Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Under-16 Squad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Ireland should be 4 or 5-2 up. Thought the second goal might have been offside.

The second game is always tough, it's a significantly weaker Ireland team with a lot of their best players not involved (Umeh, Noonan, Finneran in the top tier - Ogbonna, Olatide, McDonnell, Topcu, Lee in tier two). Martos over Keeley is probably the only improvement and he's not having a good game at all. Really struggling to spray the ball with the pitch in rag order again.
    Ngl when I watched both matches in the first round I sort of feared this might happened. Even though we were clearly better against Scotland we let ALOT of chances go whereas by contrast Wales should have lost to NI but ofcourse like today got themselves a very fortuitous goal towards the end to nab a draw. It appeared all set up for Ireland to dominate but Wales to cling on or maybe even lead with another poxy goal but for it to go like this I never ever would have seen coming.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    And Noonan is on, gets 1 v 1 with the keeper and ofcourse we dont score. Story of the game, and you know Wales will get a similar chance and finish it...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Ireland score a penalty from the spot. Nothing less than we deserve, the fact Wales are even in the game never mind 2-0 up was an absolute farce.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Ireland secure another penalty but miss. However we score a minute later and its 2-2!!!

The footballing gods must have looked down and seen how much of an utter farce the 1st half was and have now restored my faith in the game!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Ireland secure another penalty but miss. However we score a minute later and its 2-2!!!

The footballing gods must have looked down and seen how much of an utter farce the 1st half was and have now restored my faith in the game!

Ireland score a penalty in the last kick of the game to win the game 3-2 and secure the cup!

Nothing less than we deserve, no question the better side has won and nuts of steel to come from 2-0 down!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Feels for the Welsh kid that gave the penalty away at the end. Wales can’t have complaints about the result, but that was cruel.

Just out of interest, but are those squads the strongest Scotland, Wales and the North can put out? Quite a quality gap between us and the rest if so.
    Last edited by ifk101; 09/11/2023 at 7:07 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Feels for the Welsh kid that gave the penalty away at the end. Wales can’t have complaints about the result, but that was cruel.

Just out of interest, but are those squads the strongest Scotland, Wales and the North can put out? Quite a quality gap between us and the rest if so.
    I don’t see why they wouldn’t as their u17s haven’t played for awhile, wales play u17s next week so maybe them but that’s at a push.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Scotland's u17s went out in the qualifying round for next year's U17 European Championship a month ago, after losing to Belarus and Turkey, so there could be a dip in quality for Scotland in that generation?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_U...cation#Group_7
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Scotland's u17s went out in the qualifying round for next year's U17 European Championship a month ago, after losing to Belarus and Turkey, so there could be a dip in quality for Scotland in that generation?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_U...cation#Group_7

It could be. But overall it's quite clear over the last 4-5 years that Ireland have clearly been the best nation at underage level across all major age groups at underage level from the nations in this tournament, u17-u21s, bar possibly the odd anomaly here or there. It's only a matter of time before this is reflected at senior level as well. Just like it was only a matter of time our demise over the last few years was going to be felt after developing new to nothing from the 1993-1997 age groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Sure, we’re producing better players relative to Scotland, Wales, and the North – but how high is that comparison benchmark? Wonder should we do an England, i.e., withdraw from the Victory Shield and concentrate resources on playing against different football styles/ higher quality opposition. Whatever about Scotland, we have already more outright wins of the tournament than Wales and the North despite only joining in 2015. Is there real value, in terms of player development, in having annual matches against this opposition level? This is not to knock the tournament – the games are enjoyable to watch and the players clearly enjoy taking part, just more in terms of maximising our limited resources for longer term benefit.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Sure, we’re producing better players relative to Scotland, Wales, and the North – but how high is that comparison benchmark? Wonder should we do an England, i.e., withdraw from the Victory Shield and concentrate resources on playing against different football styles/ higher quality opposition. Whatever about Scotland, we have already more outright wins of the tournament than Wales and the North despite only joining in 2015. Is there real value, in terms of player development, in having annual matches against this opposition level? This is not to knock the tournament – the games are enjoyable to watch and the players clearly enjoy taking part, just more in terms of maximising our limited resources for longer term benefit.
    Considering where we have been the last few years if we can get back to being the best home nation first and foremost, which I believe will happen it’s only a matter of when, that would be a good first bridge to cross at the very least granted like you said it’s questionable how high a bar that is.

I do agree though that it’s not the best opposition in terms of quality or style and in fact I’d say the competitions the u16s & u15s won at the end of last season were better for player development.

Either way we do have a rivalry with these nations, we have an opportunity to look at more players/systems and the players get a nice little trophy in their back pocket so it’s not all bad. They’ll have at least another 2 or 3 competitors this year and who knows some might jump up to the u17s like last year so overall the players will have enough opportunities for development this season.

And to answer you’re question of doing what England did, leave the tournament, I would say if we keep winning the tournament and our results at the higher levels such as u17/u19/u21 keep at a high level I’d say keep it but if the results dip maybe we have to look at what we are doing at u16/u15 which may include having a close look at this tournament.

When you look at it though our victory shield winners from 2016 got to the QF’s of the euros in 2018 at u17 level and a good portion of these players played a key role at u17 level in the 2017 QF’s. The group that won the VS last year played a key role at the u17 euros last summer getting a QF in the likes of Melia and Orazi, it remains to be seen if as a u17 group they’ll replicate it this time around.

Ironically the one age group that didn’t play in the tournament, 2005 group, are the only group to not make a u17 euros granted that just might be an anomaly!

To answer you’re question I think for now I don’t see any reason in leaving the tournament.
    Last edited by CSAD; 09/11/2023 at 11:53 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    HT and it's 1-1 at the break.

It amazes me for a side that has been so on top in all 3 games that we've had no luck whatsoever. Create numerous chances and either they go miraculously wide of the keeper has a stormers but then at the other end literally any time we've conceded a goalscoring opportunity its gone in...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    HT and it's 1-1 at the break.

It amazes me for a side that has been so on top in all 3 games that we've had no luck whatsoever. Create numerous chances and either they go miraculously wide of the keeper has a stormers but then at the other end literally any time we've conceded a goalscoring opportunity its gone in...
    Maybe some sort of Irish quantum mechanics (wink)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Ireland retake the lead (Republic that is).

1-2 Michael Noonan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Live stream on YouTube
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Ireland retake the lead (Republic that is).

1-2 Michael Noonan.
    Ireland score a 3rd to wrap it up!

1-3 to Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Live stream of U16s v Turkey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    All the goals from the 6-0 win against Greece earlier

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345