Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Betting discussion

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Betting discussion

Some time I like to mention I have a bet on an Ireland game or otherwise mention the odds, I don't really want to have to post that in the betting forum because it would be out of context there really.
    I don't come here to discuss betting really other than in the context of Irish international games, it is little different from a score prediction really.

I mean I might say I backed something as it was a good price, or I would not back a result at a particular price as the odds were too poor.
    It is kind of pointless in the betting forum as it is not really about the bet but more about Ireland's chance in the game for me. I am only betting pennies really. 25p 50p or maybe a £1.

Plus if the forum is quiet it might liven it up a bit.

But as I said it is just an aside for, I mean like maybe I backed Ireland to win v Serbia as I though nearly 3-1 was a good price in a game were a draw might have screwed both sides.

It seems fairly harmless to me anyway, I'm not that bothered about it but it's a little annoying I can't speak freely, it is lilke being down the pub say and mentioning you backed Ireland to win
    and someone chirping up "can we have no gambling discussion please" seem rather over the top to me.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    In this day and age the odds are part of the dissemination and analysis of any game. Mainstream (NFL) football announcers make comments on needless late game scores on network TV about how "There are a lot of angry people out there right now with that late touchdown to make it a 14 point lead."

Who isn't curious about the odds in a discussion pertaining to a big game for your team in any sport? Doesn't everyone want to know who the (real) experts think is the favorite and by how much, etc? I would never bet on 99% of the given matches or games or whatever of any sport I watch but I always think it's well within the conversation to discuss the aspect of it as far as odds or money line goes, etc.

One of my favorite sports to watch is women's tennis. I know sometimes it's not very competitive but seriously, I like it. I have NEVER one time bet on a woman's tennis match in my 40 years of life. I always check the odds though if I'm interested in a particular match, out of curiosity. It adds to the element of game day excitement. It's another vantage point instead of the 3,000th ex athlete who has no skin in the game lazily "analyzing" things in a pre game show or whatever. The days of it being whispered in someone's ear in a dark alley or over. Isn't it kind of mainstream and accepted to discuss odds of sporting events? My mother couldn't name 2 people playing in game 7 of the Yankee playoff game tonight but she knows who is favored, because IT'S IN THE NEW YORK TIMES. It doesn't mean anyone is even betting. Most of the time ppl say they are betting and are not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Yeah I'm against censorship per se,and I don't think any form of discussion should be banned.certainly if as you say tricky,someone tries to shush you down the pub,you'd be within your rights to tell them to f-off.i also think it's a decent and legitimate point to indicate say the odds on an ireland game in the context of discussing our chances in that game.
    However,I also think it's legitimate to point out how sinister the gambling industry is and to be annoyed that it has entirely taken over sport.you see a small bet as harmless fun and maybe you're right.but if watching the sporting event is less fun without the bet,then thats worth maybe looking at.
    The point of the gambling industry is to take as much if your and your family's money as possible.it also preys on the vulnerable.i don't think you should be told what you can and can't discuss,that's nuts,but I think it's also fair enough for someone like me to suggest that people be wary of the risks of normalising gambling.i think Declan Lynch is of the view that the industry is now so deeply ingrained in sport,it effectively owns football these days,that the two would be beyond separation even if we tried and that it's too late now to even try.
    Cheery stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Yeah I'm against censorship per se,and I don't think any form of discussion should be banned.certainly if as you say tricky,someone tries to shush you down the pub,you'd be within your rights to tell them to f-off.i also think it's a decent and legitimate point to indicate say the odds on an ireland game in the context of discussing our chances in that game.
    However,I also think it's legitimate to point out how sinister the gambling industry is and to be annoyed that it has entirely taken over sport.you see a small bet as harmless fun and maybe you're right.but if watching the sporting event is less fun without the bet,then thats worth maybe looking at.
    The point of the gambling industry is to take as much if your and your family's money as possible.it also preys on the vulnerable.i don't think you should be told what you can and can't discuss,that's nuts,but I think it's also fair enough for someone like me to suggest that people be wary of the risks of normalising gambling.i think Declan Lynch is of the view that the industry is now so deeply ingrained in sport,it effectively owns football these days,that the two would be beyond separation even if we tried and that it's too late now to even try.
    Cheery stuff.
    There are lot of ways to gamble, these fixed odds terminals are the crack cocaine of gambling football betting is a weak cup of tea in comparison, there is no "instant hit" in football betting really.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Since the ban, I have seen it mentioned twice on the site ........."what are the odds on that happening", etc etc. As Krisletang says knowing the odds can give you an indication of the form of the team and who is mostly likely to win, etc

Why do others need to tell us whats good or bad for everyone, ffs, keep to their own business.....SJWs. This site can be right up its own arse at times

I find Tricky Colour's posts humourous, and a light relief, albeit id wonder about his tips at times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I've let a few comments slide in the Ireland forum, and that's my mistake. I won't let them pass in future
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Can someone refresh my memory about this please? I'm not a fan of betting, but I'm not against it either, I just think that it's a hobby with a risk of addiction, so there's a place for it; and I seem to remember that simple betting chat was starting to take threads off topic, and that's why the Betting forum was started. I don't remember putting on my iron fist about it though*.

I would encourage anyone talking about censorship and nothing should be banned to think back to what Johnny Ward's forum was like towards the end.

*I'm not even sure where the iron fist is these days, I think of of my smallies borrowed it to thump the other ones with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Upon review, I'm leaving this as-is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    'Why do others need to tell us whats good or bad for everyone, ffs, keep to their own business.....SJWs. This site can be right up its own arse at times'

A bizarre argument there Benno, everyone should just shut up and mind their own business and stop preaching.......except you who can express any views you like and demand the silence of others?
    Better maybe if everyone was let express their views.....?
    Le monde est a nous

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The way I see it is you can never have too much free speech, suppressing free speech rarely if ever brings good, you are of course under no obligation to listen
    or read what someone says of posts.

IF someone has a gambling problem they will be on a gambling site not here.

Indeed if you are forcing such people to gambling sites you are making the problem worse not better, as is pretty much always the case
    when you try to suppress free speech.

As I always like to say, if God didn't want free speech he would not have given us voices!!

Which pretty much proves me correct I think!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    The way I see it is you can never have too much free speech, suppressing free speech rarely if ever brings good, you are of course under no obligation to listen
    or read what someone says of posts.

IF someone has a gambling problem they will be on a gambling site not here.

Indeed if you are forcing such people to gambling sites you are making the problem worse not better, as is pretty much always the case
    when you try to suppress free speech.

As I always like to say, if God didn't want free speech he would not have given us voices!!

Which pretty much proves me correct I think!!
    I had a problem a few years ago, recognised a few red flags and quit completely. I'm more than ten years gone without a bet, and can't remember the last time I was on a gambling site. I'm here quite a bit.

What does that prove you?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    If we had unlimited free speech, Foot.ie would be a shambles and you'd hate it. Unlimited free speech is a pipe dream, there always needs to be rules in society. If you don't like the rules, you can always go somewhere there are none. You won't like it, I promise you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Now everyone tell me how handsome I am, or I'm shutting this f*cker down.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I had a problem a few years ago, recognised a few red flags and quit completely. I'm more than ten years gone without a bet, and can't remember the last time I was on a gambling site. I'm here quite a bit.

That you are not very good at gambling. cough!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    And you’re not very good at comedy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

Congrats on your sobriety! Just out of curiosity, what kind of red flags? Thinking about betting all the time? Chasing your losses? The quantity of the bets?

Asking for a friend.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 02/12/2017 at 1:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Chasing the losses. I had my biggest loss one weekend on the six Nations, and immediately looked at the following week's fixtures to see how I would balance that out with a win. Immediately, I thought this would never end well, so I stopped, and that was it.

20. Thanks From: