Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday 5th September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Hoolahan, if not injured, could have come on with 10 minutes to go in Georgia. They were knackered and we were the more likely to score. He would still have been fresh for tonight too.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    So if we draw tonight, we need to win in Wales.
    If we draw tonight and in Wales, and manage to best Wales on GD and get second place, we will be eliminated as the worst 2nd placed team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I'd say It's impossible to accurately project anything ahead about that worst 2nd place team situation. Far to many moving parts.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Precisely. When you have a mindset of "the result is all that matters" it is ok because it is stating the obvious and nobody can criticize you for that. But it's a kop out. Questions need to be answered about the 'conspiracy' which was Ireland's performance in Georgia. How can any team knowingly and willingly hand possession back to another team with such regularity? It just doesn't make sense and anyone who tries to justify it needs to see a shrink. Had Conor McGregor stood there last week, from the opening bell, and invited Mayweather to hit him on the chin as many times as he could, we'd have all asked for our money back. But yet some on here are trying to justify exactly that from the football team. Sixty-four thousand dollar question - did O'Neill tell them to do that beforehand, or did the players just say to themselves: "To hell with the manager's instructions to play a passing game, we're just going to hoof it long and take the night off"
    You seem to think that possession is the be all and end all. The Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal game a few years ago springs to mind. Arsenal lost 3-0 but the possession figures were 71% 29% in their favour. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/34578025

Wednesday's plan was almost identical to MON's. They didn't mind conceding possession, defended well and hit Arsenal on the break. The trouble with Saturday's game was while we defended well most of the time, we didn't for the one attack where they scored and we missed our chances and should have won 1-3 despite the dearth of possession. I am not going to defend players unable to control a ball, and careless passing and many apparently aimless long balls but it really doesn't bother me if the result is in our favour. There are those who go to a football match to be entertained. If I am watching two teams in which I have no interest, yes I'd like to be entertained. If I am watching MY team, I want to see it WIN and entertainment is very much secondary.

Those who say MON is tactically inept, they should have a look at his record. You don't win trophies on motivational skills alone. Villa went in to free fall after he left. He had a plan on Saturday but too many players were off their game and especially one of the so-called creative players, Arter. It was a poor performance but I think we've had enough good performances/results under MON not to throw the baby out with the bath water. I think he is conservative and I was annoyed that he paid the Austrians and the Welsh in particular too much respect when they came here but I think he's entitled to our support for the moment.

Let's see in 6 hours how things stand before we meet Caesar on the steps of the Forum with our daggers drawn.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 05/09/2017 at 3:15 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'd just like to say good luck, and we're all counting on you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Supposed Lineup:

Walters
    McClean
    Brady Hourihane Harry F. Arter Horgan
    Ward Clark Duffy Agatha Christie
    Randolf

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    "Surely you cant be serious, I am serious and stop calling me surely"

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Those who say MON is tactically inept, they should have a look at his record. You don't win trophies on motivational skills alone.
    How influential was former-assistant John Robertson to O'Neill's past successes? I don't know enough about Robertson or his past relationship with O'Neill to answer that, but it's just something worth noting as I do know it has been said that Robertson was really the one who provided the tactical nous in that duo. Robertson hasn't been with O'Neill since Villa. O'Neill's later stint at Sunderland, where he didn't have Robertson by his side, ended sourly with O'Neill getting the sack. He was then appointed Ireland manager, of course, also without Robertson by his side (although O'Neill has achieved some exceptional and momentous results as Ireland boss, granted).

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Robbo did a lot of scouting for MO'N. I had heard rumours he was helping out with Ireland in the scouting department but not heard anything concrete.

MO'N isn't stupid. He knows football - when you spend that long with Clough it's inevitable. He has never been one for working with the players on the training ground 24/7 but nor was Fergie or Clough. Like Owlsfan says you don't get to that level just on charisma.

I expect a few changes tonight and a performance. I'm just hoping Whelan doesn't start. Let's get somebody mobile in there and make things uncomfortable for Serbia. If you let Matic dictate MF we are in trouble. Quality operator that needs to be shut down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Playoff table doesn't look too good for Ireland foments one reporter.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-36101195.html

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Not sure why the papers are talking about the play offs because if we win our last 3 matches we qualify as group winners, and if the team grew some balls all the matches are winnable. On the other hand a play off spot could see us come up against a better team than either Wales or Serbia. I though Serbia were there for the taking in our first game, we simply sat back after scoring. I also haven't seen anything about Wales to be scared of in this group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Not sure why the papers are talking about the play offs
    So you are like this guy?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Hoolahan and Meyler in for Whelan and Arter. Flight about to take off. Hope to land to good half time news!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Promising indeed. Formation though? Walters on wing?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Three wingers if Walters out wide though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Interesting, there's goal in that there team! ;-)

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    4-3-3 RTE radio saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    It's attacking. Where does Brady play?

At least under this regime if you play like muck there are changes next game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    At least under this regime if you play like muck there are changes next game.
    Fair point, although as SvD indicated earlier, it's all very reactive rather than proactive.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast