Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea fans

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    hearts sing "Hello Hello we are the gorgie boys" but it does not mention fenian blood afaik. i think it is Hibee blood - not very nice I'll grant you. The Billy Boys is sectarian IMO.

I would consider IRA songs to be sectarian - The Boys of the old brigade. sean South, I consider the term "hun" to be sectarian and dirty orange b^&tards" to be sectarian.

The band on the pitch played both Sean South and the boys of the Old Brigade before Packie's testimonial.
    before games at croke aprk the band plays sean south btw.
    hun IS NOT sectarian FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hearts are nicknamed the mini-huns. theyre the next step up from rangers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Is that what the boys from OWM told you. And why was this so? So that the Guards could have an easy day? Every newspaper had it that the game was moved because of 'the threat of sectarian violence from Protestant Rangers supporters travelling south from Northern Ireland.' Apologies, but if you don't mind, this time I'll take their word for it. After the incident with the Scum two years previously, I guess no one was taking a chance. Money doesn't come into it unless you also take in the fact that the lack of sales could not, under any circumstance, be transferred to away supporters. And I don't for a minute believe that Shelbourne could not have filled their ground at twelve with supporters for a game with Rangers unless they were worried that these would be top heavy with supporters of other EL clubs with an unhealthy interest in the SPL.Whether they moved the kick-off to twelve or moved it to Liverpool, this 'threat of violence' was the major factor.
    When has any visit to the 26C by Rangers gone off peacefully in the past thirty years. Even Linfield have managed this feat. You do sometimes live in a parallel universe. The question here is, why have these games always had trouble? I mean Bohs (Twice), Dundalk, Shelbourne: They're not Celtic. Why has there been no corresponding trouble with Celtic when they visit England? OK, there was that trouble at Sunderland v Celtic a few years back when a bloke got his face slashed and that massive riot at Villa Park in the seventies. Hold on! Wasn't that Rangers? 'Bad as each other': Hate to see what Rangers have to do to make them the worst old firm supporters in your eyes.

As for Edinburgh being a better place, I remember my last visit to Murrayfield in 1993 with Conchita and this bloke passed her side with his girlfriend as we were walking back into town, and every second word was 'Fenian'. No, these people aren't obsessive. Junior's right: Sectarianism (anti Irishness to be succinct) runs right through Scottish society. It is its (not so) secret shame, and isn't just confined to Rangers fans or those of Irish Unionist descent as the apologists love to spin.

Are you quoting from a proper dictionary or making things up? Collins has it as 1. Member of several Asiatic nomadic peoples speaking Mongoloid or Turkic languages... 2. A derogatory name for German 3. A vandal. No mention of George I, 2 or 3 or sectarianism. Mind you, this dictionary is four years old which is nearly as old as Mark Walters getting a banana thrown at him.
    You've also forgotten Motherwell and the gone and forgotten Airdrieonians.
    Tickets were £25 each in 1998 - a blatant ripoff and only on sale in the Republic. rangers had very strict travel restrictions limited to season ticket holders who had attended another away game (can't rememeber which one).
    Rangers had 3 buses filled and were only expecting to bring 250 fans. there were no tickets for Rangers fans in NI. I had arranged a ticket for a Rangers fan I've known for many years. He is a season ticket holder and a regular away fan and he could not get a ticket in Scotland. tickets were readily available for Tranmere.

Shels were not selling tickets well because of the price. The game was not officially moved to 12 noon but I was told it was a done deal and would have gone ahead with a small crowd. The live tv coverage on eurosport would also have been lost for a 12 noon game.

The guards did not move the game Shels did. There was subsequent trouble from Rangers fans in Tranmere.

I'm not trying to defend Rangers fans here. I know there is a scumbag trouble element. However I was not happy with the decision to move a home European tie out of the country.

The definition was one I picked up on the web d=from a previous debate. I think it came from an online dictionary - can't remember - I always thought it was a German term as well referring to the house of Hannover.

I think the sectarian problem is mainly a west of Scotland issue. The east of Scotland is much better. Based on personal observations but I've never lived in Scotland. I've visited both cities on at least 3 separate occasions since 1985.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    Just because Sean South is played at Croke Park does not make it non sectarian.

I'll go back to the Panorama programme and the street interviews.

Which of these terms are offensive/sectarian

Fenian/Hun/tim

Some people - Hun is offensive/sectarian but Fenian/Tim just means a Celtic fans

Some people - Fenian/Tim is offensive and sectarian but Hun just means a Rangers fan.

Hearts and Hibs fans hate the Old Firm with a passion. Much as Old Firm fans liek to call them mini Huns and mini tims or Huns/Tims without the busfare there is a clear nationalist distinction. Hearts/Hibs fans support Scotland. The Old Frim has an England/Ireland dimension with the england shirts at Ibrox and the Celtic fans claiming to support us. This really really annoys fans of other scottish teams. Hibs fans sing "we hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate celtic too - they're sh1te...."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    I also don't want to carry on this Celtic/Rangers discussion - this board has seen enough of it. Perhaps we should either bring the thread back on track or call it a day.

there is a very simple solution to your problem : dont read or answer any posts in this tread . you have the power

just cos its been talked about before does nt mean that people that have missed that chat cant talk about it now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    in my opinion the term hun from a dictionary is not offensive but the way in which it is used to cause offence is .

example the word black isnt rasisit but put it with black b*****. it changes its meaning and make s it offensive . in the same way as a celtic fans shouting you dirty orange hun b****** is offensive to people ,so they should nt do it and the old they do it too arguement is a bit childish .

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

yeah great to be proud of a an Irish Tricolor with chelsea written on it. dont suppose youev ever noticed any union jacks with shelborne etc on them??
    keep politics out of sport lads for fooks sake, theres no joy in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    anyone see the 'no surrender' flag the sheffield united supporters had infront of their kop V arsenal ?

Also heard Chelsea had a couple of 'no surrender' flags in cardiff

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    What? No personal insults today? A post devoid of any comments about me? One small step in the world of mature debate...

It may be 18 years old, but I note the Mark Walters incident never ceases to amuse you. Go on, tell us how seriously Celtic fans take it again, and go make another wisecrack about it then...suuuuuuuuuure you take it seriously...
    Conor, go on! Tell us that story again about Mark Walters. What was thrown at him? A banana?

Mature debate? When it comes to Celtic you wouldn't know it if it was a banana hitting the back of your head. For the rest of those reading perhaps people should look at the views of an organisation like Anti Fascist Action to see what they see in the general difference between the fans of Celtic and Rangers, or in fact Leeds come to that.

BTW - for those like Anto1208 who have just joined the debate - did anyone hear about Mark Walters getting a banana thrown at him in 1987?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    This thread is titled 'Chelsea fans', yet after two pages it turns into Celtic v Rangers. I'm sorry now I even mentioned Glasgow Rangers in my post. This thread is as bad as the Everton\Liverpool\Catholic\Protestant thread. What a load of bo**ocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    What? No personal insults today? A post devoid of any comments about me? One small step in the world of mature debate...

It may be 18 years old, but I note the Mark Walters incident never ceases to amuse you. Go on, tell us how seriously Celtic fans take it again, and go make another wisecrack about it then...suuuuuuuuuure you take it seriously...

Every time this subject turns up I always think of the movie Groundhog day, which was on the telly the other night funny enough.

You know by now how seriously Celtic fans took this incident its been told to you a thousand times , they took it so seriously that fans have made sure that no black player has had to put up with that kind of carry on since, its a shame your club and its fans couldn't show the same actions when some of your so called international superstars tried to kick a young asian lad to death.

I wonder what action you took when some of your fellow Leeds fans turned up on the front pages of papers decked out in KKK gear.

Anyway you were saying about Mark Walters, did you have any other information about the incident that can shed any more light on what happened.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    Glad too see Airdrie get a mention...
    I'd be happier if they never got mentioned ever again. A more disgusting team you'll never meet. If ever there was a subject for a documentary its Airdrie United FC.
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith
    I'd be happier if they never got mentioned ever again. A more disgusting team you'll never meet. If ever there was a subject for a documentary its Airdrie United FC.
    I thought they went out of business (apologies for my lack of interest in the SPL)? Did like their shirt though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    Every time this subject turns up I always think of the movie Groundhog day, which was on the telly the other night funny enough.
    You're so right, hombre. Celtic on this board is exactly like that, but without the 'I've Got You Babe' by Sonny & Cher. Same old arguments. And as 4tothefloor rightly says: Same old cojones.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    re. Soldiers song vs Boys of the Old Brigade- 'Saxon foe'?? Sureley just as 'secaterian' as singing about Mick Collins/Kevin Barry's IRA....

Could see there being more trouble at Celtic vs Chelsea than Celtic vs Huns as it would not have the same control and the headhunters (facist filth) would realise ti was their one chance to get a crack at us........
    They never try and distance themselves from Ulster-looking at an article about football holliganism in Nuts today and noticed their logo (HH not Nuts) has the red hand/6 pointed star/crown at the top! Above thier jack or sjc or even their pretty little skull and crossbones

Cosnider Hearts 'up to our necks in Catholic blood' very offensive....I'm sure the Protestant Celtic fans arn't keen on it either......that's right Protestant Celtic fans.......we wern't the ones with a secaterian signing policy
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Could see there being more trouble at Celtic vs Chelsea than Celtic vs Huns as it would not have the same control and the headhunters (facist filth) would realise ti was their one chance to get a crack at us........
    They never try and distance themselves from Ulster-looking at an article about football holliganism in Nuts today and noticed their logo (HH not Nuts) has the red hand/6 pointed star/crown at the top! Above thier jack or sjc or even their pretty little skull and crossbones

Evidence? The Old Firm is a major event with likely public disorder. Celtic- Chelsea would be a summer friendly like the Fulham games last year. Er, why should they distance themselves from Ireland? Celtic don't...

what did you expect at a chelsea game the headhunters are one of the worst firms about really hate filled morons

I was a regular at Chelsea from 1985-94 and never met anyone claiming to be a 'headhunter'. I think most would agree that the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge now is at least no worse than it was then.

I couldn't understand why any Irish fans would support Chelsea, as they are basically the Glasgow Rangers of the premiership. They are a horrible club, not only their fans, but also their manager and their general attitude. They continue to prove it at all levels, most recently in Barcelona and in Cardiff. I hate seeing Duffer playing for them

Yawn. Tens of thousands of Irish fans support Rangers, and quite a few of them Chelsea (not all at the same time). How exactly does their 'horribleness' (some of which I'd accept) distinguish them from many other clubs to the extent that you're amazed at their support? Is McLeish, or Mourinho, some sort of social deviant? Or really, as I guess, are you so narrow-minded that anything remotely linked to in opposition with C*t*c, even very spuriously as here, is automatically bad? Or that anything outside the 26 is by definition un-Irish? I can see why you **** off the northern and expat crowds so much...

BTW, did ye notice how lifeless, how colourless and how mundane the Chelsea supporters were in Cardiff on Sunday?

No, I thought both sets of fans were pretty similar.

try open your mouth with an irish accent at ibrox,even in a hun shirt ,see if you get out alive and well. do the same at stamford brigde you wont be very welcome in many parts of the ground.the irish chelsea supporters club complained in the evil herald a few months ago that the club often situate them next to the chelsea loyalist mob.however ive no sympathy for these people,they shouldnt be following a horrible notorious racist club like chelsea anyway

This is a huge exaggeration from one or two incidents. A moment's thought would show its absurdity; thousands travel from Ireland to Ibrox for every game; Chelsea have always drawn support from the (largely Irish) working-class communities in south London. Chelsea have not been notoriously racist since the 1980s, when black players were sadly, and routinely abused. I saw Keith Dublin playing non-League last season, btw. He is now about 39 and looks like George Foreman's elder brother...

Yourself and Gspain are just 2 on here who often trot out the 'they are just as bad as each other line' and it grates with me...I object to the simplistic & ignorant view that we are both as bad as each other trotted out by... those who just don't care enough to ascertain the truth on the subject

Steady. Many who make this argument are likely to know, and care, as much as you do, and maybe even more so. I grew up by a Belfast interface; I've seen many there, then and since, using the Old Firm as sources of identity and justifications for sectarian violence; I've watched their games on TV over 30 years. Only the other day I was talking to (an admittedly small sample of three) Partick fans who were adamant that they are basically two sides of the same coin.

But for all that, I can live with their fans' insistence on arguing the toss. Just get a room or something?

Heard a funny story - told by Jerry Kilburn himself - about the time he spotted 'Duffer' coming out of SB. 'Oright Duffer' he goes then behind him were these c*nts from the O6C who started singing 'No Surrender!' JK done a rambo and steamed into them. Sounds great, although about as much an urban myth

If it's mythical, does that make them not c*nts then?

You might also note that many great republican ballads are in fact praising great protestants of the past. Sectarian indeed

Folk songs about Billy Orange or Theo Wolfe are harmless enough in most cases. Limiting sectarianism to only overt references to another religion is wrong because it's limiting. The NI conflict is about nationality, not religion.

Comparing 'like' with like is a misnomer...dont think there are too many BNP sympathisers @ Celtic Pk... Or fascists either

Indeed, they're a minority of thugs. Similarly, you won't find many Sinn Fein/ IRA members or Colombian paramilitaries holding season tickets at Ibrox.

It's a poor reflection on the ignorance of many on this MB/Irish society that you cant be a 'Prod' Nationalist ...just as there are catholic 'unionists'

No, it merely reflects that although the conflict is about nationality, religion acts as a broad guide to national identity.

I would consider IRA songs to be sectarian - The Boys of the old brigade. Sean South

Indeed. Sean South (a real incident within living memory for many) is seen as more sectarian by unionists than the Soldiers' Song, a deliberately unspecific rallying call.

No-one says any Irish person has to be a Republican/support Celtic

Some on this thread say they can't understand any Irish person supporting Chelsea. Their reasoning seems to be,

a) Chelsea are similar to and linked with Rangers

b) who are rivals to Celtic

c) thus Chelsea are rivals to Celtic

d) who are the only half of the Old Firm appropriate for Irish fans to support.

e) Zzzzz....
    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 06/03/2005 at 10:53 AM.
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Duncan Gardner, are the 'no surrender' flags that were spotted in cardiff regularly brought to chelsea matches? Not stirring it, just curious cos you'd regularly see them at england away matches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gardner
    Yawn. Tens of thousands of Irish fans support Rangers, and quite a few of them Chelsea (not all at the same time). How exactly does their 'horribleness' (some of which I'd accept) distinguish them from many other clubs to the extent that you're amazed at their support?..
    Their anti-irishness. Very simple really.

Or really, as I guess, are you so narrow-minded that anything remotely linked to in opposition with C*t*c, even very spuriously as here, is automatically bad? Or that anything outside the 26 is by definition un-Irish?
    Well you guess wrong (what a surprise...) What are you on about? I have no time for Celtic, I don't like them at all.....You're the one linking Celtic to Ireland, I'm Irish yet I have no link to, or like for Celtic. Good man Duncan

I can see why you **** off the northern and expat crowds so much...
    What the f**k are you on about here? Who out of all the 'northern and expat crowds' do I p*ss off so much? You? Stop talking crap.

Some on this thread say they can't understand any Irish person supporting Chelsea. Their reasoning seems to be,

a) Chelsea are similar to and linked with Rangers

b) who are rivals to Celtic

c) thus Chelsea are rivals to Celtic

d) who are the only half of the Old Firm appropriate for Irish fans to support.
    No offence, but that logic is retarded.....You're putting in a lot of 'yawns' in your posts - maybe you're falling asleep and not reading the thread properly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chelsea headhunters are the media myth of football hooligans always involved in newspaper hogging antics,smashing shoping centres beating up old ladies, and singing / anti Irish / catholic songs/ Landsdowne Road 95 / Hitler worship.

As anyone in the know will tell you the headhunters are regarded as a joke in these kind of circles, hence the publicity they need to continue this myth.

Complete muppets Fans club & their robbing shyster owner alike
    Loch Garman Leinster Norf London Herd

Gooner Hurling Fascist!

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    i think the showdowns between dunc & dav are just hilarious keep it up! Actually i think you both would make a great double act, like ant&dec
    = Dunc & Dav

tee hee

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [b]

BTW, did ye notice how lifeless, how colourless and how mundane the Chelsea supporters were in Cardiff on Sunday?

No, I thought both sets of fans were pretty similar.
    Dunno were you at the game Duncan, but there was a distinct difference between the colour and support shown by both sets of fans reflected in an entry into the Guinness Book of Records for Liverpool's. The array of songs sung by Liverpool supporters are second to none for their wit and intelligence-and the full repertoire rang loudest in Cardiff. I'd love to share some with you Duncan but the effect of them might be lost through this medium. Let's say there are songs for at least 12 members of last weeks 16 and we're not just talking of chanting a players name either.

The crap that came from the other end was the same drivel Chelsea fans have "sung" for years. We got a "Super, super Frank... super Frankie Lampard", "Blue is The Colour", some "carefree wherever we maybe" boll**ks (which was changed accordingly by the Red end; lyrics on request!) and the very catcy "Chelsea, Chelsea , Chelsea" number.

There's no point in me starting on the difference in humour and originality of banners and flags flying at both ends. The blue sh*te seemed to be trying to set a record for the number of George's flags and Union Jacks defacing the beautiful Millenium Stadium; whereas at the other end Liverpool fans again showed more inventiveness and charm than the whole of London could shake a stick at.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSemi
    Dunno were you at the game Duncan, but there was a distinct difference between the colour and support shown by both sets of fans reflected in an entry into the Guinness Book of Records for Liverpool's. The array of songs sung by Liverpool supporters are second to none for their wit and intelligence-and the full repertoire rang loudest in Cardiff. I'd love to share some with you Duncan but the effect of them might be lost through this medium. Let's say there are songs for at least 12 members of last weeks 16 and we're not just talking of chanting a players name either.

The crap that came from the other end was the same drivel Chelsea fans have "sung" for years. We got a "Super, super Frank... super Frankie Lampard", "Blue is The Colour", some "carefree wherever we maybe" boll**ks (which was changed accordingly by the Red end; lyrics on request!) and the very catcy "Chelsea, Chelsea , Chelsea" number.

There's no point in me starting on the difference in humour and originality of banners and flags flying at both ends. The blue sh*te seemed to be trying to set a record for the number of George's flags and Union Jacks defacing the beautiful Millenium Stadium; whereas at the other end Liverpool fans again showed more inventiveness and charm than the whole of London could shake a stick at.
    Spot on. Now Dunc put that in your pipe and smoke it, and while your at it, take off the blue tinted glasses

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast