Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 11 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 1st Leg

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Outside Eriksen, I don't think anyone's going to miss Denmark at the World Cup either. There seems to be a general perception among Danish football folk that they play good footballl, a kind of arrogance not shared by the superior, in football terms, Swedes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    You're not wrong Charlie. Supposedly they are not practising for a penalty shootout. If true, not exactly intelligent.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Outside Eriksen, I don't think anyone's going to miss Denmark at the World Cup either. There seems to be a general perception among Danish football folk that they play good footballl, a kind of arrogance not shared by the superior, in football terms, Swedes.
    Isn't that the way with most of the Continental European teams, I remember bilic saying similar before the Croatia game granted they beat us well but that tournament seemed like a write off before a ball was kicked. Bih said something similar too. Always the same.

Scandanavians especially are a little over arrogant, unfounded arrogance
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    You're not wrong Charlie. Supposedly they are not practising for a penalty shootout. If true, not exactly intelligent.
    I'm sure they have. As much as he has said that, I am sure they have.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    And Sweden are just a poor man's Iceland.
    Last edited by geysir; 14/11/2017 at 12:32 PM.

6. Thanks From:

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ahhhh.. you talk a lot about danish arrogance, but to be fair I've ready my share of Irish media the past week.
    and outside Eriksen, none of your reporters or players have any idea or wants to have any idea who the others are.

Nicolai Jørgensen our winger/attacker, scored 21 goals last year and became topscorer and player of the year in Holland in his first season outside Denmark.
    Supposedly half the Clubs in Europe are trying to sign him.

Simon Kjaer our captain and defender has been a profile in Wolfsburg, Fenerbache and now Sevilla.

Thomas Delaney was made captain in Werder Bremen six months after signing with the club
    also scored a hattrick against Romania and scored against Poland a month ago in the qualifier.

Our usual lineup consists of players from
    Chelsea, Tottenham, Real Betis, Leicster, Sevilla, Atalanta, Feyernord, Udinese and Celta Vigo

so to me it seems a Little arrogant to only talk about Eriksen.

but thats just my thought.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Pretty much all the pre-match coverage was about a) Eriksen and b) the prospect of Kjaer and Jorgensen missing out. There was plenty written about Delaney too.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P3nnyw1se View Post
    Ahhhh.. you talk a lot about danish arrogance, but to be fair I've ready my share of Irish media the past week.
    and outside Eriksen, none of your reporters or players have any idea or wants to have any idea who the others are.

Nicolai Jørgensen our winger/attacker, scored 21 goals last year and became topscorer and player of the year in Holland in his first season outside Denmark.
    Supposedly half the Clubs in Europe are trying to sign him.

Simon Kjaer our captain and defender has been a profile in Wolfsburg, Fenerbache and now Sevilla.

Thomas Delaney was made captain in Werder Bremen six months after signing with the club
    also scored a hattrick against Romania and scored against Poland a month ago in the qualifier.

Our usual lineup consists of players from
    Chelsea, Tottenham, Real Betis, Leicster, Sevilla, Atalanta, Feyernord, Udinese and Celta Vigo

so to me it seems a Little arrogant to only talk about Eriksen.

but thats just my thought.
    Partisan football fans in unbalanced analysis shocker.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    PennyWise you missed out the 2 lads at Brentford. But you added Chelsea, who is funnily enough being kept out by Brentford lad. BUt we get the point. Your media keeps saying along with the fans and players that they don't know the Irish players

Bar Totenham(cos Chelsea not really included) the other teams are about the same level as the players who play for Ireland. And nowhere in the media have we said we are better than Denmark.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    And Sweden are just a poor man's Iceland.
    Isn't that Aldi?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont see how you rate your players the same level, I'm sorry but transfermarkt, fifa, world rankings, etc. etc. etc. etc. don't really share that opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    How did all the real fans with Danish tickets get on?
    The stewards at the D3 entrance were being very stringent. D3 was the home section closest to the away sections of D1 and D2. The D3 queue moved ridiculously slowly as the stewards seemed to be asking questions in Danish to everyone attempting to get in, even if you were wearing Danish or neutral colours. If you couldn't/didn't answer in Danish, they'd simply wave you aside.

My brother and myself had arrived at the ground in what we thought would be plenty of time and joined the back of the D3 queue at 8:15PM - half an hour from kick-off - but we were still outside the ground an hour later. There were still hundreds of people in the queue in front of us when the stadium fireworks went off, presumably as the teams were coming out. I didn't hear the anthems at all.

During the entire time I was queuing, I witnessed dozens of Irish fans (some more obvious than others) being turned away and another fan I spoke to back in the city centre after the game who had also been turned away told me that there were about 250 Irish fans who'd been denied access along with him watching the game in a nearby pub. There was a lot of anger and frustration at the gate, which was understandable, with a bit of pushing and jostling then at one point, although that wasn't going to get anyone anywhere. Those denied entry were turned away because they couldn't speak Danish rather than because they were drunk or causing trouble. The tempers rose after people were refused entry.

Both myself and my brother had Irish colours concealed under a hoody and jacket and I was wearing a red and white Derry City scarf which I kept on show as an intended disguise. We got turned away on our first attempt by two younger stewards who looked to be in their early 20s and who clearly felt bad in having to turn people away, but they were obviously under orders. They'd asked, "Danske?", and we both replied, "Ja". They followed it up with something else so we just nodded, but I think they copped right away that we weren't Danish so they weren't for letting us through.

We remained calm, tried not to draw unwanted attention to ourselves whilst others started raising their voices and tried again with another steward immediately to the left, but it turned out he was the boss and he sternly told us to get out of his sight without a hint of sympathy. He even pulled down the zips of my brother's coat and hoody and caught a glimpse of the green underneath before angrily waving us off. We moved aside again and further left where there was another steward who seemed a bit more open to accepting "reasons" as to why you mightn't be able to speak Danish but had a ticket for D3.

We overheard the two Irish lads in front claiming to be Scottish, which worked for them, bizarrely after they showed this steward an Allied Irish Bank credit card in desperation and told him it was their "Scottish bank". So we decided we'd pretend to be English and put on our best Cockney accents. We were up next and the guy seemed prepared to let us in if we could in some way prove we were English with some form of ID before the steward's boss caught on to the fact that people he had turned away were now about to be let in by this more sympathetic steward. I sensed this sympathetic steward was pretty much looking for an excuse to let people in, which was pretty sound of him, but he was clearly acting against his boss's wishes in doing so. Anyway, we had to move back again as the boss had caught on.

We started thinking of ways we could try and "prove" we were English. We both have UK driving licences and I have a Natwest bank card (from having lived in Manchester) but annoyingly we had left all the cards in our hotel as we simply didn't think they'd be of any use carrying them around. I actually had my driving licence and bank card in my pocket as we were about to leave the hotel in the afternoon and, just before walking out the door, we had a discussion about whether or not they'd be of use or might compromise us. In the end, as we thought that getting in was going to be reliant on passing ourselves off as Danish, we thought it would be best simply to have no ID on us, just in case stewards asked us to empty pockets or whatever and the cards showed we weren't Danish, so we left the cards in the room.

Naturally, we were now cursing our earlier decision when it turned out the cards could have come to our rescue after all. My brother started searching his phone for anything we could use as "evidence" to support our bullsh*t claim that we were English. He eventually came across a photo that he had of his UK national insurance card, so he showed this to one of the stewards who directed him to speak to a cop who was now standing over to the left near where the sympathetic steward happened to be. We appealed to the cop and, in fairness, he was cordial, but he said a photo wasn't necessarily proof that it was my brother's card, nor did it necessarily prove we were English. The sympathetic steward overheard our discussion with the cop and, completely unprompted, came over to us to say, "UK national insurance? Yeah, that's OK. Come this way."

Next thing, we found ourselves being led through the gate. Another of the stewards who'd turned us away saw us moving through and approached with more questions in Danish but the steward who'd directed us in spoke back on our behalf and mentioned something about UK national insurance. Thankfully, this did the trick, so we were now through and soon had our tickets scanned. By the time we made it up the stairs and into the stand, 31 minutes of the first half had passed but we were simply relieved to have gotten in at all.

I positioned myself as close to the away section as I could manage and loudly joined in with whatever chanting was coming from there once I saw that other Ireland fans in D3 were doing the same without any problem from nearby stewards. I never felt under threat of being kicked out once I was in the stand and even had green on show for most of the second half once I felt more confident. I didn't see anyone else being kicked out either once they were inside.

Just on the atmosphere generally, I thought it was really poor. There wasn't a huge deal of noise or chanting coming from the away section throughout the game. The loudest noise was actually after the final whistle. The players probably could have done with that volume during the game.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    ^^^^^

Trying to get into the match sounds more interesting and exciting than any football Ireland plays .

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    ^^^^^

Trying to get into the match sounds more interesting and exciting than any football Ireland plays .
    In a sense, maybe we were unlucky to have gotten in!

We had another group of Irish supporters behind us in the queue who we initially thought were Danish as they were very inconspicuous, had kept their true identity well under wraps and had been practicing Danish phrases. When we realised they were Irish, we had a laugh about our respective efforts to pass ourselves off as Danish and had visions of Danes dressed up in green trying to do the same for the return leg in Dublin on Tuesday night, only for those Danes to shoot themselves in the foot by learning phrases and talking to the Lansdowne Road stewards as Gaeilge.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    In a sense, maybe we were unlucky to have gotten in!

We had another group of Irish supporters behind us in the queue who we initially thought were Danish as they were very inconspicuous, had kept their true identity well under wraps and had been practicing Danish phrases. When we realised they were Irish, we had a laugh about our respective efforts to pass ourselves off as Danish and had visions of Danes dressed up in green trying to do the same for the return leg in Dublin on Tuesday night, only for those Danes to shoot themselves in the foot by learning phrases and talking to the Lansdowne Road stewards as Gaeilge.
    Ha, from what I heard from the Danish fans on Tuesday they could do far better English accents to pass off as Brits than any of us.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A comically ingenious effort by two disguised Ireland fans to get into the home section of the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen: https://www.facebook.com/Independent...location=group

They dressed up in Danish hats and scarves and wore red and white face-paint. When they were questioned by the stewards who realised they weren't Danish, they pretended they were members of the presumably non-existent "Martin Laursen (Aston Villa) Fan Club" from Birmingham and had even printed out documentation with a Villa letterhead on it to say that they had won their match tickets in a club competition.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    That was a good scam! Maybe they didn't believe them but let them in because of the sheer audacity of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts

Bumped and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920