Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish diaspora in Italy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Irish diaspora in Italy

Thought it might be good to consolidate updates/discussion on our 4 Italian-based youngsters for next season: Zefi, Heffernan, Ebosele, Abankwah. Mods can feel free to merge somewhere else if not appropriate. It’s exciting though.

It is difficult to get information on how our current crop are really doing this season given they haven’t advanced to primavera (u19) level yet.

From my review on available resources (not formed from having seen any games), Heffernan seems to be doing excellent. He is starting regularly for their u18s (a year up), has been part of a 3 man central defense and has also played right back. Milan’s u18s have had a strong finish to the season with several clean sheets coinciding with Heffernan’s starts. Hopefully he will get a permanent deal soon, anyone with insight here? He looks in an excellent position to start for their primavera side next season which would be good progress.

Zefi has done well for their under 17s with a few goals and assists. Interestingly, Esposito appears to be their star striker, and has been appearing for their u18s too, seems a bit ahead of Zefi. Zefi has only made the bench once for u18s I think. I’m a bit surprised by Zefi’s lack of advancement through the age groups as season progressed. I expect I’m reading a bit too much into it. I know there’s the usual sound bytes from his agent Carr that things are going great, he has even trained with seniors etc. Hopefully it’s a matter of then managing his talent carefully and he will progress straight to their primavera side next season and bypass the u18s. On a side note, some people may recall Nolan had a star striker called Esposito as well during his Inter underage days who advanced quickly, I don’t think they are related.

Anyone with insight into current Udinese squad? Where will our guys fit in? Assume Abankwah will start with their primavera side? Ebosele an outside chance of establishing himself with first team? Watford loan as the cynics proposed?!

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    On a side note, some people may recall Nolan had a star striker called Esposito as well during his Inter underage days who advanced quickly, I don’t think they are related.
    They’re brothers. 3 in total. The oldest, a midfielder, played in Tallaght against ireland u21 in November. The middle, a striker, is probably the star of the 3, he’s on loan at Basel. And the third is Zefi’s age.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Being honest, Italian football has a terrible record of promoting youth, Serie A is among the most conservative leagues for bringing through young players so these lads are up against it from the start.

Does Heffernan even have a contract for next season yet, it was only a 6 month trial deal he was on I think? Ebosele has possibly only signed for Udinese as a cover for his real destination in time - Watford (same owners). Because Udinese are an overseas club they could sign him there cheaper than Watford could in terms of paying development fees etc. but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Watford within a season or two.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Being honest, Italian football has a terrible record of promoting youth, Serie A is among the most conservative leagues for bringing through young players so these lads are up against it from the start.

Does Heffernan even have a contract for next season yet, it was only a 6 month trial deal he was on I think? Ebosele has possibly only signed for Udinese as a cover for his real destination in time - Watford (same owners). Because Udinese are an overseas club they could sign him there cheaper than Watford could in terms of paying development fees etc. but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Watford within a season or two.
    Also helps them get around financial fair play especially if playing in the Championship. Wouldn't say Ebosele will be over there six months before he's at Watford on loan. Wouldn't be shocked if he's brought back to Watford in the summer with them in the Championship.

Similar with Abankwah. Unless he actually goes into the Udinese first team he'd be better off at Watford playing U23s than U19s in Italy.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Thought it might be good to consolidate updates/discussion on our 4 Italian-based youngsters for next season: Zefi, Heffernan, Ebosele, Abankwah. Mods can feel free to merge somewhere else if not appropriate. It’s exciting though.

It is difficult to get information on how our current crop are really doing this season given they haven’t advanced to primavera (u19) level yet.

From my review on available resources (not formed from having seen any games), Heffernan seems to be doing excellent. He is starting regularly for their u18s (a year up), has been part of a 3 man central defense and has also played right back. Milan’s u18s have had a strong finish to the season with several clean sheets coinciding with Heffernan’s starts. Hopefully he will get a permanent deal soon, anyone with insight here? He looks in an excellent position to start for their primavera side next season which would be good progress.

Zefi has done well for their under 17s with a few goals and assists. Interestingly, Esposito appears to be their star striker, and has been appearing for their u18s too, seems a bit ahead of Zefi. Zefi has only made the bench once for u18s I think. I’m a bit surprised by Zefi’s lack of advancement through the age groups as season progressed. I expect I’m reading a bit too much into it. I know there’s the usual sound bytes from his agent Carr that things are going great, he has even trained with seniors etc. Hopefully it’s a matter of then managing his talent carefully and he will progress straight to their primavera side next season and bypass the u18s. On a side note, some people may recall Nolan had a star striker called Esposito as well during his Inter underage days who advanced quickly, I don’t think they are related.

Anyone with insight into current Udinese squad? Where will our guys fit in? Assume Abankwah will start with their primavera side? Ebosele an outside chance of establishing himself with first team? Watford loan as the cynics proposed?!
    Zefi and Esposito play in different positions so I don’t think the two are directly comparable in that regard

From reading a-few reports from inter Twitter accounts supposedly they are managing Zefi’s game time this season, apparently letting him spend his first season settling in.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Will say though Heffernan has done quite well, a regular in the AC Milan u18s team as a 16 year old (the youngest in the team).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Will say though Heffernan has done quite well, a regular in the AC Milan u18s team as a 16 year old (the youngest in the team).
    He made his Primavera/U19 debut coming on at 85 minutes during their 4-2 win over Genoa at the weekend. Impressive. Still no word of whether he’s getting a contract once loan finishes…

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    He made his Primavera/U19 debut coming on at 85 minutes during their 4-2 win over Genoa at the weekend. Impressive. Still no word of whether he’s getting a contract once loan finishes…
    Clearly he is rated anyway, it’s interesting because in Italy things are done differently to England let’s say. In Italy apparently you are only allowed sign 3 foreign players for you’re academy (at-least that’s what I heard for Inter) so teams like AC Milan need to focus on quality and it could be possible that he misses out in narrow margins, although he’s gone well so who knows. If he was in England he would definetly have signed as they don’t really have much restrictions.

One thing to remember is he’s 18 next year, I wouldn’t say it’s impossible that he goes back to Cork City after this loan and get a full season of senior football, hopefully Premier division football, and then when he turns 18 go to England.

No one really knows behind the scenes, I didn’t find it odd from the beginning that this was a loan signing so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    What’s the latest here? Heffernan and Zefi still with the under 18 sides, and not primavera yet? This is disappointing. Ebosele may get a look in at Udinese, James needs to at least get primavera time vs loan to continue his development. Connolly should play a good bit by the looks of it. And Kerrigan still to make his league bow with Como?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well Como have only played one league game so far in fairness. He came on as a sub in the Cup, but didn't play last week v Cagliari.

They're away to Pisa tomorrow.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well Como have only played one league game so far in fairness. He came on as a sub in the Cup, but didn't play last week v Cagliari.

They're away to Pisa tomorrow.
    He might be able to lean on the coach for that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He might be able to lean on the coach for that one.
    That’s an interesting slant on the situation.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Both out of line, neither comment is balanced.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Both out of line, neither comment is balanced.
    Sometimes the gravity of the situation has to play out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Kerrigan on now for the last 20 minutes or so, 1-1. Connolly still on bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Udinese 1-0 down against a team playing with ten men since the fourth minute today, and still not a minute of gametime for either Ebosele or Abankwah. Udinese did win 2-1 with goals from two substitutes, so leaning them on the bench is arguably the correct decision, but it'd getting to the point where you have to wonder if the move was worth it for the two players

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Being on the bench is probably a different comment on both players too. Abankwah was at Pat's and to be on the bench at a Serie A side is decent. But Ebosele with a first-team squad number would be more disappointed.

(Ebosele did come on for the last ten minutes against AC Milan btw)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/09/2022 at 4:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I meant not a minute of football today. In a game where Udinese need a goal, and against a team playing with a player sent off since been early on you'd think Ebosele had a chance of some game time

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Actually 2 late goals for a 3-1 win, Udinese 4th in serie A, great start. Disappointing from irish perspective thus far but will need to be patient. A slight silver lining - they’ve gradually whittled down their subs bench from 14 to 11, and both irish still on bench.

Good to see Kerrigan and Connolly playing, but concerning to see both of their respective sides off to a woeful start. Danger in managerial change soon at both which will bring uncertainty.

Zefi and Heffernan seem to be resigned to u18 football at the start. Not much point getting excited at that level. Zefi did not make bench for the UEFA youth match. This is disappointing to me.

Too early for the UCD lad yet, expect to see him with their primavera side I assume?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I saw Stephen Kenny making a point recently about how Italy is not necessarily the best place for young Irish players to be going now that England is off limits for most until they're 18. Serie A clubs are notoriously slow to give youth a chance, especially the bigger clubs. Inter Milan in particular are infamous for producing almost nobody through their youth system, which is obviously a concern when one of our most highly rated young players is signed to them.and showing little sign of progression through their ranks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast