Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Formula 1

F1 is back at the wkd and the best season in a long time is on the cards, for the first time in a few years, Ferrari are not the team to be beat.
    From testing it looks like Renault and Mclaren are gonna be the frontrunners at the start anyway. Its a pity Jordan is effectively gone, F1 will not be the same without them but this season could be something special and perhaps the beginning of the end of the Schumacher era

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy
    perhaps the beginning of the end of the Schumacher era
    Don't count your chickens.

It should be an interesting start, Ferrari's delay on their new car could be more important this year than last with the rule changes, the tyres especially. Having said that, i'd be surprised if they weren't at least challanging at the start. Renault and McLaren may well pull out a lead in the first few races but I'd be surprised if Ferrair's new car doesn't prove to be a significant step forward.

Hopefully it'll be more competitive than recent years and Fisichella especially will have a chance at a few wins.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    mcclaren are favourites to win the constructors this year.so maybe we might get a much needed change this year

there are a lot of rule changes this year including the qualification and tyres(one set for the whole weekend i believe)
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 02/03/2005 at 3:53 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think Schumacher may still win it out, but Kimi will push him all the way. Not convinced about Montoya, hes not very consistent, glad mclaren have got rid of Coulthard-at least they have 2 competitive runners now.
    I fancy Fisichella to have a good season too, if the Renault car is as good as everyone is making out then he should notch up a good few wins.

The most qualifying system is prob the most disappointing aspect, the sooner the revert to the 12 laps in an hour system the better

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    f1 isnt a sport!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    The most qualifying system is prob the most disappointing aspect, the sooner the revert to the 12 laps in an hour system the better
    Agreed, Mosely has a bee in his bonnet about qualifying with race fuel but it leads to $hit qualifying.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The most qualifying system is prob the most disappointing aspect.....
    To make F1 more interesting I would suggest:
    - award points for qualification, one for the slowest, two for the second slowest etc... up to 22 (or however many cars there are) for the fastest.
    - line cars up on the grid with the slowest at the front and the fastest on the back row
    - race points would be awarded according to the order they finished... 22 for first, 21 for second.. down to 1 for last (assuming they all finish) - no finish no race points

This would give the possibility of maximum points of 44 per race. The best cars/drivers would have a points incentive for qualifying fastest, even though they would line up at back of grid.

Guaranteed loads of overtaking and real race driving rather than the blocking that goes on from the first bend these days making it the most boring sport on earth.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    F1 was at its best back around 97, it wasnt broke but the FIA decided to fix it.
    Bring back the old style qualifying, that was great for tv, super to watch and you didnt know who had pole till the very last sec.
    I honestly believe F1 will come alive again this year, its the closest the teams have being in a long time and thats what makes the sport exciting-competition.
    Whether the new rules will have any effect im not sure, the changes to pit stops and engine rules will def have an impact, not too sure if for better or worse though-have to wait and see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

Schumacher 1!

When will he win it?

Maybe Italy, in Ferrari country in September. Schumi is so far ahead of everyone else, it doesn't matter if they have cars that are as good or better than his, he'll still bore everyone to tears, by coasting to another title. He is invincible, and his car is bulletproof, it hasn't broken down for 3.5 years.

Pre-season testing can be deceptive, different teams test on different days, on different circuits, in different weather conditions. I hope not, but I expect Schumacher to run rings around the opposition again this season, starting in Melbourne on Saturday night. Another walkover season for him and Ferrari is on the cards once again.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Well first impressions from fri practice look very good, mclaren on top, williams close behind, Renault and Sauber looking strong too. First time in 4 years a ferrari hasnt topped friday practice in melbourne-its looking good!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One of the best suggestions I heard that would make the sport interesting and ensure the best win (but which is never going to happen). Each driver drives two races for every team - making sure the best driver and the best team wins...regardless of budgets, the team you are with etc...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Wouldnt work because some circuits suit some drivers and others dont so it still wouldnt be a level playing field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wouldnt work because some circuits suit some drivers and others dont so it still wouldnt be a level playing field
    Explain why some circuits do/dont suit certain drivers? An example?
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Well first impressions from fri practice look very good, mclaren on top, williams close behind, Renault and Sauber looking strong too. First time in 4 years a ferrari hasnt topped friday practice in melbourne-its looking good!
    Schumacher qualified 18th in the 1st session, the last of those who completed their laps, in changeable weather. He probably would have been quickest if he had gone out to do his lap, 5 minutes earlier. At the beginning of the session, it was wet, then dried out for a while, before tipping down again for the last 20 minutes. However, some things never change. Italians finished 1st and 2nd.

Because of the weather in the 1st session, tonight's 2nd session may not see many changes in the qualifying positions. So Schumacher may have to start at the back of the field. You never know, we may be able to watch a decent race, for a change.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Regardless of the weather-hit qualifying, I think 2005 will be a lot better than last season...but then that would not be hard!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    The Italian anthem was played again on the podium, but not for Ferrari this time, as Fisichella won the race comfortably from Barrichello. Schumacher was one of only 3 cars to retire, after crashing into Heidfeld. The start of things to come? Maybe, maybe not. A race weekend of dry conditions soon, will give us a better indication of how things will go this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    As far as I remember reading Ferrari will not unleash their new car until about 5 races in. They actually said teams will have a chance to get a head start on them. So they may look better in about a month or two.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Boring race.

Very weird seeing car come into the pitstip surrounded by 15+ mechanics & only 2 needed to add the fuel.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good result, Ferrari do not have the strongest car of that there is no doubt, was surprised at how little impact Schumacher made from the back. But have to agree, a fairly boring race, not too sure the new regs of no change of tyres is gonna do a whole lot for the entertainment.
    Although ironically i think the fact the grid was all over the place because of the weather meant there wasnt a great fight for the win, hopefully in future races, there should be good battles between ferrari, renault and mclaren.

Overall a refreshing change but still a bit lack entertainment wise.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    Explain why some circuits do/dont suit certain drivers? An example?

Example last year Trulli won Monaco because power is not such a factor there and their car had great traction and launch control.
    Other races where speed is needed-barcelona, ferrari were streets ahead of anyone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast