Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Paddy McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Anyone see his goal yesterday? It was pretty special, imo, a Bergkamp v Argentina style effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Anyone see his goal yesterday? It was pretty special, imo, a Bergkamp v Argentina style effort.
    Showed some nice control but didn't beat a man like Bergkamp did. Then again McCarthy's never touched the ground.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I've only seen extra time, but McCarthy's having a great game at the back for Palace at Old Trafford tonight by the sounds of things. Palace under immense pressure and have eleven men behind the ball with a few minutes to go but he's dealt with everything United have thrown at him in extra time and made a vital tackle to keep Palace in the lead. Maybe worth another look in a 'B' international?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Gave away the penalty for Man Utd's goal. I do agree that Ireland should have a ''B'' match though
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    He's been playing that way all season apparently. He gave away a silly penalty, but he put in a real Kevin Moran shift tonight. I'd have more confidence in him than McShane but O'Dea has that reserve CB spot for himself and based on Ireland performances that's hard to argue with. O'Shea & Kelly are also bcak up CB options in Trap's eyes.

I do like McCarthy's no-nonsense defending though and think he's unlucky not to have been capped. He was prone to yellow cards early in his career but had largely cut this out, but when he should have been considered for a spot (under Stan) the press kept going on about his discipline. I think that was what put paid to his chances - that and youngirish's opinions of him (if memory serves me well)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Hadn't been aware he gave away the penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Whenever I've seen him play it's really proper old-school no-nonsense stuff. Impressive commitment levels, can see why he's captaining the side.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Hadn't been aware he gave away the penalty.
    Giving away a penalty is something that happens to the best of players. One of the first names on Ireland's team sheet is the all-time Premier League own-goal record holder. He has probably conceded his fair share of penalties too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    Giving away a penalty is something that happens to the best of players. One of the first names on Ireland's team sheet is the all-time Premier League own-goal record holder. He has probably conceded his fair share of penalties too.
    No disagreements there. I think Jamie Carragher is up there too. Maybe such records are a sign of tenacity and commitment; both virtues in my world of football.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I remember watching a lot of him in his early days at Leicester, and he had moments of indicipline or poor play/decisions which would undo an otherwise impressive performance, this blighted him, but he has (I think) only got two bookings this season, and is part of a much improved side under Freedman, he was next to Tunchev at the back till recently, a very good player who has had awful injury trouble, and was loaned to Palace from Leicester, he is presently back at Leicester, so we will see how McCarthy and Palace fair without him, I think they will miss Tunchev, and they have dropped in the league since not having him available.

All heart, a leader and captain where ever he has been, a dodgy shoulder, and a guy who has found his level, you could argue, again the other night, he let go of one Man U players shirt/arm (Diouf?) to go across and tug the other players shirt to give away the pen, and very nearly did it again later to Macheda. Here

I remember once a poster on a Leicester board saying it always made him smile how the staduim would rise to applaud another last ditch tackle or goal line clearence from McCarthy, never realising it was another balls up by him in the lead up which would invariably have given rise to the need for it.

O'Dea, McShane & Co dont give the opposition as much joy as he does, its marginal, but I think Irish managers have gotten it right.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I remember once a poster on a Leicester board saying it always made him smile how the staduim would rise to applaud another last ditch tackle or goal line clearence from McCarthy, never realising it was another balls up by him in the lead up which would invariably have given rise to the need for it.

O'Dea, McShane & Co dont give the opposition as much joy as he does, its marginal, but I think Irish managers have gotten it right.
    He hasn't played for Leicester for four years. He is still a last-ditch defender but he is rarely the person who makes the balls-ups in the first place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Just scored an own goal from a Paul Green cross
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Could be a useful squad defender in Poland. Hopefully will make the Carling cup final to give him some exposure
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Palace have kept the most clean sheets in the Championship this season with 11 and have only conceded 24 goals in which Paddy has been an ever present and captain. I think that he more than deserves his chance with Ireland.
    Last edited by eagleforlife; 13/01/2012 at 7:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I'm never against us having a look at a player, but he always worried me a bit in terms of rash tackling. I remember him getting a fair amount of cards early in his career, not sure if anything has changed in that regard but the stats you present eagle are impressive.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When he first joined Palace he was often making rash tackles and picking u bookings and occassionally getting sent off. This season though he seems to have left that all behind him and he has been immense. He has only picked up two yellows so far.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I've always liked McCarthy but I think O'Dea is deservedly the number 3 / 4 centre-back (Dunne, Sledge, O'Shea, O'Dea, Kelly as back up). Also, Croatia, Spain & Italy will be a step higher than anything he has played before. All of the above are seasoned internationals and deservingly ahead of him.

If McShane can have 20 caps, so too can McCarthy have had. Great to see him do well and he'd have had a chance in bygone days playing at his present standard (certainly Jack through to Stan era), but the point I was making on another thread holds - we have lots of players playing at quite a high standard now, just none playing at elite standard - the Champs League teams.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    I hav'nt seen a lot of Paddy but I believe he was prone to the odd rash challenge and therefore bookings and sending offs. I would like to know if he a bit short of pace/ or reasonably fast because it does seem a bit harsh that Paul McShane has acrued (?) a nice number of caps and Paddy few if any ?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Saw Paddy on Saturday;he was steady enough. Had a pretty solid game.
    At least as good as Kilbane, say. And O'Dea for that matter, on Saturday's evidence.

Unlike McShane who was struggling to match those around him, in Div.2 ,FFS.
    Wouldn't fault his effort, but ability-wise, not great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Wouldn't fault his effort, but ability-wise, not great.
    I agree. Especially regarding shooting outside the box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGElFKpzFlE
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

21. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast