Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New owners at dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Red Bull Louth
    Jaysus do you want Drogheda to entirely move to Meath in protest...that would be good!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Red Bull Louth
    Pfft it'd have to be Harp Lager Harriers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Or build a retail park and a 10k stadium in Bryanstown
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Going off topic, there's not much optimism here considering our attendances last season. From what I can see, it's a miracle the lads behind the scenes are managing to keep the show on the road when you consider our attendances. Hopefully we'll turn the corner. Maybe get an American private equity firm inv...-oh wait....
    exactly jinxy, what have we become since then?

im not joking about in an earlier post. I genuinely feared youd be up at the top for years. Best manager in loi, pkayed good ball, good crowds, seemed to be doing ok off the park, etc. i could see no end to it, was depressing.

but an american private equity firm taking over? happy days! I predict 2/3 good years, then well see you in division one - at best!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    re-use of the bar within there
    The club sold a publicans licence in 2017; I would assume that was from the YDC so that's not coming back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Private club licence will do the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Private club licence will do the job.
    A new licence of any type is not meant to be issued for a premises which had a licence extinguished. May not be possible to use a club licence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    “ plans to invest money in stocks of minerals and crisps” I assume?
    I see this popping up every once in a while. Was there some sort of massive diplomatic incident involving these items in LOI lore, or am I missing something?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Just a running gag on here stemming from our visit to Dundalk a couple of years back. One particular Town fan
    was very unhappy at their shop selection and decided to call them out on it on here. Others would get exercised about the away facilities generally such as toilets etc but crisps and minerals were all this man wanted and he didn’t get them.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Just a running gag on here stemming from our visit to Dundalk a couple of years back. One particular Town fan
    was very unhappy at their shop selection and decided to call them out on it on here. Others would get exercised about the away facilities generally such as toilets etc but crisps and minerals were all this man wanted and he didn’t get them.
    It'll be nachos from now on.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I vaguely remember the licence the YDC had was transferred up from a pub that went belly up in the town, then I think that was transferred again down to Kennedys at the train station then when that opened up and the YDC bar closed? This would have been pre the Fastfix lads taking over when Gerry Matthews was feeling the squeeze so he made a few bob off that at the time.

Dan McD did a piece in today's Indo on the possible takeover, nothing new in it that's not already out there but a good overview of Peak6 and the clubs setup currently since the lads took over.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36375578.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Winning the league here barely covers a months wages! And there is no guarantee of European football or getting a big team. The real money comes from the sky and BT deals which we'll never have. Making a million or so profit in a good year is still peanuts to a billionaire
    If people bought football club surely as a business initiative then you'd be right. But if people were looking to buy something as a sensible business venture, then a football club would and should be near the bottom of their shopping list.

So for a wealthy person looking to own a football club for the sh!ts and giggles of owning a football club, whilst not losing their shirt and potentially even making a relatively decent return, Irish football has to offer some potential.

Plus - billionaires will have their money invested in a whole wide range of things. Any one of those smaller investments making a million or so return in a single financial year, off the back of a total investment of similar size, is actually not a bad bit of business at all. A number of the things they invest in will deliver little or nothing for them, and won't deliver the additional fun of owning your own senior football club competing on a European stage regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Just a running gag on here stemming from our visit to Dundalk a couple of years back. One particular Town fan was very unhappy at their shop selection and decided to call them out on it on here. Others would get exercised about the away facilities generally such as toilets etc but crisps and minerals were all this man wanted and he didn’t get them.
    I see! Well if that isn't a "Greatest League in the World" moment, I don't know what is.

On a more relevant note, I'm delighted that Dundalk are in a position to have their immediate and mid-term future seemingly sorted out, I just really hope it doesn't end in tears for them.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 04/12/2017 at 7:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    If people bought football club surely as a business initiative then you'd be right. But if people were looking to buy something as a sensible business venture, then a football club would and should be near the bottom of their shopping list.

So for a wealthy person looking to own a football club for the sh!ts and giggles of owning a football club, whilst not losing their shirt and potentially even making a relatively decent return, Irish football has to offer some potential.

Plus - billionaires will have their money invested in a whole wide range of things. Any one of those smaller investments making a million or so return in a single financial year, off the back of a total investment of similar size, is actually not a bad bit of business at all. A number of the things they invest in will deliver little or nothing for them, and won't deliver the additional fun of owning your own senior football club competing on a European stage regularly.
    These are not "people" buying a club for anything other then making a return. It is an investment fund, they don't have a "fun" section. If you invested money in a fund and then the fund said we have invested a bit of your money into a football club for a bit of craic ...how would you feel?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    These are not "people" buying a club for anything other then making a return. It is an investment fund, they don't have a "fun" section. If you invested money in a fund and then the fund said we have invested a bit of your money into a football club for a bit of craic ...how would you feel?
    Good man - that answers McGonigle's post for me in significantly fewer words....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I have to look at the positives just cause the worrying stuff is too bad to even contemplate before the deal is actually announced. There is general growth potential in Irish football. Yes people will say that any investment fund will look for immediate return and that is all about European money. But that there is no TV deal at the moment is an example of where there is revenue growth potential. Summer football, on TV, a decent product and hopefully growing credibility through European progressiion...well ye never know! These guys may have the clout and expertise to sway tv execs or even make Delaney salivate at the investment potential that Peak6 have and he sees the pay wedge grow as the domestic game grows. One fly in the ointment is the initial cost of making the likes of Oriel Park presentible as part of a sowcase for a proper tv deal to happen and increasing gates steadily to the sort of level Cork had this season to create the atmosphere that grabs a tv audience interest. I get that this all requires a whole mindset change from lst of people starting with the FAI and print media, but maybe this is a breakthrough type investment that we will look back on one day and think that was the moment LoI move properly and fully in to the mainstream. I doubt the like of these guys will sit back and take all the spoofing or piecemeal efforts from the powers that be in the game if it erodes return on investment, like the issue on what the league generates in revenue itself. If a joint body between clubs and FAI take over the running of the league things might improve anyway.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I kind of agree with looking at the positives, Dundalk don't have a lot to lose , no ground etc etc so its not an asset stripping exercise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I kind of agree with looking at the positives, Dundalk don't have a lot to lose , no ground etc etc so its not an asset stripping exercise.
    Nothing to lose??? We have a club to lose if this goes tits up at the whim of some desk clerk in Chicago.

I can see both sides of the argument and I have worked with and for these types of companies but my gut feeling says we should stay well away from it Irregardless of what promises are being made because they talk a great talk but once they own dfc they do not have to deliver on any supposed promise made or what as their lawyers would of inserted every conceivable contingency possible. It's a win win situation for peak6 with dfc having everything to lose

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    LOI needs charity, not 'investment'.

A company that actually expects to make a profit? Genuinely, I'd be very wary of them, because they won't make one, and they'll look for ways to recoup their losses. The 'Sure Dundalk have nothing to lose' line is one I'd be careful with too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Nothing to lose??? We have a club to lose if this goes tits up at the whim of some desk clerk in Chicago.

I can see both sides of the argument and I have worked with and for these types of companies but my gut feeling says we should stay well away from it Irregardless of what promises are being made because they talk a great talk but once they own dfc they do not have to deliver on any supposed promise made or what as their lawyers would of inserted every conceivable contingency possible. It's a win win situation for peak6 with dfc having everything to lose

ok I don't mean "nothing" to lose , my point is that without any assets the motivation is not asset stripping, which is a good start.
    There is a possibility that this could turn Dundalk into a Malmo type club in the Irish context, there is also a possibility that there will be a Dundalk 2019 FC limited after the current club go's bust,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Good man - that answers McGonigle's post for me in significantly fewer words....
    Neither of your posts answers my question! The general consensus is that they are in it for profit and that's hard to argue against. However these people are not stupid and must see that there is no profit to be made in this league, any profit is made through progression in Europe but as I said before even that is peanuts to these guys. So is there another angle? I don't see it but I'm not a billionaire investor.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast