Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Season run in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I think people are playing on the whole uninterested thing a bit too much. Why would Derry not go out and try to win the game like? Even Cork after celebrating are a much better team than Pats not saying they won't beat em but both those games are still in Derry and Corks favour being realistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The current Cork team are not better than Pats based on the last 10 games and Dundalk could easily lose their match against Galway, (they lost 5-2 at PAts at the end of last season when they were getting ready for a euro match)..
    But its a bit like a 4 horse accumulator bet, all the results look possible but one of them always manages to let you down, I'd say your safe enough...
    And anyway the third bottom team will probably be replaced by Bray after the FAI rule on the betting issue down there.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    I think people are playing on the whole uninterested thing a bit too much. Why would Derry not go out and try to win the game like? Even Cork after celebrating are a much better team than Pats not saying they won't beat em but both those games are still in Derry and Corks favour being realistic.
    I take your point, but to be more detailed than to just say "uninterested", I think it's really fine margins in the League of Ireland: one player sold, one player injured, one team having just that little bit more of a vested interest in a game than the other. The gap between Cork and Pats isn't truly astronomical to begin with and if, say, Pats take the lead against Cork in the 80th minute, will Cork be mentally ready to chase the game down to the best of their ability? Or will a bunch of players be thinking about the Aviva and their holidays and just decide, even subconsciously, that it isn't really worth any extra effort?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I take your point, but to be more detailed than to just say "uninterested", I think it's really fine margins in the League of Ireland: one player sold, one player injured, one team having just that little bit more of a vested interest in a game than the other. The gap between Cork and Pats isn't truly astronomical to begin with and if, say, Pats take the lead against Cork in the 80th minute, will Cork be mentally ready to chase the game down to the best of their ability? Or will a bunch of players be thinking about the Aviva and their holidays and just decide, even subconsciously, that it isn't really worth any extra effort?
    I admit all of that could be right but if Pats put in a performance like they did against Galway they have no hope even against a half hearted Cork they were awful in that game. Anyway its not really a big deal you were just giving a worse case scenario.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12