Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday 5th September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Any chance o Neill will feck off tonight .....and apart from going bananas if we score my view won't change.
    Agree - taking off Hoolahan summed what an idiot he is- a chancer who's been truly exposed.

2 points at home from Serbs,Wales and Austria sums it up

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Got what we deserved there tbh. Poor poor stuff. Subs were confusing; not the kind of guys I'd have called on at such a key moment.

But ultimately we ran out of steam and had very few ideas.

Don't know to what extent that's O'Neill and to what extent it's the lack of players coming through.

We're in for a long spell in the doldrums here

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Wales at home and Serbia at home we have had a man advantage against higher seeded teams for much of the game but still failed to score. I know he's hated with a rabid passion on here due to comments about the LoI, but I think Trap was a better manager than Martin O'Neil if I'm honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Duff is right its not tonight its the abysmal play and management in previous games. Watch o Neill come out now and say we deserved something tonight as if the rest of the group matches never happened....

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

We're in for a long spell in the doldrums here
    We should still be ok to make Euro 2020, given so many teams qualify. Anyway at every world cup there is usually at least one Uefa team which is somewhat lacking in flair but well managed (Capellos Russia in 2014, Slovenia and Slovakia in 2010, possibly Poland in 2006). It's hard but we would have a chance with a competent manager.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    A lot of semi-decent sides didn't make the last Euros. Wouldn't need as confident as to say we "should be ok"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I can't fault the effort. The players gave their all but I do sometimes wish they would use their brains.

Walters pushing defenders, McClean thinking he's Messi and shooting from 30 yards and
    Christie never learning to cross a ball.

I thought we played well until the goal went in and then we pressed the panic button. Walters is either finished or not fit. He would have stayed with Kolarov 2 or 3 seasons ago.

I'm presuming Hoolahan is struggling after the injury rumours. Meyler played well.

I'm watching on Sky and they show the Welsh first goal....the 17 year old lad from Liverpool comes on a sub, burns his man and puts in a beautiful ball for the goal. You could ask McClean, Brady and Christie to try that 100 times each tonight and they'd overhit it. That sums us up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Well, that's that then.

Great start and we showed such promise but we just turned to muck again in the second half once Wes was brought off. Was he injured or what? Even with Serbia down to ten men, we couldn't take advantage because the second-half tactics aren't effective for exploiting an extra man. Same as against Wales when they went down to ten men after Taylor got sent off.

Even if we do beat Wales in Cardiff (which is extremely unlikely) and finish second, we're almost certain to miss out on the play-offs. We're relying on miracles. The RTÉ pundits seem to be assuming that a win in Wales will be enough for us. Clueless.

Such a deflating few days when things were looking so hopeful only a few months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Don't forget we should have got a penalty. How a supposed top ref misses something as blatant as that beggars belief. Gutted. We ultimately aren't good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just listening to Martin O'Neill's post-match interview with Tony on RTÉ there and he thinks qualification is "still in our hands". What planet is he on? He's getting paid thousands to qualify us for the World Cup and evidently hasn't even done his homework on the criteria group runners-up have to satisfy in order to qualify for the play-offs. Because the worst runner-up out of the nine groups doesn't qualify for the play-offs, we're relying on multiple very unlikely results to go our way in other groups now (if we do somehow finish second, that is).

At present, Wales are the lowest ranked of the second-placed teams:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Go for it TOD ask him will he leave if we don't win our last two matches

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Martin O'Neill thinks qualification is "still in our hands". What planet is he on? He's getting paid to qualify us for the World Cup and evidently isn't even aware of the criteria for qualifying for the play-offs. We're relying on multiple very unlikely results to go our way in other groups.
    You're right, it is unlikely we'll qualify even if we beat Wales, but if Bosnia are beaten by Belgium in Belgium, they'd have to beat Estonia at home in their last match assuming we beat Moldova and Wales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I haven't left a match as gutted in such a long time.

I just can't work out the decision making that was on view tonight.

Whatever about taking Hoolahan off because he had tired, the lack of shape and brainless play that followed his exit was just gutting.

There's just so much I want to say but ultimately I'm too tired, sad and angry to convey it.

Such a shame. But we have ended up with what we deserved for such moronic management earlier in the group.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Long time listener,first time caller....damage done earlier in this group,we'll look back and weep over the opportunity that was there to qualify out of this group,obviously there's still a chance but have to be pessimistic.This type of performance should be the template,aggressive,high tempo mixing it with good football.Meyler superb,mobility in the middle of the park?...what's that all about!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Gutted. Just gutted.

I thought we were superb. Threw everything at them. It just didn't happen.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    You're right, it is unlikely we'll qualify even if we beat Wales, but if Bosnia are beaten by Belgium in Belgium, they'd have to beat Estonia at home in their last match assuming we beat Moldova and Wales.
    This is what drives me mad about rte TOD should have said to that Muppet o Neill well even if we beat Wales we are probably out and not allow him give out this BS let's win our next two matches rubbish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Is no one on this panel aware that 2nd place probably won't qualify ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    This is what drives me mad about rte TOD should have said to that Muppet o Neill well even if we beat Wales we are probably out and not allow him give out this BS let's win our next two matches rubbish
    It's obvious that nobody at RTÉ had done their homework on the play-off qualification criteria either as the three pundits and Darragh were all talking about "getting into the play-offs if we beat Moldova and Wales" as well. These guys are getting paid, like...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Group F could do us a favour. Scotland could beat Slovakia and then mess up away at Slovenia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Bosnia need to beat Belgium. If they don't then that opens the door to Greece who have an away tie against Cyprus.

It's the hope that kills us.

Even if somebody did do us a favour we'd still need to beat Wales. Can you see that happening? They'll need to go for it as well.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast