Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAI Cup Semi Final Cork (A)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Main feeling coming away yesterday was pride tbh. We've put in some truly awful performances completely lacking in effort this season and I've been furious but when its obvious the lads are giving all they have you can't ask for more. We obviously lack a bit of quality in certain areas and we can't forget we are up against the soon to be champions.

Feel like we probably deserved to at least get a replay out of it but wasn't to be.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Agree with above post. Even to see the likes of D.Clarke and Lynch snapping at each other over a misplaced pass in the heat of the moment was good to see - the commitment and hunger was evident last night.

Particularly important for me too is that these performances of late are coming from the guys that are there all season -Cameron, Crowe and Berki haven't added anything significant. The bones of a reasonable side is there, obviously we're lacking depth and quality in places but the rebuilding job may not be quite so severe as was feared next year.

Kudos to our support too. I watched the game from elsewhere in the ground last night but they seemed to behave excellently and made decent noise - a complete (and welcome) turnaround from last time. Great to see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    It's so important to keep certain members of the current squad to build on for next season. Hery and Ogbene are essential. I believe talks on contracts won't begin till premier-league status is secured. Great noise from the Limerick supporter last night. Was there and it was fantastic to be part of. Lessons learned from last time certainly. Great sense of pride leaving Tuners Cross last night. Push on now for the last 4 games.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Couldn't get to this but watched it on TV and was very proud of the performance and like gael said, the performances in the last month have been encouraging. The team is light in areas & vital we keep the lads who are already mentioned & we are a long way off having a squad but it's starting to take shape hopefully. If we could finish the season strong it would be great, like if we took 7 points from the next three & left the relegation scrap well below us it would set us up well. I suppose one concern would be that the three lads NMcD has brought here have not impacted really, and we will have to see with other arrivals how that side of his management holds up, but his judgment calls on who to keep and what could be achieved with them is encouraging.

Hopefully the sky isn't falling down after all and there might even be an interesting time or two ahead if we keep what we have and add well to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Lee J , Batien and Ogbene have to be kept if we have any hope to progress. I'd really like to keep Tosi too could end the season with 15 goals and that is hard to replace for a team like us.

Already hearing a lot of talk about clubs after Lee J hearing Waterford mad keen as well as Sligo and Rovers. Can't afford to let these things drag on as soon as we are safe we should be making moves.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Lynch efforts on the pitch can never be faulted,gives his all but in the bigger scheme of things his possible loss would not be a problem,doesnt infuence games enough,a lot of aimless running and no goal return given the positions he plays.the likes of Hery and Ogbene on the other hand would be very hard to replace.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Ogbene is under contract but if we don’t make good signings early I wouldn’t be surprised to see him look for a move away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I would strongly disagree with the opinion on Lee J without him this season at stages our midfield would have been abysmal during Duggys poor form he stepped up.

Hery has been fantastic recently but have people forgotten that he was nowhere near this level up until about 4-5 weeks ago? I mean I'm a huge Hery fan have been since he first came but people including your main man Alan were mocking the idea of Hery playing ahead of Duggy earlier in the season. Not at all having a go at Bastien but if you take the season as a whole Lee J has done more imo.

Doesn't score enough is a fair criticism but if you could go back through all our goals this season I bet he has been instrumental in a hell of a lot of em. He's in double figures for assists I reckon. All about opinions I suppose but I definitely think it's a case of not giving our own the credit they deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Analysis of last night's semi-final here: http://bit.ly/2x4IXl0

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    In addition to making keeping Lee a priority it struck me watching the game Friday that he does far more motivating of those around him than Duggan does too. I would actually consider giving him the captain's armband. Like BWA above, for me he's been our best midfielder over the course of the whole season (Hery has obviously been different class the last month or so).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Alan you seem to keep raising how you admire McDonald for cutting players half way through the season but I still can't see the justification for this decision. Kelly was the best right back at this club no question. Rotating Barry Cotter, Dean Clarke and Joe Crowe in his place has been a disaster and has massively contributed to our defensive frailties this year.

Paul O'Conor was also left go unnecessarily. Shane Duggan as we all know has played well below par this year and leaving the only alternative centre midfielder go was another poor decision b this manager.

Leaving these players go without getting in any decent replacements has also being a disaster and to stick with O'Connor at left back was crazy from a manager with his experience in the game. Any punter from the street could see this and results have improved since the switch was made to bring Tracy in. But the question is why did it take so long?

I cant see your rational for backing McDonald to the extent you do. It is my believe that Martin Russell if he was kept on in the job would have kept us away from the relegation battle that we still currently find our selves in. I am happy to see McDonald maintained for next season (only if we stay up) but there are still so many question marks over both he's and the boards handling of the club since Russel's departure which I believe have contributed massively to this disappointing season.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    In regards the transfer policy, that goes beyond McDonald. Our last three managers have all had the same problems getting players in, which speaks more to a general problem with the club as opposed to just whoever is directly in charge of the team.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I'd like to hold on to Tosi as well - he is already fairly immobile so he will be much the same player next season I'd say, and he can be a real handful and help to relieve pressure.

It all depends on how much he costs though, and what that money would bring in to replace him.

With Clarke ahead of Hall, it wouldn't surprise me if Hall leaves. I'd be hoping to hold on to both Clarkes, Ogbene, Hery, Lynch.

Whitehead, O'Connor, Cotter, and Duggan I imagine will stick around, as will Tracy if wanted.

Can't see Berki, Crowe, O'Flynn, Cameron or Kenny being around next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    In regards the transfer policy, that goes beyond McDonald. Our last three managers have all had the same problems getting players in, which speaks more to a general problem with the club as opposed to just whoever is directly in charge of the team.
    Martin Russell problems with signing players was because he is absolutely awful at trying to convince people to come he had the money he was just dreadful. Like we signed lads like Hery, Tosi and Tommy Robson because the board stepped in as Russell was doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'd like to hold on to Tosi as well - he is already fairly immobile so he will be much the same player next season I'd say, and he can be a real handful and help to relieve pressure.

It all depends on how much he costs though, and what that money would bring in to replace him.

With Clarke ahead of Hall, it wouldn't surprise me if Hall leaves. I'd be hoping to hold on to both Clarkes, Ogbene, Hery, Lynch.

Whitehead, O'Connor, Cotter, and Duggan I imagine will stick around, as will Tracy if wanted.

Can't see Berki, Crowe, O'Flynn, Cameron or Kenny being around next season.
    Freddy just signed a new 2 year deal so can't see him going anywhere. I'd be very happy to have both again anyway tbh.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think BWA that if anything, we have a possible blindside for the weaknesses of some of our own in the team. Hery has been excellent all year but inexplicably hasn't solidified his starting position until late in the season. Duggy, sadly has just not been worth his spot for almost the entire season. Lee-J has been tireless in fairness but has not got forward enough....he is supposed to be a 10! Shane T has been great since coming in but it's obvious why managers have tried everything else first.

We have our current 11 at the moment by default, through mismanagement of the squad, with zero options from the bench. How Kelly and POC were allowed leave before the end of the season is ridiculous. Only credit I can give MacDonald is for getting the last 11 players in the club to work (most of them anyway), but if you fire everyone else, it's not that hard to galvanise the survivors commitment.

If we stay up, ordinarily I would prefer to keep the manager just for some stability. People underestimate the value that can bring and in large part is why the club should not have screwed it up with Russell. However the players MacDonald has brought in are offering very little (with none even worth a starting position). For that reason, as long as the club have at least one of our goalkeepers, Whitehead, DOC, Hery, Ogbene, LeeJ and possibly Tosi and DC secured before the end of this season.....I would be happy to hand the checkbook to someone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I kind of see why NMcD got rid of the players but he was taking a massive risk with the timing of it. Why not just drop them? It would've been ok if he was using the money saved on their wages to sign serious talent but he didn't do that either so for me, he's gotten away with it a little bit.

On the Lee-J love in, he's neat and tidy but he doesn't score enough goals or even penetrate defences often enough for me. If he did he'd be the first name on the team sheet and not some kind of attacking utility man on the right, the 10 or in midfield. If he has serious assist stats for this season, I'd like to see them. Because I haven't seen it in him.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake87 View Post
    Alan you seem to keep raising how you admire McDonald for cutting players half way through the season but I still can't see the justification for this decision. Kelly was the best right back at this club no question. Rotating Barry Cotter, Dean Clarke and Joe Crowe in his place has been a disaster and has massively contributed to our defensive frailties this year.

Paul O'Conor was also left go unnecessarily. Shane Duggan as we all know has played well below par this year and leaving the only alternative centre midfielder go was another poor decision b this manager.

Leaving these players go without getting in any decent replacements has also being a disaster and to stick with O'Connor at left back was crazy from a manager with his experience in the game. Any punter from the street could see this and results have improved since the switch was made to bring Tracy in. But the question is why did it take so long?

I cant see your rational for backing McDonald to the extent you do. It is my believe that Martin Russell if he was kept on in the job would have kept us away from the relegation battle that we still currently find our selves in. I am happy to see McDonald maintained for next season (only if we stay up) but there are still so many question marks over both he's and the boards handling of the club since Russel's departure which I believe have contributed massively to this disappointing season.
    The rational is ... 1. To hound Duggy out of the club (Nothing to do with football mind you)
    2. Fawn over anything NMcD related and become his new best friend.
    3. Act as the clubs unofficial PRO
    4. Remain club user friendly.
    Don't think for a second it's about impartial reporting/journalism .. It's agenda ridden tripe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlepook View Post
    The rational is ... 1. To hound Duggy out of the club (Nothing to do with football mind you)
    2. Fawn over anything NMcD related and become his new best friend.
    3. Act as the clubs unofficial PRO
    4. Remain club user friendly.
    Don't think for a second it's about impartial reporting/journalism .. It's agenda ridden tripe.
    Best description ive heard.Unbeliievable Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12