Sunderland v United game, I mouthed to him: 'put it all in your next book'. He responded by catching me on the side of the head with his elbow. Or, as the Man United fans like to put it, my head hit his elbow.

You didn't get on well with Graeme Souness either, did you?
    Man-management isn't one of his strongest points. At Blackburn you could count on both hands and feet how many players he upset, but that's just the way he is: he feels that's how to get the best out of players. I'm not a lover of that management style and there are plenty of other players who feel the same.

But you always got on with Mick McCarthy, who divides opinion too...
    He's a very, very loyal person, Mick. Sometimes his hands are tied by people above him, but his man-management is fantastic. People slag him off now, but when he took over from Jack Charlton, Ireland weren't blessed with world-class players, yet he still got us to the World Cup. But that wasn't enough for some people. It just disappointed me. He fulfilled the job the fans expected and then they still weren't happy.

You feel he's been wronged, then?
    Definitely. Everything was shadowed by the Keane incident in Saipan and it was a shame, a real, real shame. He also left Brian Kerr with an absolute abundance of talent. Kerr's really only had to tweak a few things and that's why he's having so much success.

What's been your best moment in football?
    Scoring the winner against Holland in the World Cup qualifier in 2001. The Dutch had already booked their hotels in Japan and Korea so it was lovely to wipe the smiles off their faces. Fantastic, absolutely fantastic time.

Playing at World Cup 1994 in your early 20s must rank fairly highly too...
    Oh yeah - particularly the win against Italy. Their players were like icons and I remember standing in the tunnel thinking 'I saw you last month on Gazzetta Italia'. The next thing I remember I was being thrown on for Ray Houghton, who'd given us the lead. He wasn't happy, but I couldn't believe my luck. I came pretty late to football and in three years I'd gone from Bolton's first to the World Cup. Magic.

OK, onto the important questions now. What was the last CD you bought?
    The Killers.

So you're a baggy-jean wearing indie man?
    I like all that stuff, Kasabian, Keane.

[Small Talk nearly splutters into our sun-dried tomato focaccia] Keane?!
    Yeah, I was made up that they won an award at the Brits. It was well deserved, brilliant.

And the last film you saw?You're not going to believe this, but yesterday I went to see The Magic Roundabout (laughs). One to avoid, trust me.

Your nickname is Trigger. Small Talk's always wondered whether the famous McAteer pizza story is urban myth or fact?
    It is true mate, yeah. They asked if I wanted a whole pizza cut into four or eight and I said four because I'd never eat all of it.

You come across as pretty intelligent for a footballer, though...
    In football, everyone gets an image and I always found that by having this slightly dim-witted one I could get away with murder. It also helped me play more matches.

Really?
    Yeah. Managers mostly saw me as a happy-go-lucky person and wouldn't bother me. Because I didn't mind where I played, I'd never be an issue when they were worrying about team selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'm sorry but this lad is a grade A plonker. Mupper of the highest order.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    His comments about Kerr are pretty small minded and sadly he still hasn't copped on that just qualifying for Japan shouldn't have been the end of our ambitions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's such a dumba$$ Always wondered How does he manage to get Dressed in the morning..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I can't remember who it was on Soccer am, maybe Neil Ruddock. He said that they were both filling out application forms for credit cards and under occupation McAteer put "right back".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    to add to the pizza story apparantly he was in lillies and jimmy white walked in and he stood on the table and roared one hundred and eighty.
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    He also left Brian Kerr with an absolute abundance of talent.
    Some people would say that Brian Kerr supplied Mick McCarthy with and abundance of talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    yet he still got us to the World Cup. But that wasn't enough for some people. It just disappointed me. He fulfilled the job the fans expected and then they still weren't happy.
    I can't stand that mentality and attitude, I hope none of the current crop of players think like that.

barglee
    mcAteer played for Ireland whenever asked and showed great loyalty.
    top man.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Yeah even when he was injured against Cameroon in the World Cup.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    mcAteer played for Ireland whenever asked and showed great loyalty.
    top man.....
    Ya he's like a lap dog....
    he has no opinion's himself..
    you don't expect the fella to think for himself do ya

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He was definitely one of the "glad to be here" brigade who saw qualifying for a competition as the real challenge and ambitions ended there. I remember his column in one of the Sunday papers during the World Cup. Maybe I'm naiive and a killjoy but I assumed that boozing might stop just before and certainly during a World Cup, I was quite wrong.

Having said that, he always seemed to want to play, seemed to love playing for Ireland and he played great on a few occasions, a few happy memories, I won't judge him too harshly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Allot of yiz jumping on the bandwagon there and being unfairly harsh on the guy. I'm waiting on someone to say "Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail".. What are yiz like

McAteer is a product of a different environment to what we know now.... There's no doubt his attitude is definately questionable, but his application certainly wasn't. Every match, Friendly or otherwise he was there, wheather he was a regular at Liverpool or in the reserves at Blackburn.

It took the Roy Keane incident to change the ideas and approach and approach of the FAI and post Saipan players & now fans... It shouldn't however result in us ****ing on the attitude of past international who where good servants to the green jersey. I don't recall many people complaining at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeah I totally agree with the above, things in Irish sport have been totally transformed. Back then we didnt have too many world class players, a lot of grafters and we were doing alright to have them.

With Charlton, soccer was sold to Ireland. Kids growing up wanted to play soccer in the early 90's. Mick took over from Charlton and started to try and play soccer with what we had. In the mean time Kerr got his hands on the underage setup and started to produce soccer players.

It's just now that the players are coming through so talk of lack of ambition previously can be backed up if you dont take into account the quality of players we had back then.

Still I dont rate Jason as a player or a person. As far as Im concerned, he settles for mid table teams and never really pushed himself apart from that holland match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    Allot of yiz jumping on the bandwagon there and being unfairly harsh on the guy. I'm waiting on someone to say "Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail".. What are yiz like

McAteer is a product of a different environment to what we know now.... There's no doubt his attitude is definately questionable, but his application certainly wasn't. Every match, Friendly or otherwise he was there, wheather he was a regular at Liverpool or in the reserves at Blackburn.

It took the Roy Keane incident to change the ideas and approach and approach of the FAI and post Saipan players & now fans... It shouldn't however result in us ****ing on the attitude of past international who where good servants to the green jersey. I don't recall many people complaining at the time.

spot on quote. 90% of irish fans were part of the glad to be here brigade too. it was only the revelations of saipan that made people realsie the set up wasn;t all it should be.

how many of ye went up to players on the booze around game time and said ="here lads, this drinking thing isn't on"

fact is mcateer has opinons of his own - they're right there. As for who brought p[layers through, it was up to mick which youngsters to stick with. if it wasn't for mick, kilbane, robbie and a few others wouldn't have the high profile they do today. He had as much to do with our current squad as kerr did.

I for one have fond memoires of jason and hope his do at anfield goes well.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

the good doctor speaks! i always admired his enthusiasm to play for ireland, also mick mcCarthy who missed his brother's wedding to make his ireland debut ,

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    McAteer always gave everything when he played for Ireland. Top man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    McAteer always gave everything when he played for Ireland. Top man.
    Agree with all the positive comments about Trig.

Limited talent, big heart and a desire to play for Ireland every time he was asked. Would have the likes of him every time in preference to more talented players who only turn up when it suits them.

I doubt if any of the begrudgers on this thread rubbished Trig when he knocked in that goal against Holland.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair point but I held the same views about winning before saipan.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good player, represented his country at two world cups (how many Irishmen can say that?). Turned up for the "meaningless" friendlies and didn't let injuries stop him pulling on the jersey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast