Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2018 UEFA European Under-17 Championship

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    As it's a foul, it would be a direct free-kick, so kicking it directly into your own goal still stands as a goal. However, if the infringement had been an offside, it would have been an indirect free-kick and it wouldn't count as you can't score directly from an indirect free-kick - I think the restart would be a corner to the attacking team but I'm not certain on that. Am I right?
    I'm assuming Mark meant to say inside the box. Free kicks like goal kicks must leave the 18 yard area.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    1) I think the general rule is direct free - own goal; indirect free - corner. I would imagine a foul like this to be direct, so it should be a goal. Indirect is for obstruction and offside. Maybe diving too; I'm not sure.
    2) I'm not a professional footballer. I don't need to know the rules. But if the ref makes a call on that decision that I don't understand, I'll try to find out why the call was made rather than blindly lambast him.
    3) To an extent, the player doesn't need to know the rule there. There is a safety net in that when passing to the keeper, you place the pass outside the post just in case.
    4) If when giving the free kick, the ref tells the player that there is a new rule that if he puts the ball into his own net, it's a goal, then the player has no excuse whatsoever for complaining afterwards he didn't know the rules.
    5) Anyone who said the goal was given because offside is an indirect free kick and can't be scored from would be wilfully missing the entire point of the relevant rule.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    If your outside the box and you've received the ball. Own goal.
    Wrong answer

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    1) I think the general rule is direct free - own goal; indirect free - corner. I would imagine a foul like this to be direct, so it should be a goal. Indirect is for obstruction and offside. Maybe diving too; I'm not sure.
    2) I'm not a professional footballer. I don't need to know the rules. But if the ref makes a call on that decision that I don't understand, I'll try to find out why the call was made rather than blindly lambast him.
    3) To an extent, the player doesn't need to know the rule there. There is a safety net in that when passing to the keeper, you place the pass outside the post just in case.
    4) If when giving the free kick, the ref tells the player that there is a new rule that if he puts the ball into his own net, it's a goal, then the player has no excuse whatsoever for complaining afterwards he didn't know the rules.
    5) Anyone who said the goal was given because offside is an indirect free kick and can't be scored from would be wilfully missing the entire point of the relevant rule.
    The correct answer is a corner in both cases (indirect and direct free kick).
    The larger point is that we all have been playing, watching, reffing, talking about the game for most of our lives and we still don't know a basic rule like this (all of us. not singling you out Stu).
    I disagree with the premise that we don't have to know the rules. We don't 'have' to, but we should - having invested so much of our time and interest in the game.
    It does my head in when I'm refereeing to have players ask me questions about rules.

In the larger scheme of things I think it would behoove FIFA to air commercials on each country's national TV station (and online) explaining the change in rules to the public - God knows they have the money to do it.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I'm not entirely sure what side you're arguing on here. You say the ref was inconsistent in the shootout, then say he wasn't. You say supporters have to know the rules, but then that they don't have to.

I also don't agree with this bit -

Quote Originally Posted by mark12345
    If it's part of the rules why are players and supporters just discovering this particular rule in a major tournament (albeit U17).
    We're not just discovering it; it's been mentioned a couple of times on thread that this was highlighted on foot.ie a year ago in another match.

FIFA don't need to take out ads explaining the rules to supporters; we have commentators and analysts for that reason. Except the RTÉ commentators were clueless, of course

The squad certainly shouldn't be learning from ads - they should know the rules, and I would imagine they have had workshops on new rule changes.

I don't think your complaints stack up. Though I agree with you that people in general don't really know the rules very well. (I won't claim to either, but when something happens that I don't understand, I'll try look for a reason why)

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Netherlands win the final on penos, their keeper saving 2 along with the ones he saved v Ireland and England.
    Impressively, Netherlands scored all 15 penalties they took in shootouts. (Corcorans save aside.....)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Netherlands win the final on penos, their keeper saving 2 along with the ones he saved v Ireland and England.
    Impressively, Netherlands scored all 15 penalties they took in shootouts. (Corcorans save aside.....)
    Is it just me Joe, or did you happen to notice the Dutch keeper moving off his line twice (for the first 2 Italian penalties)?
    I was careful to watch and could swear that his feet were off the line in both instances.
    I also paid close attention to the Italian lad. He kept his feet rooted to the line as far as I could see.
    No doubt the Dutch are a very good team and probably deserved to win the thing, but inconsistent refereeing played its part along the way.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    My interpretation is that the yellow card offence is causing them to miss the kick. If they don't miss, no offence.
    I read elsewhere that that seems to be the interpretation but I don't think it's how it should be. For instance, if the ref catches them before the kick is taken I think he's yellow carded?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I read elsewhere that that seems to be the interpretation but I don't think it's how it should be. For instance, if the ref catches them before the kick is taken I think he's yellow carded?
    If you think it is so, then must it be so?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    If you think it is so, then must it be so?
    Obviously not but I have my view on the rules as enforced as I'm sure you do. I know I have huge power on this message board but I don't think it's extended to FIFA yet, or certainly not since Gianni stopped returning my emails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    You need to persist with Gianni and eventually he will reply.
    On the other matter, it does appear to be the standard that refs do not give cards to sinning goalies when the penalty is converted. Perhaps there is an example to contradict that.

On Benno's general sentiment re the new ruling, I think this law will go the way of other such laws which are eventually relaxed, eg. the relaxing of the 6 second goalie thing and the kicking of the ball after the ref has blown the whistle. On the penalty at the English cup final, it was easy to observe that the goalie was off his line when the kick was taken but we don't know the refs take on it because the penalty was converted.
    i'd have the opinion the this euro finals tournament was used as a guinea pig re application of that rule and the refs are being observed as to their suitability for promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    This is all getting very off topic, can we get back to discussing the u17's, or the Championship itself?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Way too many games finishing in Penalty shootouts . Football is far too defensive . Not enough scoring , not enough attacking football , not enough happening on the field to keep people tuned in on TV any way .

The more professional sport gets , the more it seems that defensive techniques come to the fore . Its particularly hard to deal with in football as there is only one type of Score ; A Goal Obviously .

Any Ideas on how to make football more attacking with more scores .

I put this here after so many draws and therefore penalty shootouts .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    It was a 2-2 draw. Very exciting game with 2-3 great goals and plenty more chances. If it'd been a Senior game there'd have been another 30 mins to find a winner.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I see Ireland are hosts for the next finals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Parrott finishes as joint second top goalscorer, with three. Belgium's Yorbe Vertessen
    and Italy's Edoardo Vergani are the top scorers with four strikes

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Parrott looked so good against the Dutch. He may have natural talent etc but he hasn't been in England too long so Belvedere can be very proud at the skill he demonstrated against a technically-renowned footballing nation like the Dutch. Idah and Collins in the same bracket (as I said) and, to a lesser degree, McEntee, Knight and Ledwidge.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Way too many games finishing in Penalty shootouts . Football is far too defensive . Not enough scoring , not enough attacking football , not enough happening on the field to keep people tuned in on TV any way .

The more professional sport gets , the more it seems that defensive techniques come to the fore . Its particularly hard to deal with in football as there is only one type of Score ; A Goal Obviously .

Any Ideas on how to make football more attacking with more scores .

I put this here after so many draws and therefore penalty shootouts .
    You haven't seen the recent Champions League semi-finals then ?

That said the Dutch won it after three consecutive penalty shoot out wins, one over England who lost a penalty shoot out (that's news) which is an unusual way to win a tournament (i.e. win 3 all three games in the knock out stage on penalties).

FIFA has tried to introduce rules which help attacking football (i.e. the back pass rule and the level in offside) but other than rewarding shots on target from inside the penalty area (outside would be a farce), it's hard to avoid going to penalties which to be honest do lighten up the tedium of a 0-0.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 22/05/2018 at 4:11 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    A lot of sticklers that love their old rule book. The lad was only 16 ffs, and if the ref didnt give it no one would have complained.
    As I said, lets see how often this rule is used the WCup. Will be interesting. Lets wait and see.
    That peno in the Cork game reminded me!

Re the World Cup: A big fat ZERO! (Back at you: Pin Stu:"There is in theory no reason why this won't impact the World Cup")

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Probably not a big surprise, given his performance at the championships, but Troy Parrott has signed his first contract at Spurs, so well done to him and keep it up, lad: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...ct-with-spurs/

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast