Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday 5th September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    After seeing Burnley win again today to take their tally to 7 points from 4 games, it, again, makes me wonder what the point was in playing a clearly half fit 34 year old in two games in 72 hours when he hasn't started a league game all season; not even in his best position to boot.

When a player admits he was selected in a squad for an International tournament, and started the first game, despite being unfit to participate, and the same mistake repeats itself a year later, and you have a manager publicly saying he will let one player decide himself if he wants to play, I am surprised more isn't made of it; especially when you consider the criticism players like Shay Given received in the past.

James McCarthy, too, was selected in the starting line up not long before this despite carrying an injury and was injured in the prematch warm-up.

Now if Walters was as important to us someone like Mkhitaryan would be to Armenia it would be understandable but we're a sum of our parts team.

The decision was made to look all the more ridiculous when you had Daryl Murphy come on and win a free kick right outside the box, get a player sent off, (almost) win a penalty and do something that Walters failed to do over two games and test the goalkeeper.

Long had absolutely no support up front and had to constantly run the channels; despite this, over the two games, he set one up on a plate for McClean, almost scored from outside the box against Serbia and tested the goalkeeper on several other occasions.

Yet, he will continue to carry the can and everyone will look to the next Folan/Best/Cox in Scott Hogan - despite 1 goal in his last 18 league games.

Which leads me to my next complaint..

Another complaint I have is that if players were selected on merit instead of hype then Meyler would've been in the team ahead of Arter against Georgia.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Yes, it was all Walters' fault. Long could do no wrong.

Hogan has proved at Championship level to be better than just another Cox, Best or Folan. He's had a bad run and been unlucky with the style of play under Bruce.

Arter is a proven PL midfielder. Meyler is a rotational Championship midfielder. There is hardly a body of work that Meyler can point to at international level either. Arter has a lot to do for us now as he adjusts to international football but Meyler has hardly painted himself as the new Roy Keane and Tuesday's performance totally stands out from his others for us.

Don't let context get in the way of your own agendas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Yes, it was all Walters' fault. Long could do no wrong.

Hogan has proved at Championship level to be better than just another Cox, Best or Folan. He's had a bad run and been unlucky with the style of play under Bruce.

Arter is a proven PL midfielder. Meyler is a rotational Championship midfielder. There is hardly a body of work that Meyler can point to at international level either. Arter has a lot to do for us now as he adjusts to international football but Meyler has hardly painted himself as the new Roy Keane and Tuesday's performance totally stands out from his others for us.

Don't let context get in the way of your own agendas.
    I place most of the blame for playing an unfit 34 year old sorely lacking in match practice 2 times in 72 hrs at O'Neill's feet. And I thought O'Neill's comments about not being afraid to play Walters even if he was unfit were brazenly stupid. That doesn't mean Walters escapes blame because he acknowledged a few months ago he shouldn't have played against Sweden and he did the same thing again here.

Meyler was better than Arter in the 1-0 win in Vienna. Arter has one full season of PL football as a reference point. Meyler has spent the majority of his career in the PL with a couple of seasons at the top end of the Championship.

I mentioned on another thread that Martin, McCormack and Rhodes have all done it for a longer period of time at Championship level and have failed to transfer their form to a higher level.

Hogan still has it all to prove.

Long isn't blameless. He's just one of a number to suffer from decisions like playing injured players and failing to play others in their best positions.

Walters, Murphy, Long, McClean, McGeady and Brady left on at the end against Georgia.

Hourihane the closest thing to a CM left on at the end against Serbia.

What on earth was he thinking?

I'm beginning to think when we were getting all those positive results under O'Neill, he was just winging it like Homer Simpson when he saved the nuclear plant from a meltdown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Highlights
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789