Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Denmark - Tue, 14 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 2nd Leg

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Their plan worked, they let us score to trick us into believing we could play football and we fell apart at that seams.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Will people stop saying Eriksen isn't world class. He's absolutely world class.

3. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    After the 6-1 home loss to Germany and the worst tournament performances we ever had. You're on your own there buddy.
    Well as bad as losing 6-1 at home to Germany is, I think tonight is worse. The Germans had world class players everywhere, Denmark aren't a million miles above us in terms of quality.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Well as bad as losing 6-1 at home to Germany is, I think tonight is worse. The Germans had world class players everywhere, Denmark aren't a million miles above us in terms of quality.
    Of course tonight is worse and also because of what was at stake. It was probably the worst in my memory, outdoing the 5-2 loss in Cyprus when Stan was in charge.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfcman View Post
    At least this will give the FAI plenty of scope to focus on League of Ireland involvement in Europe next summer ...
    Yeah, and I'm sure they just can't wait to focus all their attentions there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Sorry Wales!?? Didn't they break our captains leg?
    We can't take the holy ground here on matters like that.
    We have a genuine scumbag in our team who is constantly trying to injure opponents. Its not even subtle anymore. Allen.v Wales Paulsen tonight. Bentnder tonight. Sisco tonight. Thats not.leadership its cowardice. The sooner someone breaks him up and he can see how reckless he's been, the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post

Denmark have spent 15 years under Morten Olsen developing a common system and tactical approach at all levels. They have the same population as us and their players play at a similar level. Some even in the Danish and Norwegian league. But they have a plan. They know how to pass.

We have an FAI with no national development plan and an international team that lurches from one match to the next, relying only on passion and desire.

Everything wrong with Irish football got exposed tonight. We can continue to ignore it, or we can use this as an opportunity to do something about it.
    Agree with all.of that brine3 fair.play.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    I think this is the lowest point I remember for the Ireland side in my 50 plus years. And we have had some bad ones. Denmark are a bang average side with a very good midfielder, not a world class one. They are certainly not in the same league as the Denmark team that took us apart twice in the 80's. Since Brian Kerr we have had a succession of managers who instil lack of belief into the squad and encourage the squad to defend deep and try and nick a goal, then hang on for dear life. The neutrals who watched Saturdays game must have been praying we didn't make it, imagine having to watch that style played out on world cup TV for 90 minutes. My suggestion is forget the Euros, get rid of the veterans and try and build with younger players, and yes, even Eircom league players if they do the business in European club competition. We are going nowhere with this O'Neill. Get the other one or Kenny.
    If Denmark are a bang average side, where does that leave us. THey played us off the park with their passing movements. How hard is it to come and look for a pass and move into space to look for a return pass. Ireland, N.Ireland just don't know how to play a passing football game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Don't give that manager a new contract.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Whatever about it being a shambles of an evening...

McGeady for Meyler is a substitution i will never understand.

I'm just despondent after that.
    Mystery substitutions, a manager who has no faith in a constructive brand of football, four points squandered against Austria and Georgia (all of which was the manager's fault), players who don't have it in them to do anything else than hoof the ball all day long. You can only go so far with that bankrupt brand of football. We had no business in Russia. Spend the next four years developing players to pass and move and pass and move, just like the Danes did tonight. We are also crying out like never before for strikers. If you can't score goals it puts an awful lot of pressure on the defence. Our defence is always defending even when the ball is in the opponents half.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    We were favourites to top the group at one stage. What happened?
    Reality called.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    After the 6-1 home loss to Germany and the worst tournament performances we ever had. You're on your own there buddy.
    Disagree, we played Spain and Italia, the two eventual finalists and Croatia who got to the later stages too.

All strong sides, add this to the equation, Shay, Richie, Josh were all carrying injuries.

That said we did as best we could, let’s not forget what Mr Trapattoni took over and how he got us back on track.

The current players just aren’t good enough,as is ONeill, spent force same.

In Trap we trust.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Disagree, we played Spain and Italia, the two eventual finalists and Croatia who got to the later stages too.

All strong sides, add this to the equation, Shay, Richie, Josh were all carrying injuries.

That said we did as best we could, let’s not forget what Mr Trapattoni took over and how he got us back on track.

The current players just aren’t good enough,as is ONeill, spent force same.

In Trap we trust.
    In Trap we trust? How about 'in ourselves we trust'. Why don't we trust ourselves to start coaching the game properly in Ireland? Denmark had to make a decision way back when to play the game properly, and look at them now. Iceland did the same and look at them. Iceland, with their massive population of 300,000 people put the whole island of Ireland, North and South, to shame. Utter shame.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    There will be an outcry and an inquest tomorrow. But what will come of it? Absolutely nothing, because we've been down this road many many times and all the FAI care about is getting to the next tournament and making the shillings. It's about time the top people in the LOI and the former internationals called out the FAI and demanded an end to year after pathetic year of hoof ball football.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The needed revolution in how underage football is handled here is just never going to happen though. We all know it needs to change, but the people in a position to make those changes seem to have no interest in doing so.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    There was a documentary on in the pub after the match, Giles.

It showed what was an U-11s match or similar - 11-a-side, on a full pitch with full goals.

Most of the rest of the world left that behind years ago - 7-a-side and smaller goals.

Tells its own story I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There was a documentary on in the pub after the match, Giles.

It showed what was an U-11s match or similar - 11-a-side, on a full pitch with full goals.

Most of the rest of the world left that behind years ago - 7-a-side and smaller goals.

Tells its own story I think.
    My kid plays under 11s and they play seven a side in.smaller.goals.with very specific rules on time.spent on a pitch. Keeper cannot.kick.out of hands and there is a retreat line.
    All above strictly enforced.

Under 12s are 9.a.side.on smaller pitch with smaller goals.

22. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    Okey doke; good to hear. I'll take my comment back so.

Wonder what was in the documentary? Certainly the keeper was too small for the goals, and it was more than 7-a-side. Could have been 12s maybe? Wasn't aware of the intermediate 9-a-side phase

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    As Riff Raff said , I too am in 50s and I have never experienced such a disaster. This felt even worse than Henry's handball. I have mentioned on here somewhere that we may need to experience short term failure to ensure long term progress. Here's hoping that the FAI start to look at a strategic plan rather than just hoping it will just happen

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    As Riff Raff said , I too am in 50s and I have never experienced such a disaster. This felt even worse than Henry's handball. I have mentioned on here somewhere that we may need to experience short term failure to ensure long term progress. Here's hoping that the FAI start to look at a strategic plan rather than just hoping it will just happen
    I'll go along with that all day (experiencing short term failure to ensure long term progress). I would start by saying that if there is any group or league in underage football who fails to comply with the national coaching directive (ie play short sided games for under age kids and get rid of 11 v 11) then they should cease to be a league sanctioned by the FAI. Case closed, there can be no more argument about that and from what I understand the Dublin Schoolboy Leagues are still doing it their own way?? If so, the FAI and all other clubs should cut ties with them. Also, I've said it on here numerous times before, but we need to employ youth team coaches from countries who actually have a pedigree of producing talent (South America, Africa).

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast