Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 322

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Denmark - Tue, 14 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 2nd Leg

  1. #21
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,973
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    492
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    646
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    It has been a long-term complaint about the Parken. Even Daddy Schmeichel brought it up on OTB that that it was like that back in 1993 when it opened and has never really been good.
    talking to the Danish lad beside me Saturday he was suggesting that football takes a back seat to concerts and other uses in the stadium as more money to be made from concerts. I see its operated by a private stock market listed company and not the Danish FA.

  2. #22
    Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,518
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    994
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    126
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    No way Wes Hoolahan starts tomorrow. He'll come on for the last thirty minutes or so. O'Neill's game plan will be to keep it at nil all and try to sneak a goal. If we go a goal down in the first half, he might bring Wes on for the second, but that's about it.

    Here's the team I'd go with.

    -------Randolph
    Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward
    ------Arter---Meyler
    Long------Brady----McClean
    -----------Murphy

    Here's what I think he'll go with:

    -------Randolph
    Christie-Clark-Duffy--Ward
    -----Arter----Meyler
    Brady----Hendrick---McClean
    ---------Murphy

  3. #23
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    679
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    449
    Thanked in
    308 Posts
    I think he’ll start Long instead of Murphy. Meyler in for O’Dowda.

  4. #24
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elm Valley, Blackpool
    Posts
    11,843
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,232
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,564
    Thanked in
    1,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    talking to the Danish lad beside me Saturday he was suggesting that football takes a back seat to concerts and other uses in the stadium as more money to be made from concerts. I see its operated by a private stock market listed company and not the Danish FA.
    Part of the deal for rebuilding it was that private firm took over the stadium. Concerts are how a lot of places make their cash now. But sport provides the impetus for building in the first place.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  5. #25
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    424
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    No way Wes Hoolahan starts tomorrow. He'll come on for the last thirty minutes or so. O'Neill's game plan will be to keep it at nil all and try to sneak a goal. If we go a goal down in the first half, he might bring Wes on for the second, but that's about it.

    Here's the team I'd go with.

    -------Randolph
    Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward
    ------Arter---Meyler
    Long------Brady----McClean
    -----------Murphy

    Here's what I think he'll go with:

    -------Randolph
    Christie-Clark-Duffy--Ward
    -----Arter----Meyler
    Brady----Hendrick---McClean
    ---------Murphy
    I would pick this

    -------Randolph-----------------
    -- Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward --
    Hendrick-Arter-Meyler-McClean
    ----------- Hoolahan -----------
    ----------- Murphy -------------

    But i agree with you about the team you think he will pick
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  6. #26
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    753
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    440
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    I really think Murphy offers us nothing against a side who will have more Of The ball than us. If we need a goal he can come on to partner long up front but he gives us no out ball and allows the Dane's push right up towards half way with no fear that he will ever be a great in behind

  7. #27
    First Team TrapAPony's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Timbuktu, Mali
    Posts
    1,549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    457
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    440
    Thanked in
    269 Posts
    I think it will be :

    .............Randolph

    Christie....Duffy...Clark....Ward

    .........Arter.....Meyler......

    McClean....Hendrick....Brady

    .....................Long
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

  8. #28
    Youth Team koneinc's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London/Dublin
    Posts
    117
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I think it will be :



    .............Randolph

    Christie....Duffy...Clark....Ward

    .........Arter.....Meyler......

    McClean....Hendrick....Brady

    .....................Long
    You might be spot on with that line up.

  9. #29
    Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,518
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    994
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    126
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Has O'Neill ever started McClean at right wing?

  10. #30
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,026
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,697
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,870
    Thanked in
    1,833 Posts
    I agree with Trap in terms of personnel as well.

  11. #31
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    572
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    What would the order for penalties be? Meyler has volunteered to start things if need be.

  12. #32
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    788
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    181
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I think he will go with
    Randolph

    Christie....Duffy...Clark....Ward

    ......... Arter.....Meyler......

    Brady.... Hendrick....McClean

    .....................Murphy

    I would drop brady, put jeff outwide and have Wes at 10, i would play Hogan at 9 ( i know the Hogan thing is outrageously risky for a debut, but murph has no pace to close down the space and Shane Long looked with someone with depression when he came on on saturday)

  13. #33
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Top Corner
    Posts
    19
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think he will go with
    Randolph
    Christie Duffy Clark Ward
    Hendrick Meyler Arter
    Brady McClean
    Long

    I would like to see

    Randolph
    Christie Duffy Clark Ward
    Meyler
    Hendrick Arter
    Hoolahan
    Long McClean

  14. #34
    First Team
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,078
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    262
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    I wonder how fit is Hendrick at the moment ?

  15. #35
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,360
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,563
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,496
    Thanked in
    1,701 Posts
    I think it would be a cautious over kill to hold Wes in reserve for a sub appearance late on in order to retrieve a game which is drifting away or one which might still be in the balance.
    This is a very different game, one to aim to be the first to score, not an occasion to concede home advantage and look for a punt late on against a capable team.

    Here's a reassuring stat with at least a 5 second lifeline, there has never been more than 2 teams from Scandinavia at a WC finals.

  16. #36
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    424
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I would drop brady, put jeff outwide and have Wes at 10, i would play Hogan at 9 ( i know the Hogan thing is outrageously risky for a debut, but murph has no pace to close down the space and Shane Long looked with someone with depression when he came on on saturday)
    That's a decent shout actually. I like that idea
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  17. #37
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,672
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,311
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,038
    Thanked in
    1,778 Posts
    Randolph

    Christie Duffy Clark Ward

    O'Dowda Meyler Arter McClean

    Hoolahan

    Long



    That'll do pig.

  18. #38
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    424
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I've changed my mind on Wes in the last hour. It was reading this again that did it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    O'Neill will definitely see merit in it I think. And you make a good point about the Plan B. It was a bit depressing against Serbia, a goal down and a man up but Hoolahan already called ashore and nothing on the bench to make the desired impact.
    For this reason i think Hoolahan should be on the bench. If he only has an hour in him better to have him on the field at the business end of the proceedings.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #39
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,026
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,697
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,870
    Thanked in
    1,833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think it would be a cautious over kill to hold Wes in reserve for a sub appearance late on in order to retrieve a game which is drifting away or one which might still be in the balance.
    This is a very different game, one to aim to be the first to score, not an occasion to concede home advantage and look for a punt late on against a capable team.

    Here's a reassuring stat with at least a 5 second lifeline, there has never been more than 2 teams from Scandinavia at a WC finals.
    That's fair about Hoolahan alright, plenty to consider I think. I won't be up in arms either way but would be worried about our capacity to change things if needed.

    A bit of caution in response to your reassuring stat. I'm sure I read in the last few WC playoffs (UEFA), that it's always been one non-seed to go through. Damn those Swedes tonight taking our spot!

  21. #40
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    679
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    449
    Thanked in
    308 Posts
    I don’t really get this about Hoolahan. He never looks fatigued to me. And it’s not as if he’s a box to box player anyway.
    Duffer and McAteer constantly looked b@llixed while playing but Hoolahan rarely seems to break sweat.

  22. Thanks From:


Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 397
    Last Post: 05/04/2018, 4:36 PM
  2. Replies: 392
    Last Post: 10/11/2017, 2:51 PM
  3. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 30/10/2017, 4:44 PM
  4. Replies: 268
    Last Post: 15/10/2017, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •