Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: New owners at dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    KIKI Balboa is almost crying and now i'm in tears myself.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/colm-returns-to-oriel/

Colm Murphy has returned to the club.

Anybody who knows anything about Dundalk and LOI will understand how big this is. this is HUGE!!

Key people returning!! For some context, Colm has been front and centre at Oriel Park for about 20 years and a driving force for an awful lot of what was good and improved at the club over the years. From being editor of the excellent match program (with plenty of other great contributors) Was one of the leads in the DFC Trust that dealt with Gerry Matthews during that previous purchase of the club - Gerry did plenty for the club himself but did not make that an easy process back in 2012/13. Then as club secretary was tireless in his time and efforts for the club and in a voluntary capacity, tbh I dont know how he balanced things with the day job. When he walked away from the club about midway during P6 ownership it was a very bad sign and wouldnt have been an easy decision. If things were trawled back over it would be no surprise if this was when things started to slide and was the beginning of the end of P6 ownership. There are undoubtedly other key people that left the club also and it lost its way, but Colm Murphy leaving, for me, was when it really got to the things are really getting bad point. For Colm to return within days of P6 leaving is a really big indication of getting back on track in terms of club administration. Whenever there is an Volume II of the History of Dundalk FC I really feel that Colm's involvement in the club will show how important a role he has and will now continue to play!! No pressure lol. Thing is he would probably hate any thanks for the many thankless and important roles undertaken!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    If anything the FAI should be looking into how clubs budgets are formed, maybe those connected to one club covert funding another club in the league and giving an unfair advantage. Can't think who that would involve though..

Going to be an interesting Winter, at the moment you've got maybe 2 i would say challenging again for the League the rest we'll see.
    Shush!! Drogheda wont want it public knowledge how we gave them digouts!!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Colm Murphy Im pretty sure that I bought one of his books on history of Dundalk! Great to see him back with Dundalk.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Colm Murphy Im pretty sure that I bought one of his books on history of Dundalk! Great to see him back with Dundalk.
    Jim Murphy was the writer of the book, sadly passed not so long ago. Colm, no relation i think, has stories to tell no doubt!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Was there any mention of how much Peak6 invested in the club, if anything that is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Well they covered any losses made, but of course they chose to offer large wages to some players that created a big chunk of the financial shortfall. As owners of the club they owned any cash reserves to spend as they pleased - it was their money. though there is some splitting hairs maybe. They kept things fully funded during the pandemic. But did they dig deep in to their own pockets rather than just the money the club had and earned? Maybe not a whole lot and certainly not on really tangible stuff like spectator facilities. Player facilities its a mixed bag with stuff done prior to their involvement and then added to, mainly in the YDC.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    What's the contract situation with Dundalk? Were most on one year deals last year so pretty much nobody is signed up at this stage?

Presumably Dundalk will have a reduced budget this year so I'd be trying to sway a few of the lads back to Dublin if I could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Need to get the manager situation sorted first for 2022, word is the new consortium will be making plans clear as soon as the Derry game is out of the way, which completes the 2021 season and for those apart from Andy Boyle and 2 other juniors not out of contract.

Will be a reduced budget, but should still be competitive, P6 simply threw ridiculous money at risky players like Zahibo, meant to have been one of the highest paid LOI of all time, don't even start me on the rest, there are at least 5 others who need to go, others who they would want to keep will also move (Patching is one I would think) but for those who 'need to go' thankfully for once the one year deals are an advantage, and they will be gone after the Derry game.

Would imagine the new group have identified who they want to stay and to get in, but wages will absolutely be coming down from the unstainable levels of 2021. Maybe no harm and will get better value than 6th place finish from 2021.
    Last edited by oriel; 15/11/2021 at 7:00 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    So that's Arkaga at Cork and Peak6 at Dundalk, neither of which have worked out well.

The next time a venture capital company comes sniffing around Irish football and the fans of whichever club they alight on get giddy with excitement, let's all remind them of how it always turns out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post

There's very few decent grass pitches in the league anyway.The lads that are taking over know that.I think ripping-up the pitch at op will be symbolic only and could be an expensive mistake from the club.
    The worst grass pitch in the league ( I dunno, Harps ?) would ten times better than Oriel. If I had my way I’d ban them all. Watched Pats v Derry there a few weeks ago and the pitch was horrendous.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    The worst grass pitch in the league ( I dunno, Harps ?) would ten times better than Oriel. If I had my way I’d ban them all. Watched Pats v Derry there a few weeks ago and the pitch was horrendous.
    Not a fan of the pitches either and hopefully ours will be replaced for 2023 season, but have to say always surprises me so little said about Brandywell, it was in a shocking state last August when I watched a game, its def equally as bad, possibly worse at times, depending on maintenance.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not a fan of the pitches either and hopefully ours will be replaced for 2023 season, but have to say always surprises me so little said about Brandywell, it was in a shocking state last August when I watched a game, its def equally as bad, possibly worse at times, depending on maintenance.
    With grass or a newer generation of artificial pitch ? I like the idea of the artificial pitches are it allows more freedom of use for a stadium i.e. community work , training etc. I think unfortunately the examples in Ireland haven't been the best, id imagine in the USA or elsewhere there has to be a higher grade available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    With grass or a newer generation of artificial pitch ? I like the idea of the artificial pitches are it allows more freedom of use for a stadium i.e. community work , training etc. I think unfortunately the examples in Ireland haven't been the best, id imagine in the USA or elsewhere there has to be a higher grade available.
    Rumour is StatSports want to put in a grass pitch and start using their links in UK for the loan market, not attractive under current pitch.

Would be great if the current pitch could be used in another area, but the training pitch behind oriel is not owned by the club, they could come to an arrangement though with the owner and install it, as its prone to flooding from Oct- Nov each year onwards.

16. Thanks From:

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425