Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayo Junior Soccer

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Mayo Junior Soccer

Does anyone who knows much about the Mayo Super League have an opinion on how the league will go this year. It's hard to look outside Westport, Celtic and Erris for champions. Will Westport suffer later in the season because they've been training and playing in both the Connacht and FAI cup throughout the winter break. Do you think Snugboro have a chance of staying up? They've consistently played well in Cup competitions against Super League teams over the last 3 years. They've beaten Ballina Town, Ballyvary Blue Bombers, Erris United and lost in extra time to Westport United and Manulla.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Snugboro United's hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson
    . Do you think Snugboro have a chance of staying up? They've consistently played well in Cup competitions against Super League teams over the last 3 years. They've beaten Ballina Town, Ballyvary Blue Bombers, Erris United and lost in extra time to Westport United and Manulla.
    Ballyvary Blue Bombers? You must be having a laugh mate. I would not gauge beating Ballyvary Blue Bombers as a significant achievement. They were destroyed last year in the league. The other results are significant enough. However, the league is over eighteen games and the cup is on the day. Would be nice to see a small club like Snugboro stay up but unless Snugboro adds strength and depth to the squad, I'm afraid it would be a swift return to the Premier Division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pronane
    can you write like this rather Than Like This, Cos I Keep Thinking You Are Starting A New Sentence And Its Really Annoying.

westport are an average connaucht side. I doubt they are as good as mervue/castlebar celtic/castlerea celtic/ballinasloe town, so if carew have beaten any of those teams before they will more than likely beat them. Having said that wesport will have great beleif and determination going into this.
    You're obviously a Castlerea fan and Castlerea Celtic aren't exactly the glamourest side in Connacht. Certainly not with the Mervues, Galway Hibs, Abbey Utds and Salthill Devons of this world. Given that only one Roscommon side ever won the Connacht Cup (only last year), does not speak an awful lot for soccer in the county. I have to give credit though on Castlerea Celtic reaching the open draw in the F.A.I. Junior Cup last year and beating the defending champions of the Connacht Cup at the time, Castlebar Celtic on penalties.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Don't underestimate Westport. Proname suggested they don't have the pedigree of Castlebar Celtic, he couldn't be further from the truth. The most impressive aspect of this westport team is that 8 or 9 of them came throught the same underage teams. Players like Joe Lawless(only 20 years old but got voted into the Mayo League Team of the CENTURY, you can relate this to the quality of the player or the quality of the voting process, up to you) Dave Cameron, Dessie O'Malley, Gerry McLoughlin are all between 20 and 22 and make up the spine of the Team. They won the Mayo Super League last season and the Mayo Cup the Season before without seeming to try too hard. They have former Galway United players in Eoghan Gillen and Eoghen McHale(who has played every position in the side(F,LM,CM,LB,CB) but acclaimed rave reviews for his performance against Killester at CB. I believe he was a left winger for GU. Whereas Castlebar Celtic won the Connacht Cup 2 seasons ago always have the reputation of the "Manchester United" of Mayo soccer but never seem to deliver. Player for player they are nowhere near the quality of Westport. They seem to be building for the future. They played Glenview Stars last week and included teenagers like Ronan O'Boyle, Kieran Hopkins and Sean McHale. I agree that youth should be given the choice but I think Westport are a much better side. The youngest players in their side have played in 2 quater finals of the fai cup. Westport are by far the best side in Mayo, at least in the top 2 in connacht(still in the connacht cup) and hopefully will prove they are the best in Ireland.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Just gonna post the results on here every monday so I can keep track of them.
    Newsworthy of these results(barely newsworthy mind)
    Sleeping Giants Ballyglass beaten at home by Fahy who were only formed 5-6 years ago. Whereas Ballyglass are one of the main underage sides in Mayo and are seen as a feeder club to Galway United. All away victories in Div 1!

I'm tipping Crossmolina and Ballyglass to get promoted with Mulranny and Ballyvary to go down in Prem Div.

Westport U B and Urlaur to come up from Div 1 with Manulla B and Kilmore to go down.

And Snugboro United B to come up from Div 2A but I'm a bit biased in that opinion.

SUNDAY MARCH 13
    WELCOME INN HOTEL PREM DIV RND 1 2.30
    Ballyglass 0-2 Fahy Rvs
    Castlebar Cl B 1-0 Achill Rvs
    Conn Rgs 3-1 Mulranny U
    Crossmolina 0-1 Ballinrobe Town
    Killala 1-0 Ballyvary

WELCOME INN HOTEL DIV 1 ROUND 1 2.30
    Glenisland U 0-2 Westport U B
    Inver 1-2 Straide Fox B
    Kilmore 0-2 Bangor Hibs
    K'magh Knock 0-4 Claremorris
    Urlaur U 1-3 Manulla B

WELCOME INN HOTEL DIV 2A ROUND 1 2.30
    Ballina U -v- Conn Rgs B
    Ballyvary B 3-3 Valley Rvs
    Hollister 1-2 Ballyglass B
    Lacken U -p- Clew Bay U

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'm actually not a big Westport fan. I'm following them because they are representing the league. I played against this group of players since u-11 community games 2 or 3 times a season. Technically they are all very comfortable on the ball(which can't be said for a lot of teams in Mayo) and have a lot of experience for their age. The players themselves are very confident because, and no offence to Carew, nobody round here had heard of them before this season and they feel if they can beat Pike, then why not Carew. I would say most footballing people in the county expect them to go all the way. Although I was confident that the Rugby team would win on Saturday and look how that turned out. Good Luck to both teams anyway. It's a great opportunity that might not come around again too soon.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    here are a couple of loose ends I'd like to tie up. Nothing important you understand. As columbo would say.

Westport are by far the best side in Mayo. Then it's Celtic and Erris (far) behind them but Westport play better football. On the ground, one touch. They don't like playing against long ball merchant(who does). Castlebar have a few young players coming through 18-19 but this Westport team is close to the finished article.

I noticed the paradox yesterday but hoped it wouldn't be spotted. I hang my head in shame.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 15/03/2005 at 12:28 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Balla V wesport....

now that was more than a few years ago!!!! (mid 80's?)

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Like myself, Ranger probably assumed that you were referring to Balla, a small "town" in Mayo who probably haven't had a soccer side since the mid 80's, Manulla would be the local side for that area now.

Whereas you were probably referring to Ballynanty(another assumption).

Of course I could be wrong?(Doesn't happen much!(Joke))

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Like myself, Ranger probably assumed that you were referring to Balla, a small "town" in Mayo who probably haven't had a soccer side since the mid 80's, Manulla would be the local side for that area now.

Whereas you were probably referring to Ballynanty(another assumption).

Of course I could be wrong?(Doesn't happen much!(Joke))
    Balla is what the Limerick soccer fans call Ballynanty. Balla in Mayo is still only a village. I don't remember Mayo County Council suddenly announcing that Balla is a town. I think that is up to the Minister of the Environment to re-classify a village to a town.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I didn't want to do this TB, but I don't like people suggesting I'm wrong! The reason I put the quotation marks next to town, was because in my opinion, i wouldn't rate balla as a town. One street. I have a lot of mates from Balla and they take offence to Balla being referred to as a village.

owns in County Mayo

* Balla - Balla
    * Ballina - Béal an Átha or Béal Átha an Fheadha
    * Ballycastle - Baile an Chaisil
    * Ballyhaunis - Béal Átha hAmhnais
    * Belmullet - Béal an Mhuirthead
    * Castlebar - Caisleán an Bharraigh
    * Claremorris - Clár Chlainne Mhuiris
    * Killala - Cill Ala
    * Newport - Baile Uí Fhiacháin
    * Tourmakeady - Tuar Mhic Éadaigh
    * Westport - Cathair na Mart

Balla (Balla), a small town on the Castlebar-Claremorris road, owes its origin to a monastery established there in the seventh century by St. Cronan, alias Mochua. The site is marked by a round tower (10m) and a medieval altar. Patrick W. Nally (1856-1891), after whom the Nally Stand in Croke Park is called; was born at Rockstown House, near Balla. He organised two national athletic events in Balla which inter alia led to the establishment of the Gaelic Athletic Association in 1884. There is a Celtic Cross to his memory in the town.

You'd want to update your Mayo County Council newsletter service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mayo villages called towns

Towns in County Mayo

* Balla - Balla
    * Ballina - Béal an Átha or Béal Átha an Fheadha
    * Ballycastle - Baile an Chaisil
    * Ballyhaunis - Béal Átha hAmhnais
    * Belmullet - Béal an Mhuirthead
    * Castlebar - Caisleán an Bharraigh
    * Claremorris - Clár Chlainne Mhuiris
    * Killala - Cill Ala
    * Newport - Baile Uí Fhiacháin
    * Tourmakeady - Tuar Mhic Éadaigh
    * Westport - Cathair na Mart
    Balla, Ballycastle, Killala, Newport and Tourmakeady should all be thrown out of that list and replaced with Swinford and Ballinrobe. Anyhow, all towns in Mayo would be seen as villages in England.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    CONNACHT CUP ROUND 6 2pm
    Gurteen 0-2 Westport U

ELVERYS SUPER LEAGUE ROUND 2 2.30
    Castlebar Cel 1-1 Straide Foxford U
    Erris U 1-3 Manulla
    Glenhest Rvs 1-4 Ballyheane
    Swinford 0-2 Ballina Town

WELCOME INN HOTEL PREM DIV RND 2 2.30
    Achill Rvs 4-2 Killala
    Ballinrobe Tn 0-3 Conn Rgs
    Ballyvary 1-2 Crossmolina
    Fahy Rvs 1-3 Castlebar Cel B
    Mulranny U 1-1 Ballyglass

WELCOME INN HOTEL DIV 1 ROUND 2 12.00
    Bangor Hibs 2-3 K'magh Knock
    Claremorris 1-2 Glenisland U
    Manulla B 4-1 Kilmore
    Straide Fox B 3-3 Urlaur U
    Westport U B 3-0 Inver

WELCOME INN HOTEL DIV 2A ROUND 1 2.30
    Ballyglass B 0-1 Lacken U
    Clew Bay U 1-1 Snugboro U B
    Ballyvary B 2-2 Hollister
    Valley Rvs 3-1 Ballina U

WELCOME INN HOTEL DIV 2B ROUND 1
    Ballinrobe B 2-1 Ballyheane B
    C'bar Cel C 1-0 Castlebar U
    Charlestown 1-2 Moy Villa
    Swinford B 4-2 Partry Ath

Well Done Westport. Erris and Celtic, Bad starts to the league. Manulla a suprise package this season? Glenhest and Swinford to go down? Bit premature to take any results into consideration.

Charlestown? Moy Villa?

Agree with you TB on the town front. Some of that list are a joke. Balla included.

And I didn't miss the point about worst case scenario travelling to Mayo. I took your comment out of context for the sake of a joke which obviously wasn't funny. I'll try harder in future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Swinford B V Partry Ath

Big turn around with Swinford B this season. Partry would have belted them last year.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro
    United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United Snugboro United

Snugboro United and Mayo Junior soccer homepage
    http://www.leaguerepublic.com/gen/In...league=2992269

Sorry about this. Google are dragging their heals in adding the site to their search engine. Anytime i search for it i just get this page, so why not use it for a little redirection?

With regards Westport, I haven't heard anything. I'll have to wait for the local media on tuesday and wednesday. I'd agree with the prediction that this game is effectively the cup final, although I know very little about hibs and crystal(and carew for that matter) so I wouldn't read too much into my humble opinion. Westport will travel the night before. They've been very professional about preparation since the current management of Padraig Burns and Kevin Cusack took over the reins. Expensive yes but they are the only team in a fairly big town by Mayo Standards(compared to Castlebar and Ballina who have 3 each) and have very little difficulty in finding sponsors and doners. Interesting sidenote, their main shirt sponsors, Blousers pub, was the pub which featured in the Guinness ad "Now we've got something to talk about.... Kevin! Pint?"

Westport don't however have their own pitch, and all their sides from U-12 to U-18 and Junior(A and B at every level) all use the Westport Sports Park.(I could be wrong though, I've never played against them anywhere other than this venue). They are trying to buy a field just outside Westport on the main Castlebar-Westport road, where they will probably build a clubhouse and a couple of pitches, maybe even a stand and floodlights finance permitting.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 21/03/2005 at 3:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Foot.ie! Injury Crisis?

Talking to a friend of mine from Westport, he was telling me that Westport fielded a weakened side against Gurteen Celtic on Sunday due to a few injuries, which the Mayomen won by two goals to nil. Some of the top players were out so it will be touch and go to see which card the Westport management will play on Sunday. At the moment, according to my mate from Westport, it is not very promising for Sunday.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

predictions

i dont think westport are by far the best team in mayo and dont rule out the"smaller" teams like manulla and straide and foxford causin and few shocks and b battlin for silverware come the end of the season and in reply to joe denilsons predictions how can u possibly believe that crossmolina and urlaur are goin to get promoted to the super and that manulla b r goin to get relegated from div 1? my predictions are
    super league champions:westport
    relegated:swinford and glenhest
    premier division promoted conn rangers and ballinrobe
    relegated;crossmolina and ballyvary
    division one promoted:westport b and bangor hibs
    relegated urlaur an kilmore
    division 2a promoted snugboro b and ballyvaryb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Foot.ie! The "Small" Mayo Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by joe joe
    "smaller" teams like manulla and straide and foxford
    Manulla and S&F are no small Mayo sides and are generally well respected. Manulla were only in the Connacht Cup final last season and S&F United were the Super League winners in 2000 and got to the last 64 of the FAI Junior Cup in December. Nothing to be sniffed at. Both sides are capable of nicking results.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    Manulla and S&F are no small Mayo sides and are generally well respected. Manulla were only in the Connacht Cup final last season and S&F United were the Super League winners in 2000 and got to the last 64 of the FAI Junior Cup in December. Nothing to be sniffed at. Both sides are capable of nicking results.
    i know they will def cause a few shocks especially s and f who now have andrew neary back from sligo rovers and johnny jordan playin brillant football in his new centre back role both themselves and manulla who would be serious challengers if only they had a potent strikeforce

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whistler
    JOE,JOE

HOW DO YOU SEE WESTPORT FARING OUT THIS WEEKEND IN THE FAI ?
    i can see them coming throgh this game with a win as they have beaten much better teams on route to this game hopefully there injury worries will be right as players like joe lawless and vinny o malley wud b a massive loss to any team

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast