Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy McCarthy

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Good to see measured debate prevailing.

McCarthy is rough around the edges but I think he's got what it takes to make it at a higher level if he keeps learning. A move to a better level will be required before long if he's to achieve this.

I think we're reasonably well covered at CB. Dunne is still young enough, McShane has taken quite well to international football, young O'Dea is showing promise, O'Shea played very well at CB against Czech Republic except for one lapse which if Koller hadn't finished expertly or Henderson had saved (which he should have) would be forgotten about. Dunne's howler to let in Bellamy was far worse than any of O'Shea's errors.

There's an abundance of young talent in all positions, except central midfield and even there with Garvan and O'Brien and the two Reids there's some hope on the horizon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There's an abundance of young talent in all positions, except central midfield and even there with Garvan and O'Brien and the two Reids there's some hope on the horizon.
    Ireland and young McCann (he can play central or left midfield) from Burnley also look promising. Hopefully Burnley avoid the drop as they've a number of Irish players. People forget that McCann won young player of he year at Burnley last season ahead of Kyle Lafferty who is a regular starter for Northern Ireland and is apparently very highly rated. I rate McCann as a better prospect myself but it would be disastrous for him if Burnley get relegated.
    Last edited by youngirish; 03/04/2007 at 9:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Ireland and young McCann (he can play central or left midfield) from Burnley also look promising. Hopefully Burnley avoid the drop as they've a number of Irish players. People forget that McCann won young player of he year at Burnley last season ahead of Kyle Lafferty who is a regular starter for Northern Ireland and is apparently very highly rated. I rate McCann as a better prospect myself but it would be disastrous for him if Burnley get relegated.

Haven't seen any of McCann myself...is he a big lad? or is he another typical Irish lightweight shortarse?
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Just a quick point, I saw in the paper yeserday the disiplinary tale for the Chamionship. Jonathon Douglas was number three. Amzing that Stan can use disiplinary reasons not to call up McCarthy in the past yet he has no problem with Douglas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    He's the most booked player according to this: http://www.soccerbase.com/div_summary.sd?compid=2
    Also, McPhail and Breen tie for most sendings off with 2 apiece
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Has Stan ever said that discipline was the reason? I know the tabloids picked up on it and when he was still a journalist Gerry McDermott (or was it Hyland?) did a full piece on McCarthy's discipline. It's a shame these guys didn't actually pick up on the fact that at the time of writing he had gone through a long period with few yellows and no reds. The article made me cringe, as did Stan's comments about McCarthy vs Doherty.

McCarthy was a lynchpin of the U21s and mucked in with a few crucial headed goals from set pieces for Givens. Like McShane, I'd bet he wouldn't tolerate any prima donna-ism or complacency in the squad.

I'm not giving up on McCarthy yet, but I do maintain that he needs to polish up his game. Not unlike Dunne, I feel that he has an error in him in most games, but I'm happy to listen to Crafty's first hand reports, one of the best frequent updates on this site in my opinion.

Good call on Chris McCann.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Haven't seen any of McCann myself...is he a big lad? or is he another typical Irish lightweight shortarse?
    He's a big six foot odd ginger. Looks a bit light but not so much so that you'd say he's weak. He's also played in central defence for Burnley so he must be fairly strong. He's only 19 and he looks decent so at present he's a good prospect. He also bangs in a few goals which is always a good sign for a midfielder.

http://www.burnley.vitalfootball.co....le.asp?a=56405
    Last edited by youngirish; 03/04/2007 at 9:55 AM.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Has Stan ever said that discipline was the reason?
    Yeah. http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=14471
    McCarthy's international record is far from impressive either. In the qualifying campaign for the 2006 European U21 Championship McCarthy picked up three yellow cards in four games and missed the away game against Israel because of suspension.

It's a record not even a desperate Staunton is prepared to gamble on as he explained yesterday when he excluded McCarthy from the 24-man squad for next week's friendly international against Holland.

"Well that's part of it. You have to look at them sort of things. As we know from the World Cup, there are plenty of players out there that can manipulate the system," said Staunton.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    It was probably put to Stan by McDermott who had just picked up on what at the time was a partially out of date statistic! If discipline & character is so essential how come St. Ledger made the bench in Germany?

I'd prefer if Stan just said that he didn't fancy him or that he's got better options. Maybe he has said this and I've missed it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was probably put to Stan by McDermott who had just picked up on what at the time was a partially out of date statistic! If discipline & character is so essential how come St. Ledger made the bench in Germany?

I'd prefer if Stan just said that he didn't fancy him or that he's got better options. Maybe he has said this and I've missed it.
    There was an article on St. Ledger in the Guardian this morning, one of those pen pics on up and coming players. He gets a decent enough write up even if it is by Claridge.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    He isn't even a regular starter for Leicester anymore who are sh*t.Did I mention he gets booked every match and sent off every second match?
    every bit of this spewed rubbish is factually incorrect.He has started when fit every game for almost 2 seasons bar a small handfull, and as for your take on his discipline, well......

Yeah that was way off the mark??????????????
    yep, it was, when i took the time to re-read your initial reactive illinformed muck,it was in fact miles off. (really dont know why i or anyone would bother though TBH).

despite watching him play each week, ive never said one way or the other wheather i feel he should be in our squads or not, and i dont generally offer opinions on him either, i simply say what ive seen each time. so to suggest im about to wheel out a bunch of leicester mates to back me up is bordering on pathetic levels of childish paranoia.

for what its worth, id go along with Stutt, he needs to improve, and soon, and with leicester now having money to spend under Mandaric, he is about to be tested from all sides, and we will know a lot more about Paddy McCarthy in a year from now. In his defence, he is captain of one of the worst sides in his clubs history, and a young captain at that, not an easy position. He has done OK.

Had he been afforded the oppertunity to play next to an experienced CB partner and focus solely on his own game since arriving here, we may have seen more development and with hindsight being made captain of this bunch may not have been the best thing for him, but the club was skint and most experienced players were flogged off, so again in this respect , he has done OK, but i reiterate, improvement needed quickly. An interesting season ahead for him i reckon.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 03/04/2007 at 3:10 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

paddy mccarthy

just signed for charlton for £650,000 according to talksport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Good move, Charlton have a good manager and seem to be buying quite a few top Championship players (e.g. Iwelumo)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    On another website i was on the Leicester fans were delighted about getting rid of him and actually getting money from him. They claimed he was too slow and always giving away needless fouls

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Anyone know what happened to Alan Sheehan who for a while looked a great prospect? Perhaps an opportunity for him to step up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Anyone know what happened to Alan Sheehan who for a while looked a great prospect? Perhaps an opportunity for him to step up.
    he was on loan at Mansfield earlier in the season: http://www.soccerbase.com/players_de...playerid=41226

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    mcarthy is a solid defender and should be given his chance, who would of thought of mcshane as an option til the czech match and look at hm now

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's funny reading the posts here slating McCarthy and saying he's rubbish as a Palace fan as he's only been here 6 months and people are already calling him a Palace legend. He's been excellent defensively and weighed in with a few goals. The only slight criticism I would have of him is that he's not that fast but nor is he slow I'm just nitpicking really. Just over a week ago he dislocated his shoulder for the second time this season but still played through the pain barrier the following week to score a goal. He also broke his name during that match and still continued. The guy is immense and deserves a chance to see what he can do at international level.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/s..._man_McCarthy/

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=179018

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paddy McCarthy

Has been called up to train with the squad:

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/t...adline=Ireland

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast