Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Moldova - Friday 6th October 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I see Aiden O'Brien was born in Islington; I'm guessing he qualifies through one or two Irish parents? He's clearly delighted to get the call-up but I fear any celebrations will be slightly premature as I suspect he'll be excluded from the final cut.
    Good question. I'm not sure either. I know he's been with us for a good while (since under 17).

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Good question. I'm not sure either. I know he's been with us for a good while (since under 17).
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I see Aiden O'Brien was born in Islington; I'm guessing he qualifies through one or two Irish parents? He's clearly delighted to get the call-up but I fear any celebrations will be slightly premature as I suspect he'll be excluded from the final cut.
    Grandparents according to this - https://www.newsatden.co.uk/64469-ha...wall-star.html

3. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Slightly worried that Martin is calling on the crowd for support in this one: "The crowd have been really, really fantastic and we will definitely need that support greatly if we're going to go through. Who knows what the next couple of weeks might bring in terms of injuries to other key players we have. We need the crowd badly in this game."

We SHOULD be able to beat Moldova in an empty stadium with just Davey Keogh and his flag looking on. From my years of watching football, the urge from a manager for support from the crowd means the manager is not confident at all. If he thinks we need the crowd to beat Moldova, well then....
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's true we should be winning regardless. I suppose, though, these are the types of games where the crowd can start off complacent and become increasingly frustrated when things aren't going as expected. He's just trying to create a positive atmosphere from the start, no major harm in that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Slightly worried that Martin is calling on the crowd for support in this one: "The crowd have been really, really fantastic and we will definitely need that support greatly if we're going to go through. Who knows what the next couple of weeks might bring in terms of injuries to other key players we have. We need the crowd badly in this game."

We SHOULD be able to beat Moldova in an empty stadium with just Davey Keogh and his flag looking on. From my years of watching football, the urge from a manager for support from the crowd means the manager is not confident at all. If he thinks we need the crowd to beat Moldova, well then....
    I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Its the first interview and its directly to the FAI. He is appealing to his KYC. And getting the fans fired up for 2 important games.

If he comes out and says it at anytime from now on in, then I'll agree with you.

His negativity has got us into the situation where we are highly unlikely to quality but not impossible with 2 games to go. It's all his own doing, and finally we see shoots of positivity in his talk. Contrast that to how Coleman has conducted himself, and how he was in interview(s) directly after the summer when 4 or so points off 2nd spot, he was extremely confident with only 4 games left to play. Its telling who is going to get 2nd spot and possibly reach a play-off and who isn't.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think it's natural for a manger to urge caution when his team are in a good position, just as it's natural to urge optimism when things are going wrong. I think you're making too much of the contrast between Coleman & O'Neill in this instance. After we drew 1-1 at home to Scotland in the last campaign, when all seemed lost, O'Neill was very quick to emphasise how there would be twists and turns and that we're not out of it yet. Pretty similar to Coleman when Wales found themselves four points adrift.

Admittedly, O'Neill's constant talking down of the quality of our playing pool is a different matter. He does counteract it somewhat by emphasising our strength of character, etc.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    It's an odd squad. Only 7 defenders so hard to see any of them dropping out. If one of the 7 of them drop out MON could be looking at cutting some midfielders and forwards, while adding defenders who aren't in the original squad.

I've always considered one of the advantages of these big squads as being to avoid having to add guys as replacements after naming the initial squad. I've always considered it to be a smashing idea. But the logical conclusion of that would be to have another 2-4 defenders in the initial squad.

There are people there who should have been shown the door after the last 2 games.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I've always considered one of the advantages of these big squads as being to avoid having to add guys as replacements after naming the initial squad. I've always considered it to be a smashing idea. But the logical conclusion of that would be to have another 2-4 defenders in the initial squad.
    I think the large provisional squads are terribly frustrating. I can only imagine what it's like for the players involved.

Take Liam Kelly's first time being named in a provisional squad, he was delighted with his call up, sent out a tweet, got congratulatory tweets from team-mates etc, only to be cut from the squad before the meet-up and he still hasn't had the chance to be involved. Something similar happened to Chris Forrester for the spring friendlies before the Euros and I expect the same to happen to Aiden O'Brien next week.

I wonder do the likes of Matt Doherty & Greg Cunningham (before his injury) even take notice of the squad announcements anymore?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    I think the large provisional squads are terribly frustrating. I can only imagine what it's like for the players involved.

Take Liam Kelly's first time being named in a provisional squad, he was delighted with his call up, sent out a tweet, got congratulatory tweets from team-mates etc, only to be cut from the squad before the meet-up and he still hasn't had the chance to be involved. Something similar happened to Chris Forrester for the spring friendlies before the Euros and I expect the same to happen to Aiden O'Brien next week.

I wonder do the likes of Matt Doherty & Greg Cunningham (before his injury) even take notice of the squad announcements anymore?
    Yeah, I could see some of the benefits in it at one stage but I'm inclined to agree with all of the above now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Its the first interview and its directly to the FAI. He is appealing to his KYC. And getting the fans fired up for 2 important games.

If he comes out and says it at anytime from now on in, then I'll agree with you.

His negativity has got us into the situation where we are highly unlikely to quality but not impossible with 2 games to go. It's all his own doing, and finally we see shoots of positivity in his talk. Contrast that to how Coleman has conducted himself, and how he was in interview(s) directly after the summer when 4 or so points off 2nd spot, he was extremely confident with only 4 games left to play. Its telling who is going to get 2nd spot and possibly reach a play-off and who isn't.
    Agree with this. To be four points ahead of another team with five games to go and then to find yourself trailing that team by a point is nothing short of a catastrophe. And it all started when MON made the wrong team selection for the game at home to Austria. Unforgivable. It's one thing if players don't perform (and let's be honest they have been abysmal some of them which is not MON's doing) but when the manager shoots himself in the foot........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Welsh squad named: http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/coleman...ucial-matches/
    Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey, Danny Ward, Chris Maxwell.
    Defenders: Ben Davies, James Chester, Neil Taylor, Chris Gunter, Tom Lockyer, Ashley Williams, Ethan Ampadu.
    Midfielders: Joe Allen, David Edwards, Andy King, Joe Ledley, Aaron Ramsey, Jonathan Williams, David Brooks.
    Forwards: Gareth Bale, Marley Watkins, Hal Robson-Kanu, Sam Vokes, Tom Lawrence, Ben Woodburn.
    Brooks played for England in the Toulon tournament in the summer
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Agree with this. To be four points ahead of another team with five games to go and then to find yourself trailing that team by a point is nothing short of a catastrophe. And it all started when MON made the wrong team selection for the game at home to Austria. Unforgivable. It's one thing if players don't perform (and let's be honest they have been abysmal some of them which is not MON's doing) but when the manager shoots himself in the foot........
    Ya, in the one statement alone where Coleman said that he had hoped "Ireland had beaten Serbia", it shows exactly how confident he is and in his team. Marked contrast to Oneill.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Or maybe Coleman is just astutely aware that the worst runner-up will probably come from our group.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Welsh squad named: http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/coleman...ucial-matches/

Brooks played for England in the Toulon tournament in the summer
    Wales are getting good at this....getting players to choose Wales . We are not as good as we were for whatever reason .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Bale didn't train with Real today: https://twitter.com/LucasNavarreteM/...70546871685120
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Wales are getting good at this....getting players to choose Wales . We are not as good as we were for whatever reason .
    Because they got to a semi final of a European competition, and before that qualified pretty emphatically for the Euro's themselves.

Or maybe Coleman is just astutely aware that the worst runner-up will probably come from our group.
    I think at this stage its much more likely that their best route of qualifying was 2nd above Ireland. Oneill was saying he'd have bitten your hand off for a while now saying a last game win to make the play-offs. Coleman near the halfway stage was still talking about wanting to win the group, he could hardly have predicted that outcome back then.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 28/09/2017 at 2:19 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

20. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post

Kelly was selected for the final squad a while back but got injured.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Getting to play with Bale, a player who can single-handedly drag you to a Euros semi, is probably a factor.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bale just plays a supporting role to Ramsey, Charlie.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I think at this stage its much more likely that their best route of qualifying was 2nd above Ireland. Oneill was saying he'd have bitten your hand off for a while now saying a last game win to make the play-offs. Coleman near the halfway stage was still talking about wanting to win the group, he could hardly have predicted that outcome back then.
    Okay but you were talking about Coleman's comments after we lost to Serbia. If you want to talk about the halfway stage now fair enough, but that's not what I responded to. Stop moving the goalposts!

Coleman wasn't being overly positive by saying he was hoping we would beat Serbia, he was merely using his brain. Serbia beating us was 100% the worst possible result for Wales' qualification chances. The fact of the matter is they have to win their two games to have any chance of a playoff now, and even that might not be enough. If Serbia hadn't beaten us they could easily have topped the group by winning their two remaining games, or even a win and a draw might have been enough if Serbia lose in Vienna.

For all the talk about Coleman's positivity & O'Neill's negativity, there's very little between the two teams, and Wales are generally perceived as having a superior team. So who's actually underachieving?

I'm not defending O'Neill, by the way, I'm as frustrated as anybody else. I'm just trying to add a small bit of balance because I think you're being way too black & white about things... Coleman = Good, O'Neill = Bad.

27. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast