Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 11 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 1st Leg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It is a poignant article.

One incident though is part of a (harmless) myth.
    "They (NI) qualified ahead of Italy and Portugal, Blanchflower and Jimmy McIlroy producing the “Doherty penalty” against the Portuguese. The referee was so baffled he disallowed it."

I'd say the ref spotted the obvious incursion into the penalty area by one of them, therefore he disallowed the goal.
    Yep, ref looking straight at him running straight into the box.

Attached Images Attached Images
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That being said it's too early in the morning to see Billy Bingham's head.

---

17/11/1993... Unforgettable... despite what the Grauniad says:

Quote Originally Posted by The Grauniad
    The forgotten story of … 17 November 1993

Modern football is a dispiriting compromise of safety nets and second chances: the big teams are protected by seeding, play-offs, larger tournaments and consolation prizes like the Europa League (even if that is often greeted with an enthusiasm previously reserved for Bullseye contestants who were eyeing the speedboat and ended up with just their Bus Fare Home). The delicious cut-throat element of football has all but gone. For the big international sides, qualification for major tournaments has become such a formality that even Steve McClaren almost managed it.

This was not always the case. A prime example is the qualification campaign for USA 94, the last before Uefa introduced play-offs. The final night of qualifying fixtures, 17 November 1993, was a sensory overload of authentic drama that included death, ‘murder’, robbery, illegal aliens – and Jack Charlton almost chinning Tony Cascarino. It was a night that defined the lives of Paul Bodin, Davide Gualtieri, Alan McLoughlin, David Ginola, Emil Kostadinov and Santiago Cañizares. It also sparked one of football’s most enduring feuds...
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-november-1993
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 06/11/2017 at 10:46 AM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Access to the home section surely won't be dependent on producing ID. There are bound to be thousands of Danes who won't have bothered bringing ID as there was no general stipulation, as far as I know, unless it's compulsory by law in Denmark to carry ID or something...
    Maybe you wont need an ID, maybe they just need rulers and measurements, a la the Nazi way of doing things
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    As long as they don't roll out the notorious Paddyometer (96.5% success rate) I think Danny should be able to dodge any of their security measures.
    Last edited by geysir; 06/11/2017 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Maybe you wont need an ID, maybe they just need rulers and measurements, a la the Nazi way of doing things
    That would be more valid if we were playing the IFA representative team.

Speaking of OWC...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It is a poignant article.

One incident though is part of a (harmless) myth.
    "They (NI) qualified ahead of Italy and Portugal, Blanchflower and Jimmy McIlroy producing the “Doherty penalty” against the Portuguese. The referee was so baffled he disallowed it."

I'd say the ref spotted the obvious incursion into the penalty area by one of them, therefore he disallowed the goal.

I think you're spot on. The ref appears to blow up for the infringement and even points in the direction of McIlroy pretty much as soon as the kick is taken and long before the ball enters the net, by which time the keeper didn't even bother trying to save it because the whole thing had been rightly called to a halt.

I bit of wishful denial and romanticised recall going on, I suspect. The fanciful notion that a baffled and backward idiot of a ref incorrectly denied you a legit goal, due to how imaginative, revolutionary and unprecedented your technique was, is probably a lot easier to reconcile in the eager and impassioned mind than admitting that you, in fact, were the ones who f*cked it up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That's a cruel and savage indictment Danny, I was much more diplomatic out of respect for the great Danny Blanchflower

I wouldn't mind a repeat of this 1993 nightmare for Denmark

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I see MON has cut David McGoldrick from the squad, I have to say I don't get that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I see MON has cut David McGoldrick from the squad, I have to say I don't get that.
    I get it. I don't think he has ever impressed for us.

revised squad..

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot, Keiren Westwood, Colin Doyle

Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Paul McShane, Shane Duffy, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea, Kevin Long, Stephen Ward

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Harry Arter, Eunan O'Kane, Wes Hoolahan, Callum O'Dowda, James McClean

Forwards: Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Scott Hogan, Aiden O'Brien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's a cruel and savage indictment Danny, I was much more diplomatic out of respect for the great Danny Blanchflower
    Ha, actually my assessment does sound a tad harsh on second reading. The tactic was clever, no doubt. Blanchflower was admittedly way ahead of my time too, but if it's any consolation to his memory, I'm pinning full blame for the c*ck-up on the restless and over-eager McIlroy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post

revised squad..

Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Paul McShane, Shane Duffy, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea, Kevin Long, Stephen Ward

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Harry Arter, Eunan O'Kane, Wes Hoolahan, Callum O'Dowda, James McClean

That's not strictly true, he was excellent in a friendly versus the USA. but my main point is we are lack strikers and to go for Aiden O'Brien ahead of him is unusual

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    No James McCarthy either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

revised squad..

If McGoldrick was omitted because he hasn't proven himself yet - although I don't exactly think he's been bad and he even did well against the USA - why has Scott Hogan been favoured? Or O'Brien, for that matter? Nothing against the latter two, but they have no senior international track records at all and McGoldrick has scored quite a few more goals than both this season. McGoldrick has seven (five of those in the league and two in the EFL Cup), Hogan has three (all in the EFL Cup), whilst O'Brien has two (both in the league), so McGoldrick actually has more goals this season than the other two combined. It's not as if Shane Long is in great form either.

Richard Keogh ruled out as well, which leaves us with O'Shea and McShane for back-up in central defence. Please God, no injuries for Duffy or Clark.

And Matt Doherty makes a final cut, at last.

Edit: Actually, I totally forgot about Kevin Long as back-up in central defence. That eases the concern considerably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    No James McCarthy either.
    Heh, is that sarcasm? I don't think he was ever a realistic shout on account of his latest setback.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    If McGoldrick was omitted because he hasn't proven himself yet - although I don't exactly think he's been bad and he even did well against the USA - why has Scott Hogan been favoured? Or O'Brien, for that matter? Nothing against the latter two, but they have no senior international track records at all and McGoldrick has scored quite a few more goals than both this season. McGoldrick has seven (five of those in the league and two in the EFL Cup), Hogan has three (all in the EFL Cup), whilst O'Brien has two (both in the league), so McGoldrick actually has more goals this season than the other two combined. It's not as if Shane Long is in great form either.

Richard Keogh ruled out as well, which leaves us with O'Shea and McShane for back-up in central defence. Please God, no injuries for Duffy or Clark.

I would say Kevin Long is ahead of O'Shea and Mcshane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just on the possible blocking by the DBU of home section tickets suspected to be in the hands of Irish fans, a poster on YBIG said that someone he knows who is based in Denmark and who received the DBU's warning email just wrote back to them in Danish and provided a Danish name and number. The block was lifted as a result with no further action or investigation. No mention of requiring ID or anything like that either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I would say Kevin Long is ahead of O'Shea and Mcshane
    Aye, I edited my post accordingly. He'd totally slipped my mind. That's not a slight on his ability. I'm a fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

I bit of wishful denial and romanticised recall going on, I suspect. The fanciful notion that a baffled and backward idiot of a ref incorrectly denied you a legit goal, due to how imaginative, revolutionary and unprecedented your technique was, is probably a lot easier to reconcile in the eager and impassioned mind than admitting that you, in fact, were the ones who f*cked it up.
    In fairness, that's culturally ingrained in some of those interviewed. Comes naturally I suppose.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Heh, is that sarcasm? I don't think he was ever a realistic shout on account of his latest setback.
    He was (in the words of Inspector Jacques Clouseau) neither ruled in, nor ruled out.
    Now he's officially ruled out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts

revised squad..

Edit: Actually, I totally forgot about Kevin Long as back-up in central defence. That eases the concern considerably.
    I was going to comment on McGoldrick's omission but I think that covers it, for the most part.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast