Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2018 UEFA European Under-17 Championship

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    So you can infringe the law providing you don't save it.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Correct.
    In fairness that is daft .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Could I suggest some sort of bungee cord attached to each foot and to each adjacent post and perhaps to ameliorate this slight extra difficulty for the Goalkeeper the penalty spot be moved out an three extra yards ( a bit like a metre ) to 15 yards . .

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    I was at this game the other night, and it was farce lads. No one knew what was going on, all we could see was one very upset young kid out there, inconsolable he was, and for a long while too. However you argue the technicalities of it and if the ref was to the letter of the law correct etc, it just wasn't something that belonged in that game, that age group, in my opinion anyway and if it happened to an opponent, I honestly wouldn't want to see us win that way either. It reminded me of the line in the movie, if the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule ? And, yes, lets see if any high profile keeper gets pulled for this in the summer in Russia, I would doubt it.

The game itself, I was hoping for more to admire from us on the ground, ball retention wise after all I had heard about this side, but definitely a few lads out there who have a chance at the same time.

5. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Reading around, it sounds like their keeper got two warnings for doing the same thing, while ours got a yellow straight off - is that accurate?

Shades of 2009 to the extent that it probably wouldn't happen to Germany, Spain, England.... but it happens to the plucky losers who nobody expects to go through.

7. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    It appears so - because the rule states a yellow is only issued if the penalty is not scored

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Netherlands have advanced to the final, beating England....

6-5 on pens!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Netherlands have advanced to the final, beating England....

6-5 on pens!
    Any Shenanigans ?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well the penalty thing is very confusing, it is not clear to me what the rule are, the pdf posted does not seem to make
    clear what rule apply to the keeper.

IN fact bizarrely it seems to more concern about the keeper who is not even facing the kick, why anyone would give a **** were
    he stands is only something FIFA can explain.

Anyhow it seems our keeper start off behind the line, but rule he is suppose to be on it

The referee shall confirm the following requirements
    before the penalty kick is taken:

the goalkeeper is on the goal line between the goal
    posts and facing the kicker
    It is hard to see if he was off his line from the video, ie were his feet
    were.

Further to that the rules are unclear, FIFA rely on a picture were the keeper
    has both feet grounded over the line, from what I can see our keeper has
    one foot on the line.

So the rule are just not clear enough and the head of FIFA should be sent off (sacked and sued). The penalty kicks should be replayed.
    Total disgrace.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36911045.html

Ireland U17 goalkeeper Corcoran says red card decision was 'correct' in classy statement thanking fans for support
    Not sure I agree with him on that going by what I saw, but the video is not too clear.

On the bright side we scored against the Netherlands which is more that England could manage.

One thing which is clear is FIFA need to clarify their rules and they can't do it with pictures as no other situation is every going to be a copy of the picture down to the last pixel.

Ireland should withdraw from this summers world cup finals in protest.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 18/05/2018 at 3:05 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    All the laws about penalties could probably do with a review - it seems that keepers are effectively rooted to the spot until the kick is taken, while takers are expressly allowed to shuffle/feint in their run-up (up to a certain point).

Even though penalty-takers can get booked (as Son did against Rochdale for 'illegal feinting which constitutes unsporting behaviour), surely the intention behind the shuffle/feint is to get the keeper to move/commit in some way, and if you're successful, you get the equivalent of a free hit - if you score, great, if you miss it gets retaken.
    Last edited by osarusan; 18/05/2018 at 9:46 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It appears so - because the rule states a yellow is only issued if the penalty is not scored
    That's what I don't get. Surely foul play is foul play. You don't let off a player with a yellow card foul if the other team successfully plays advantage.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's what I don't get. Surely foul play is foul play. You don't let off a player with a yellow card foul if the other team successfully plays advantage.
    My interpretation is that the yellow card offence is causing them to miss the kick. If they don't miss, no offence.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The still shots comparing the Dutch keeper's position and Corcaran's are nonsensical. I'm not sure how anybody could look at the footage of both and think their movements were the same, or even similar. Like Corcaran himself, I think we need to take this one on the chin, even though I felt hard done by at the time without knowing what we do now.

I can't really get on board with this notion that making a sixteen year old cry, by making the right call, is lacking common sense either. We're talking about qualification for a European Championhship semi final here, not some local under-10's blitz. Who'd be a referee?!

Corcaran didn't get near the first two or three penalties. We were trailing in the shootout so I think he felt he needed to change tack to give himself a better chance, I certainly did anyway. Unfortunately in doing so he crossed the line of what is reasonably acceptable.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 19/05/2018 at 8:49 AM.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I was at this game the other night, and it was farce lads. No one knew what was going on, all we could see was one very upset young kid out there, inconsolable he was, and for a long while too. However you argue the technicalities of it and if the ref was to the letter of the law correct etc, it just wasn't something that belonged in that game, that age group, in my opinion anyway and if it happened to an opponent, I honestly wouldn't want to see us win that way either. It reminded me of the line in the movie, if the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule ? And, yes, lets see if any high profile keeper gets pulled for this in the summer in Russia, I would doubt it.

The game itself, I was hoping for more to admire from us on the ground, ball retention wise after all I had heard about this side, but definitely a few lads out there who have a chance at the same time.
    "Nobody knew what was going on"
    I am a referee and to be honest I don't know what's going on. We refs were called into a recertification class about six weeks ago, in anticipation of the new season, and I for one (and I'm 20 years at it) could not believe what I was hearing in terms of changes to the laws of the game. I knew people would be dumfounded like they were during this game. Taking penalties and controlling the taking of penalties will be a completely new and I would think, extremely frustrating experience for all involved

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Referee was nothing if not totally inconsistent in his application of the rules for the shootout. Corcoran appeared to have one foot on the Lin after viewing several replays. Whether that's legal or not I can't say. But the Dutch keeper, for an earlier kick, had both feet off the line and was off to the races

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Have you read any of the thread up to this point where it's pointed out that practically none of that is relevant?

You even criticise the referee while acknowledging you don't know what the rules are! Surely you realise that can't make any sense?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Have you read any of the thread up to this point where it's pointed out that practically none of that is relevant?

You even criticise the referee while acknowledging you don't know what the rules are! Surely you realise that can't make any sense?
    I'm saying it tongue in cheek. I do 'know' the rules but it's very new and I haven't had much chance to put it to use (and find myself explaining it to bemused teams before kick off).
    Too many rules thrown at referees and players (and fans) in such a short space of time isn't good.
    What also is not good (from a refs point of view) is the "well it's the rules of the game and if it's in the rules then you can't really complain" type of vibe.
    If it's part of the rules why are players and supporters just discovering this particular rule in a major tournament (albeit U17).
    FIFA need to put refs in a position to succeed and this is not the way to do it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    And while we're on the subject of rules, let me put the following scenario to you:

You are a center back. You are standing two yards outside your own penalty area when a team mate passes you the ball.
    An attacker comes in and buries you with an illegal tackle.
    The referee awards you a free kick.
    You put the ball on the floor and motion your team mates upfield as you prepare to kick the ball long.
    However your goalkeeper, standing behind you, persuades you to pass the ball to him.
    You pass the ball backwards to the keeper, he slips and falls and the ball goes into the net.

Without consulting the rule book - what is the outcome of that situation?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    If your outside the box and you've received the ball. Own goal.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    You are standing two yards outside your own penalty area when a team mate passes you the ball.
    Outside I think Joe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    And while we're on the subject of rules, let me put the following scenario to you:

You are a center back. You are standing two yards outside your own penalty area when a team mate passes you the ball.
    An attacker comes in and buries you with an illegal tackle.
    The referee awards you a free kick.
    You put the ball on the floor and motion your team mates upfield as you prepare to kick the ball long.
    However your goalkeeper, standing behind you, persuades you to pass the ball to him.
    You pass the ball backwards to the keeper, he slips and falls and the ball goes into the net.

Without consulting the rule book - what is the outcome of that situation?
    As it's a foul, it would be a direct free-kick, so kicking it directly into your own goal still stands as a goal. However, if the infringement had been an offside, it would have been an indirect free-kick and it wouldn't count as you can't score directly from an indirect free-kick - I think the restart would be a corner to the attacking team but I'm not certain on that. Am I right?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast