Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Moldova - Friday 6th October 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    If the fixtures were reversed, i.e. we started badly, lost to Serbia at home, drew with Georgia away, while Wales kicked off with a winning streak, before fading while we won in Austria and beat Georgia at home, would people's opinions be the same?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    No, definitely not, but then fans are always going to live in the moment and momentum is a big thing. Right now we feel like Scotland must have done in the last campaign, leaving a good opportunity slip through our fingers. The most deflating thing is knowing that even winning the remaining games will probably not be enough for a playoff spot.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Okay but you were talking about Coleman's comments after we lost to Serbia. If you want to talk about the halfway stage now fair enough, but that's not what I responded to. Stop moving the goalposts!

Coleman wasn't being overly positive by saying he was hoping we would beat Serbia, he was merely using his brain. Serbia beating us was 100% the worst possible result for Wales' qualification chances. The fact of the matter is they have to win their two games to have any chance of a playoff now, and even that might not be enough. If Serbia hadn't beaten us they could easily have topped the group by winning their two remaining games, or even a win and a draw might have been enough if Serbia lose in Vienna.

For all the talk about Coleman's positivity & O'Neill's negativity, there's very little between the two teams, and Wales are generally perceived as having a superior team. So who's actually underachieving?

I'm not defending O'Neill, by the way, I'm as frustrated as anybody else. I'm just trying to add a small bit of balance because I think you're being way too black & white about things... Coleman = Good, O'Neill = Bad.
    And regardless, no matter the outcome or any other possible outcome from that game between Irl and Serbia, Wales would still have to win their last two games.
    If Coleman said those word about preferring an Irish victory v Serbia, it's that such an outcome would have left a slither of a chance for Wales to top the group.
    Unfortunately for Wales, they tend to stutter at the end of a campaign, when the gift horse of qualification is staring them in the face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Kevin Doyle to miss out anyway...

Irish Times Sport Tweeting that he's retiring from football on medical grounds.

EDIT: Doyle posted the following on Twitter:

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    MON names him in the provincial squad on Tuesday, he retires on Thursday...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    This is amateur hour stuff ffs.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    This is amateur hour stuff ffs.
    Apologies, I'm blaming auto correct for confusing provincial and provisional.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    He managed to retire at the top, after being named in the intl squad and before he could have been shunted out in the cull.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He managed to retire at the top, after being named in the intl squad and before he could have been shunted out in the cull.
    Very strange that MON named a footballer on the verge of retirement from football in the provisional squad.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Very strange that MON named a footballer on the verge of retirement from football in the provisional squad.
    Colorado's season is still under way and Doyle was playing regularly until early this month. This was strange timing for the announcement and I don't think it was an expected one. I'd give O'Neill the benefit of the doubt here.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well presumably he hadn't thought to ring up all 32 players and ask them if they'd be retiring before the Moldova match.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Slightly worried that Martin is calling on the crowd for support in this one: "The crowd have been really, really fantastic and we will definitely need that support greatly if we're going to go through. Who knows what the next couple of weeks might bring in terms of injuries to other key players we have. We need the crowd badly in this game."
    Maybe he's over-egging it a bit, but his comment isn't that unusual in light of the context. It's fairly standard rallying-cry stuff as we near the end of the campaign and badly need positivity and momentum if we're to have any chance of scraping into the play-offs.

Also, the interview was with FAI TV; I'm sure his employers reminded him beforehand that the match isn't yet a sell-out (i.e. tickets still need sold).

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well presumably he hadn't thought to ring up all 32 players and ask them if they'd be retiring before the Moldova match.
    But wouldn't you expect there to be at least someone at the FAI who verifies the availability of proposed call-ups in advance of the publication of a squad-list, just in case of injuries and whatnot? O'Neill knew to omit Walters, for example. I know Walters' issue was already publicised, but you still need to make sure everyone on your squad-list is available before publishing it, surely. You can't just assume availability. For me, it's not criminal, but it is embarrassing and is indicative of shoddy communication. At a time of heightened levels of frustration and disenchantment amongst supporters, the optics of it aren't good for the FAI and management team at all.

I remember Nigel Worthington selected Shane Duffy in an NI squad to play Albania back in 2010, only for Shane to then declare his unavailability and "withdraw". Worthington was ridiculed and justifiably so.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't know, but as you know he has form with selecting injured players. Still, for all we know when O'Neill announced the squad Doyle had no intention of retiring. I don't know his personal situation but I know many players across different sports have retired overnight on medical advice. It's not necessarily a decision you need to take a lot of time with when your long-term health is at stake.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Exactly Charlie, we don't know when Doyle went for these tests, or when he got the results. It's entirely possible O'Neill spoke with Doyle, or management at Colorado, before naming the squad and was told the striker was available.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Perhaps it was a nice touch to include Kevin Doyle in the Squad . Had he not then there would have been speculation about stuff .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Easy to tell things aren't going well on the pitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Perhaps it was a nice touch to include Kevin Doyle in the Squad . Had he not then there would have been speculation about stuff .
    It's possible, and Charlie and tets make fair points too, although the last time Doyle was in a Rapids match-day squad was when he played against LA Galaxy on the 2nd of September. He wasn't even on the bench for their three games since. It was already publicly-known that his absence over the past month was due to a head injury. Here's a preview for the Rapids' game against Houston Dynamo a week after the Galaxy game which confirmed that Doyle was to miss out due to a head injury: https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2...olorado-rapids

In light of that, there should have been at least questions over his availability. Of course, it's possible that these questions were asked of Doyle in advance and it's also possible that Doyle had said he thought he would be available before then changing his mind, but I just don't sense that's likely for some reason. I accept it's a pure hunch on my part though.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Easy to tell things aren't going well on the pitch!
    Heh, maybe so. It can be easier to give the benefit of the doubt when things are rosy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Think I'd be using this game to blood Declan rice,hes likely our future box to box midfielder.we're short at the moment with injuries to McCarthy and Arter and the reality is probably that qualification has gotten away from us in this campaign.i would have given him a run out with Meyer whose been exceptional whenever called upon,chance to build his confidence with little to lose

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Maybe Martin knew and named him so so Kevin could go out on a high so to speak?

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Hard to know where Rice will eventually end up, be it centre half or centre mid. He has the physique for a centre half but the technique for centre mid.

Meyler with a goal and an assist today. Bodes well. Delighted for him.

27. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast